Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-20-2011, 02:35 AM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

We are in New Zealand getting ready for our second season of cruising. Trim will be leaving Vuda Point Fiji at the end of April and plan to visit many of the island groups there before crossing to Vanuatu for some diving. Our plan to is be in Brisbane by September 2011. This should be a very relaxed sailig season with the focus being on diving this year.

Our IMIS Jackline Insurance ends March 15th before we return to Fiji and we are looking for a good Blue Water Insurance company out of Australia. I have heard that you can get Blue Water insurance out of OZ for considerably less than what we are paying to IMIS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Ken & Lori

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0083.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	1690

Old 02-20-2011, 02:51 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Hey, you're back to visit us a bit, eh?

We've been following your blog and it looks like you're having grand times.

You may wish to contact Jon on Syzygy (http://syzygysailing.com/) via their website. Sorry, we don't know Jon. The folks we know, Mat and Karen, are off the boat and back in the USA. For the life of me I can't find their email info. However, I'm pretty sure that Jon would be doing the same as you and getting the Oz insurance for the rest of his trip and would be happy to share info.

Good luck,

Brenda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

Our IMIS Jackline Insurance ends March 15th before we return to Fiji and we are looking for a good Blue Water Insurance company out of Australia. I have heard that you can get Blue Water insurance out of OZ for considerably less than what we are paying to IMIS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hey Trim,

Welcome to Oz (well in a few weeks I guess).

The last few Blue Water crossings we've done we've been with nautilusinsurance.com.au. They were certainly one of the more competitive insurers although we did have coastal insurance with them as well and the Blue Water was just an extension of that. Most Australian insurers are now insisting you have an out of water survey if the hull is more than ten years old. Club Marine were insisting we did that yearly which was a bit of a joke and I think they really alienated a lot of yachties by that move. We had full coastal insurance through their office in Perth after a comprehensive out of water survey. Eleven months later when we sailed to Cairns and got ready to renew through their Queensland office, they insisted we had to have another one Hence we moved to Nautalus.

As always - it pays to shop around - not sure what the go is for foreign vessels in our waters and Blue Water - may have to talk to a few insurers. Then again, you might want to look at a much better option - become Aussies yourself! Repeat after me..'well spank me koala and paddle me kangaroo no lie wombat pie!

Fair winds - and if you get up to Cairns (the better part of Oz cruising) drop in and say hi!
Old 02-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Becoming Aussies certainly isn't out of the question and something we have considered.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:14 AM   #5
Commander

Send a message via MSN to Qldcruiser

Hey Trim, I concur with the Nautilus advice.

Was the best quote we got and was a pretty good company to deal with to boot.

When you get to Brisbane I would love to catch up for a drink or three.

Cheers

Rob & Annette

S/V Blue Lady

Tags
australia