Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-05-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi All,

I am looking for ideas on which boats to look at for year round live aboard. We are a couple in our mid 50s living in central Florida. Our near term plans are to live aboard for the next several years and to travel the snowbird routes of the east coast and the Caribbean. We are considering expanding our horizons to include the Pacific, so I would want something we would feel comfortable in the open ocean.

We are particularly interested in around the 40'-45' range with generous fuel and water capacity. I personally like the Endeavour 42 design for live aboard and coastal cruising, however I do not know anything about it's seaworthiness.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Old 11-05-2008, 06:11 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee
Hi, Tom,

You might consider getting a copy of the Cruising Club of America book called "Desirable and Undesirable Characteristics of Offshore Yachts." Google link here to preview. While various of us will point you in various directions for a good cruising boat that is also a good live-aboard boat, its best for you to understand what makes a good offshore boat and do your own screening based on a set of criteria that you personally have developed.

Also, use the search engine on the Cruiser Log website and you'll find several threads about selecting a cruising boat. For example, I like full keel boats, so I entered that search term and here's the threads (most relating to selecting a cruising boat) with the term full keel. Here's the search I did link

Looking forward to hearing more about your boat selection process as you go along.

Fair winds,

Brenda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:21 PM   #3

Oh, Tom... I know nothing about the Endeavor 42, btw. But, isn't that a power boat? If so, the reference I gave you may not really help.

Best regards,

Brenda

Old 11-05-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Oh, Tom... I know nothing about the Endeavor 42, btw. But, isn't that a power boat? If so, the reference I gave you may not really help.

Best regards,

Brenda
Brenda, thanks for the feedback. I will follow your advice.

BTW, Endeavour made sailboats from the mid 70s to the mid 90s. The 42 was produced from 85 to 91. I have had good reports on the Endeavours as live aboards but would like to hear from anyone with knowledge of the character offshore.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 11-05-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
Admiral

Hello Tom,

Just so that we are all talking about the same model - here's a photo of a Endeavour 42 centre cockpit sloop; does this match your vision?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Endevour_42.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	688

Richard
Old 11-05-2008, 11:14 PM   #6
Ensign

That's it. They also made a 43' Ketch.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Mitchell View Post
That's it. They also made a 43' Ketch.
That makes much more sense. I was thinking of the Camper & Nicholson Endeavor 42 which I'd heard about recently--totally a power boat and having nothing to do with cruising (see link for it here)

Old 11-06-2008, 03:30 PM   #8
Rear Admiral

I charted on this boat before I really understood sailing. I went with friends. I do remember it being roomy, and comfortable with a nice center cockpit. I can't give it a thumbs up, or down on it's sailing, but it seems it was medium. She wasn't a brick, or a thoroughbred, but that's not what she was designed for. She sure was comfy........BEST WISHES in getting a boat that serves you well.....i2f
Old 11-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #9
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I charted on this boat before I really understood sailing. I went with friends. I do remember it being roomy, and comfortable with a nice center cockpit. I can't give it a thumbs up, or down on it's sailing, but it seems it was medium. She wasn't a brick, or a thoroughbred, but that's not what she was designed for. She sure was comfy........BEST WISHES in getting a boat that serves you well.....i2f
I hate to be the one to say S%#t in the temple, but have you considered a catamaran ?? ratio of living space to overall length is much better on a cat, sails level too !!!!

good luck with your search

Pete
Old 11-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #10
Rear Admiral

I myself was directing my thoughts to the question. Their interst was in the Endeavour. In my own opinion all sailboats have to be red with white stripes, or it's not a sailboat.....lolololololol