I would think that time of year would be a real slog uphill. I wouldn't want to be going north in the winter. Waiting for windows could take an eternity. I believe there is a route well offshore that the clippers used to go north. If memory serves me it is 3-500 miles off shore. This leaves you with a due east beam sail, or a close reach getting into L.A.
Possibly waiting until the end of March sailing to Hawaii would be easier, and faster? Here is a couple I know from S.F. that made the same trip................i2f