Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #1
Commander

I am looking at buying a 1967 Pearson Electra, like the one pictured below:

The Pearson Electra is the pre-courser to the Pearson Ensign. The share the same hull, but the cockpit, cabin, and rig is different with the Electra being the "weekender" style. The Ensign weighs 3,000lbs, and the Electra is a bit heavier, though I'm not sure by how much.

They have fairly long overhangs, with the LWL being 16.8' (5.7' shorter than the LOA), and a transom bracket for an outboard engine. No getting away with a short-shaft on this boat, even a little pitching will pull the prop out of the water, and I need to pass through a body of water known for it's short, steep waves.

The boat I'm looking at is on the Atlantic side of Key Largo, FL, while I live in Bradenton (the bottom of Tampa Bay, where it meets the Gulf of Mexico and the Manatee River). I'll have to pass under the Card Sound Bridge, cross Florida Bay (the afore-mentioned rough body of water), and continue up the coast to Bradenton. A few hundred mile journey, half of it through the shallow maze that is the 10,000 Islands of Florida Bay.

The other option is to head further SW to Key West, then strike out across the Gulf of Mexico for a more direct, deep water route home. It would require covering a lot more distance, but with much less chance of getting lost.

During the summer, there is no reliable wind away from the mainland. I'll have to motor just about the entire trip- hence my concern for finding the right size engine for this boat.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
Admiral

Hi Seafarer,

The back of an envelope calculation of engine HP for a displacement vessel is based on :- 2<>2.5 HP per 1,000lb displacement - so we are looking 3000lb, plus say 15% = 3450lb

therefore 6.9 HP to 8.63HP.

On the basis of the above, one is looking at an outboard in the range 8<>9.8Hp ( these sizes in common availability) Preferably a long shaft or even better the ultralong. The Tohatsu/Nissan motors have 4 stroke models: 8A and 9.8A. (I have never owned one) They have all the characteristics needed for a sailboat similar to Pearson Electra.

Richard

PS: here is a website :- CLICK

Old 07-21-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to sydeva

The Yamaha 9.9 UL shaft 4-stroke (different model name/number in different countries) can't be beat, unless the other brands have come out w similar ultra-long 24" shafts w high torque 11" props.

We have a 38" ex-racing cat (was 2500 ish kg, now probably 4000 kg loaded for cruising) and we use two of these and have been very happy.

Main issues are corrosion inside the complex interior raw water cooling channels, and other normal issues involved in taking an essentially inshore system offshore for blue water cruising.

But if you can flush the engine consistently after use, should be perfect.

If you could come up w a satifactory solution for a side bracket on the quarter, you could use a normal long shaft OB possibly, and a bit less weight in the ends for better sailing pitching moment also. The 9.9 4-stroke is close to 100 lb. The 2-strokes are lighter, but not as clean or quiet, not good at low RPMs etc...

In our application, we could glide along w one OB in the water in smooth conditions at maybe 4 knots at very moderate RPM and using about 2 liters per hour, as I recall. Motorsailing would yield higher speeds. We only used both motors for manuevering, coming into marinas etc.

the 9.9 on the mono in the pic appears to be a 20" shaft. ours are 24" UL shaft, but can't see that in the pic. Note the stb cowl is off, bc the motor is perhaps a bit stuffed after Indian Ocean crossing and 8 years use in blue (salt) water.

Would you use remote start/shift/throttle and battery, or basic pull start w no remote?
Attached Thumbnails
deva_anchored_madagascar.jpg  
Old 07-21-2009, 01:26 AM   #4
Admiral

SyDeva

Question : what design is the cat pictured - it has either Australian or New Zealand features?

I like the 2500Kg ish! and the 4,000 kg loaded for cruising - is that all you get into the boat?

---------

Here is the spec for the Tohatsu/Nissan 9.9 extra long shaft for comparison with the Yamaha.

(BTW . Mercury's below 40HP are also made by Tohatsu/Nissan)

----

Engine Type: 9.8hp, 4-Stroke, 2-Cylinder, SOHC

Displacement: 209 cc (12.8 cubic inches)

Bore and Stroke: 55 x 44 mm (2.17 x 1.73 inches)

Full Throttle RPM Range: 5,000-6,000 RPM

Ignition System: Digital CD Ignition

Induction Scavenging: SOHC

Valves per Cylinder: 2

Fuel Delivery: Single Venturi Carburetor w/ Advanced Choke

Fuel Type: Unleaded Gasoline (87 octane)

Oil Type: SAE 10W-30 or SAE 10W-40 (SF, SG, SH, SJ)

Oil Capacity: 27 fl. oz. (800 ml)

Lubrication: Wet Sump

Starting System: Electric Start + Back-Up Thru-Cowl Manual Start

Alternator (INCLUDED): 12V 80W 6A (standard on elec. start models)

Cooling System: Water-Cooled, Thermostatically Controlled

C.A.R.B. Rating: Ultra-Low Emission (3-STAR)

Saltwater Rated: YES

Trim Positions: 6

Gear Ratio: 2.08:1

Gear Shift: Forward-Neutral-Reverse (front mount shifter)

Propeller: 8.5" Dia. X 8.0" Pitch 3-Blade Aluminum

Fuel Tank (INCLUDED): 3.1 Gal. Fuel Tank + Quick Connect Fuel Line

Transom Height: 25" Ultra-Long Shaft (shaft size help)

Weight: 92.6 lbs (42 kg)
Old 07-22-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
Commander

My last sailboat had the Yamaha 9.9 on a swinging transom bracket. It was an exceptional engine, though a bit heavy. I had it re-conditioned before selling the boat, which was on a trailer. I had to take it off the bracket and climb down a ladder with it, and do the reverse to remount it. 'Bout pulled my back out since it was so heavy.

Anyhow- the guy who bought that boat hasn't put it in the water yet- he's been fixing her up while sailing on his buddies boat. I'm going to see if he'll "rent" me my old engine. It has a 10AMP alternator on it to keep the battery charged to run the Autopilot and Navigation / Steaming lights.

Once I have the boat home I might go with a Yuloh for "outboard" power.

Tags
pearson