Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-07-2010, 03:20 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Home Port: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sooke
Send a message via MSN to BJSmith

I have limited information (noonsite) on Fisheries slipways in Colonia Yap State and Malakal Harbour Palau. Have any cruisers that have passed through these ports know if a sailboat could be hauled there?

Old 01-07-2010, 03:51 AM   #2
Rear Admiral

Hafa Dai BJ!

We passed through Yap ten years ago and had a ball! A good time to be there is the first three days of March for the annual Yap Days Calebration... or perhaps High School Graduation. Both of which are fine times to witness the real, traditional beauty of those fine islands.

There's a marine railway on the main island of Yap right next to the school and Capt. Serfer Single (the harbormaster) gave us permission to use it to our advantage. The only thing was - it needed some major work to get it up and running. All you'd really need is a new tractor motor, lots of blocks & tackle or perhaps an elephant to pull your boat up the ramp.

I can't say anything about Palau other than it's the finest diving destination I've ever been to.

There's a small liveaboard community on both Yap & Palau and I believe either would make a better place to ride-out Typhoon Season than any of the Marianas.

We hauled out with a crane on Guam but it's a little dangerous. If you're retired military you may be able to haul at the big navy base in Apra Harbor.

In my opinion, the best possibilities for hauling out in the region would be Madang, Papua New Guinea or any number of places in the Philippines... Cebu & Subic Bay come to mind.

Not possible on Saipan?

PM me (or facebook) if you want more info.

Cheers!

Kirk

Old 01-08-2010, 03:40 AM   #3
Lieutenant

Home Port: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sooke
Send a message via MSN to BJSmith

Greeting Kirk,

Thanks for your fast response.

It is possible to haul boats here on Saipan, but it is similar the Guam. You must hire a crane and build your own cradle. Very dodgy and very expensive to say the least.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:50 AM   #4
Rear Admiral

Depending on just how bad your barnicles are... it's about a ten day sail south through the Carolines to PNG and about the same to the Philippines. You'll want to bring all supplies with you.

We hauled in Madang for a week in 1997 at a cost of less than $400 USD including labor... I didn't even touch the hull or breath the dust! Bear in mind that PNG is always a bit dangerous in terms of rascals... but I had no problems at all. It's safe to sail there and back to the Marianas almost any time of year but it is a trans-equiatorial passage so you'll be motoring a lot.

It's a down wind run west to the Philippines so it would be a bit tougher to return to the Marianas... assuming you need to go back.

If you can put it off a while - I'd plan on hauling enroute while voyaging either toward Australia or Southeast Asia.

At least in Saipan or Guam you have good access to good supplies and affordable parts delivery by the US Postal Service... and you can probably successfully sue somebody if the crane operator screws-up and drops you... and your haul-out's free!

We departed Guam a few months after hauling there (with a crane) in 1999 and the next haul-out was at Rebak Resort Marina on the island of Langkawi, Malaysia after a delightful year cruising through Yap, central Philippines, Borneo, Singapore and day-hopping up the Malacca Straits. If you can - put it off until Rebak, where you'll find top notch facilities, a friendly crowd and cheap happy hour drinks in the pool to cool-off between coats of bottom paint! Supplies are readily available there and it's very affordable. Haul-outs are rarely "enjoyable"... but hauling at Rebak is about as nice as it can get when it comes to doing a dirty & toxic job... and you can relax in an air-conditioned bungalow while you're at it! Plus - it's near one of the finest cruising destinations in the entire world!

Jeanne - was it (is it) possible to haul at Kota Kinabalu or Sebana Cove???

To Life!

Kirk
Old 01-18-2010, 11:17 PM   #5
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to lang

I can tell you about Sebana Cove, we are situated there right now. A good place for a very long haulout for working on your own. You will need to build your own cradle and hire a crane to pull you out. The good thing going for Sebana is cheap living and access to part thru Singapore. The bad thing is, you cant hire any reliable or experience help.

There is a new setup for yachts hualout in Endau. Its near to Tioman. A marine railway run by people who used to do just fishing boats. They are not very knowleageable about yacht repairs or painting, so you will need to do alot of supervising yourself. Reviews I heard so far are mixed, but at least they are rather inexpensive too.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #6
Ensign

BJ,

Ya can haul in Palau, but it'll cost ya. Usually takes two cranes and I've heard it'll set you back 1,000 for that, but not 100% sure. There is a rail here, but again, that is rumored to be 1,000 per day! Those I've seen haul do it next to Neco Marine. Those particular yachts hit a reef and had to haul. If you really want to haul here I can find out exact costs and who you'd need to talk to. Typhoons have not been an issue for quite a long time here.

Yap - been there but did not haul. Supplies very limited unless you bring. Not a good place to be in a typhoon - moored, anchored or on land.

The Philippines has easy places to haul and supplies are easy enough to get. Just google it. Subic, Port Carmen/Danoa, Liloan (rail), etc.

I've used the Travel-lift in Kudat and it was fast and easy. Our 21' wide cat fit in no drama. Supplies limited and both power and water were touch and go around 2005-2006. Cost was around 200usd in/out and five days. At that time it got cheaper the longer you stayed out.

Hope this helps a bit!

Best,

Jay in Palau
Old 01-22-2010, 03:44 AM   #7
Rear Admiral

Welcome aboard, Jay... and thanks for the new haul-out info!

Tank Girl - what a cool movie!

If you should run into Joy & Leslie on s/v Banshee anchored in Palau, please give them our regards. Leslie is a telented fiberglass sculpter and Joy is a Hell-on-Wheels educator and sailor. They're an interesting pair!

Again - Welcome Aboard! and we hope to hear more from you... it takes a dedicated sailor to reach Yap and Palau and I'm sure there's a lot we can all learn from you.

All the Best - All the Time,

Kirk
Old 01-23-2010, 06:45 PM   #8
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Federated States of Micronesia on the World Cruising Wiki - HERE

Please add more info.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:51 AM   #9
Ensign

Kirk,

Maybe one of the moderators will have to move this...? But some more on Palau/Micronesia....

We've been getting alot more boats here in Palau. Up to 20 bona-fide cruisers have been here at one time which is pretty good for Palau. If anyone comes please clear in right off or don't go to shore or messing around until you do. It's fast and easy enough and a couple guys here have gone to great efforts to make yachts welcome (in the not so distant past is wasn't so). In the past a few boats have gone ashore...of course someone from Customs saw them at a bar and then recognized the next day as they cleared. Others try to clear out then loiter a couple/few/too many days and they always are spotted. Just not necessary behavior for here and it rubs local authority the wrong way. The customs and immigration officials are great people and they do not ask anything that's remotely a hassle so please don't hassle them! Clear in first day - leave the country immediately after clearing out unless you have a real emergency and notify port control if you do....no dramas.

Nearly all the yachts anchor next to Sam's Tours home of the Royal Belau Yacht Club. Here you will find friendly, helpful staff and a safe convenient place to land your dinghy. If one is interested they can join the YC for peanuts and get a discount on purchases at Sam's. Just check with the office. There's an outstanding group of people here that can help ya with just about anything or point you in the right direction. See www.samstours.com One can Google Earth the location and it's a quick motor around from the commercial port where you clear in. If one needs help, advice or assistance prior to arriving or a clearance liaison try emailing them. Super yacht crew might find this the most helpful.

This may be dated, but if one is passing through Yap or thinking about it, try emailing customs and/or immi in Pohnpei. You might be able to get you cruising permit scanned and emailed to you for no charge and they were tolerant if ya stopped somewhere before clearing IF you had this. just check with them.....

Google noaa oscar and one can see a 5 day surface current. The counter current is a major factor coming from PNG/Solomons, Irian Jaya and from the Philippines if coming to Micronesia. If one sails east from northern Mindanao it's worthwhile to head se till ya catch the current then swing back up to Palau or carry it more east for looping through FSM. One couple here rode it all the way due south of Hawaii then went north. It varies, but when the SW monsoon is pumping out of SE Asia it seems to help, of course, and the el nino thing effects it too.

Between the PI and Palau take extra-super care of the FADS. Typically STEEL barrels that look like a boiler anchored in miles of water with a huge swing radius. They float just a foot or two or so above the surface and others report not seeing them on radar. Some are bamboo/foam, but I've seen dozens that are metal. They start picking up in frequency just about the half-way point between Palau and the PI. Yachts have hit them....don't know of anyone having life-threatening damage. Pain in the bum for sure though! I've been trying to log gps co-ords for reference, but they come and go over the years. Email me if you need to and I'll pass on what we have.

If you are new to typhoon country be a chicken. The power of these storms is crazy! They can pop up fast. Palau has been lucky....one formed on us over-night and the winds were only 50-60 knots but that's a handful if you're anchored amongst coral. If one is not familiar with the FNMOC sight start watching it if you come through Micronesia. Clcik WXMap on the home page, then look under GLobal Models/Tropical Areas then NW Pacific - click NGP or GFS and then look for the surface barbs/windstream loop. While in Guam for an extended period this was a daily check. It proved very accurate for lots of us.

cheers - Jay
Old 01-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #10
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

I have added a link on the relevant pages on the Cruising Wiki pointing to the advice/information above.

Palau on the World Cruising Wiki - HERE

Please add more info to the Wiki page.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:52 AM   #11
Ensign

just came across these on an old drive.....might help someone?

- J
Attached Thumbnails
AERIAL___RBYC.JPG.jpg   MALAKALHARBOR.jpg