Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-19-2007, 05:08 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Book Research

I am writing a novel. A small part of the novel (approx 15 pages) is about sailing. I have very little knowledge about sailing. One of the main characters is a fugitive (embezzler)who is an expert on sailing.

My questions are: What is the largest sailboat he could sail alone. What kind and make would he purchase. Assume he has unlimited funds to purchase boat. What extras would he want (electronics & navigation aids, etc). Which coast, would would provide the ideal ocean, to sail on year round.

Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:58 AM   #2
Admiral

Hi,

I don't want to be hard on you but I saw that you had the same request under the Crewfinder section. This I removed as your request for information is better placed here in the sailing forum.

Regards

Stephen

Yacht NAUSIKAA

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
Ensign

Thank you for the "heads up".
Old 01-19-2007, 02:59 PM   #4
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Converted Post'
Originally posted by mccann426

I am writing a novel. A small part of the novel (approx 15 pages) is about sailing. I have very little knowledge about sailing. One of the main characters is a fugitive (embezzler)who is an expert on sailing.

My questions are: What is the largest sailboat he could sail alone.

A: If experienced than say 48 footer.

What kind and make would he purchase. Assume he has unlimited funds to purchase boat.

A: Hundereds of makers. Where does he live? That could help limit choices.

What extras would he want (electronics & navigation aids, etc).

A: If he had the resources he'd have Chartplotter, Radar, Navtex, Weatherfax.

Which coast, would would provide the ideal ocean, to sail on year round.

A: Pretty subjective as seasons change and usually so do 'ideal' cruising areas. Also, some people love sailing in fresher conditions, and would not see the normally warm and balmy Pacific as ideal, and vica versa. Practically - almost any Ocean with wind could be 'ideal' dependent on what you want from your sailing.

Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Hope this helps

JOHN
Old 01-19-2007, 09:36 PM   #5
Admiral

"Which.... ocean, to sail year round". As John says, almost any ocean. However, if the man were on the East Coast of the US, for example, his boat would not be in the water from October to May in the northern states: Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut, NJ, NY, and perhaps a bit further south. True year-round sailing is in the warmer states, particularly Georgia and Florida. Winter storms keep people off the water even as far south as Florida. West coast, a bit similar.

Google "boats for sale" for some of the more expensive, thus "better" boats. Such as Hallberg-Rassey, Swan. For a less common boat, though many might disagree, Henri Wauquiez. these are boats that other sailors notice.

Is the size of the boat essential to the plot? Though 48 feet and even above is sailable by a single-hander, Christopher Reeve was an avid sailor who could buy any sailboat he wanted, and had a 39-footer. Smaller is more fun if you're sailing alone, and not living on it, just taking it out whenever the whim hits. Lowell North, another person who could afford just about any boat he wanted, was an Olympic medal-winner in small boats, circumnavigated on a Tayana 42 (or 44).

Since of course we don't know anything about the plot, any information we provide to a non-sailor is bound to be flawed.

Will you tell us when it's published?

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

If Aye were a sailing, imbezzling crook and wanted to continue getting away with it, while not getting caught...

I would get myself something like a Westsail 32, as no one would take notice of such a moderate boat. I'd poke around the Caribbean living at anchor, blending in with the other low key rummies... while still being able to sneak into Florida once in a while. I'd like to have GPS / chartplotter, tiller pilot, watermaker, refrigeration, solar panels... and a Single Side Band radio to communicate over great distances with my cronies ashore.

A "Wet Snail" 32 could assure our bad guy could get a safe & solo getaway to Borneo with bags of cash... if need be.

There are still pirates in the Caribbean... and canibals in Borneo, ya know.

Kirk
Old 01-29-2007, 12:43 PM   #7
Ensign

I agree with Galivanter, an inconspicous vessel would be required by our villian. An expensive boat or to big a boat would raise questions, who is that guy/why is he on such big boat by himself? ect.

Personally I think our expert sailor may be frustrated by a Wetsnail and probally go for a 35 to 40 foot Bob Perry boat Baba, Valiant, Tayana ect. Sailing all year round would not be a problem anywhere along the equator, but some areas have a lot more scutiny of boats in islolated areas. In the Torres Stait you can expect to be hailed by the Austalian Coastwatch in even the most isolated locations. Gallivanters equipment list is spot on!
Old 01-29-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

The problem, from a writer's perspective, of travelling in an inconspicuous boat, is an opportunity for rapid development of sub plots is hobbled.

Let the villain steal a flashy craft (he is already established as a thief) that stands out in the marina. If he is noticable, he is interesting. This is why writers always make spies handsome, and their women look like supermodels.

Mundane is, sadly, mundane; and while that may be nearer to reality, it won't sell copy.

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:26 PM   #9
Lieutenant

I recommend you to do a bit of sailing and read a few sailing logs on the net. I believe that this would give you a better background.

www.sailblogs.com

www.vilisar.com

www.svquest.com

www.svfelicity.com

www.lazyduck.com

www.floatplan.com

Best of luck on your book!

so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and

impatient when least effective."

-Henry David Thoreau
Yachtmaster81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 01:10 AM   #10
Ensign

If you look at what Ellen MacArthur can sail, then an open 60, a giant cat or trimaran would be good for impressive turns of escape speed.

http://www.teamellen.com/en/ellen.asp

If he has unlimited funds, he would have one made, complete with 007 facilities.

Since he's a tough guy, the Southern Ocean should be home, Australia and New Zealand.

Tags
arc