Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-26-2016, 11:35 AM   #21
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

I'm ready to re-do the decks on the 50'er here in the Bahamas. They are a mess! It appears there has been little real attempt to keep them nice and, during a search of CL's many topics, I came upon this thread.

It's still a mesmerising topic. It seems teak coatings and their application is tinted with opinion. I'm not sure what to do given the hideous cost of coatings here in the Bahamas and the 50% duty which can be levied by enthusiastic customs officials at the airport, for coatings and other bits brought in from the US.

Has anyone got any guff on old fashioned ways...such as painting the decks with boiled linseed oil?

I know this is an oxymoron, but I (like every other yottie on the planet) am looking for cheap but good. You know the stuff: a coating which sells for $2 a gallon which only needs to be applied once in every 50 years..............

Seriously though, has anyone a good product to promote for keeping teak looking beautiful after a good clean?

I miss the wisdom of Kirk on Gallivanters. Anyone know where he is?

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:07 PM   #22
Lieutenant

Home Port: Zarcero

Varnish or Sail?

Apply soap and water as need to bare wood and go sailing. The brightest boats are in their slips with their owners working hard to keep them pretty.

Old 01-26-2016, 01:11 PM   #23
Lieutenant

Home Port: Zarcero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
I'm ready to re-do the decks on the 50'er here in the Bahamas. They are a mess! It appears there has been little real attempt to keep them nice and, during a search of CL's many topics, I came upon this thread.

It's still a mesmerising topic. It seems teak coatings and their application is tinted with opinion. I'm not sure what to do given the hideous cost of coatings here in the Bahamas and the 50% duty which can be levied by enthusiastic customs officials at the airport, for coatings and other bits brought in from the US.

Has anyone got any guff on old fashioned ways...such as painting the decks with boiled linseed oil?

I know this is an oxymoron, but I (like every other yottie on the planet) am looking for cheap but good. You know the stuff: a coating which sells for $2 a gallon which only needs to be applied once in every 50 years..............

Seriously though, has anyone a good product to promote for keeping teak looking beautiful after a good clean?

I miss the wisdom of Kirk on Gallivanters. Anyone know where he is?
Muric acid removes all of the dirt and leaves a nice clean appearance. It's dirt cheap or at least used to be when I owned a boat. Add it to a normal wash down. It doesn't get any easier.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:47 AM   #24
Lieutenant

Home Port: Portsmouth
Vessel Name: No Worries

Going back to the COLEAN, this is something I have used and wouldn't use anything else now!
It is very expensive (UK) and not easy to apply. Also slowly goes off once you open the tin but using a heat gun before putting the lid on helps a bit.
It has lasted for years (outside) and is just starting to let a bit of water in after about 5 - 6 years.
High gloss finish which I like and very flexible. It is a bit like plastic coating your wood but is still breathable and flexible.
The extra effort is worth it for the results and not having re-do it every year
Old 01-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #25

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

In terms of leaving the wood bare--it's fine if you're not going to own the boat for many years. Otherwise, cleaning and sealing with a good varnish or modern coating makes more sense for the longevity of the wood (caprails, combings and whatnot). Decks themselves--yeah, bare wood or painted with an antiskid seems the best.

I have no expertise on keeping wood varnished other than on our own boat. I don't find it any more work than other routine maintenance chores. And we manage to sail as well as varnish. I do think that people who aren't too keen on sailing find "excuses" not to sail. Those excuses can be a range of activities that appear to be standing in the way--but really one can sail many miles each year and travel broadly worldwide whilst keeping up the proper varnishwork aboard.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote