Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-21-2006, 10:14 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Broken Leg - Smashed up Toe

I am sitting here crying because now i can't go on my south pacific voyage in February. Thursday morning while driving to the market i was so unpolitely (T-boned) hit on the drivers side in my car by a drunk driver.

My left knee was smashed up against the dsah board and crushed and 2 toes broken. Also some glass in my head from the side window breaking from the impact. I just got released this morning from the hospital. Surgery on my knee and bruised from head to toe.

Now i'am going to have to email my friend peter and tell him i can't go. I'm sure he is going to be as disapointed as i am, and most likely very pissed off.

I keep asking myself.... WHY MW....WHY ME.....what in gods name did i do to deserve this. I was sooooo looking forward to this trip.

I think i'll go take another pain pill and back to bed.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:54 AM   #2
Ensign

Rachael - For whatever it's worth, my family has a small history of similar events.

Some years ago when my brother-in-law was about 3 months from leaving on what would become a circumnavigation, he helped another boater into the dock, and broke his big toe! Trip postponed a full year!

Just recently, my brother was a few months from leaving for Mexico (we're in San Diego) and hit a channel bouy while trying to avoid a port tacker who was not looking! About a 4 month delay, not to mention many $$$$ in addition to the insurance.

I know these stories won't make you feel any better...But I hope you get well soon and live your dream.

Cheers,

Bill

San Diego

Old 01-22-2006, 12:48 PM   #3
Ensign

This is why they made the bumper sticker - "**** Happens"

I guess i blame Murphy's Law and Jack Daniels.... Since the jerk that hit me was a drunk driver.

You know it just came to realization today that not only did i miss a trip of a life time but my precious 1998 Lincoln Mark Vlll is totalled.

I loved that car, even tho she had 73k on her.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:17 AM   #4
Commander

Rachel, I'm really disappointed on your behalf - you did indeed sound excited once the logistics were somewhat resolved. If you're looking for compensating things to be thankful for, be glad you were driving a big Lincoln when you were T-boned; at least you had some decent physics working in your direction.

Best wishes on a speedy recovery...and might Peter be able to take you aboard in Papaette? The Bastille Day celebration there is wonderful, with dancing competitions involving islanders from all over the South Pacific. He'll probably be working hard to arrive there before 7/14...and that's an airport not too tough to reach from N America. Any chance for a delayed arrival in paradise?

Jack