Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-03-2008, 01:56 AM   #1
Lieutenant

Home Port: No such thing
Vessel Name: Charisma

There was a discussion on anchors some months ago, all interesting as some might recall. I am looking for a 42 Kg Buegel anchor but in Singapore, surprisingly, no one seems to sell any. A google search yielded a lot of hits but nothing leading to the manufacturer or dealer in this part of the world. One shipchandler in Singapore proposed to make a copy but I think it is a bad idea as wrong angle and proportion will cause the anchor to fail, most likely when needed the most.

Would anyone have any contact for the manufacturer in Germany or dealer in Asia.

Thanks,

Old 01-03-2008, 02:38 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis View Post
There was a discussion on anchors some months ago, all interesting as some might recall. I am looking for a 42 Kg Buegel anchor but in Singapore, surprisingly, no one seems to sell any.

Would anyone have any contact for the manufacturer in Germany or dealer in Asia.

Thanks,
Hi Francis,

I have a feeling that the "Buegel" design was adapted from the New Zealand Rocna

Check this URL :- http://www.rocna.com/boat-anchors/ne...at-anchors.php

My data base has a picture of both :-

The Buegel looks more simple, in that the flukes appear as part of a flat plate.

Here is a German outfit that has a 42 Kg costing 500 ?s

http://www.avcmarine.de/index.php?r_id=395...9cfeb10ce8c70f5

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wheras the Rocna's are shaped.

-------------------------------------------------

The Buegel :-

Click image for larger version

Name:	Buegal_anchor.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	311

-------------------------------------------------

Click image for larger version

Name:	rocna_gv115c_steve_dashew.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	312

-------------------------------------------------------

Maybe cheaper to get from NZ to Langkawi or Penang - NZ ships frequently to S.E. Asia.

Also can get one through the Maxwell Winch distributer in Phuket - Thailand

Richard

Old 01-03-2008, 06:49 AM   #3
Commander

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Gone Troppo

HI All,

How big is your boat Francis? I have an 11m catamaran and use a 16kg Buegel. Rolf, the designer, says I should have a 20kg one, but in 6 years use I have found I don't need to go that large. Anyway good luck in finding one.

By the way I think the Buegel came before the Rocna.

Regards,

Stephen

Stephen

Crowther Windspeed 36

www.gonetroppo.org
GoneTroppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
Admiral

Hi Stephen , thanks for the info. By any chance do you have the Buegel' s contact address.

------------------------------------>

Francis, I have located a supplier in Hong Kong for the Rocna - If you are interested I will email the contact details.

Richard
Old 01-03-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
Ensign

Red face

Quote:
There was a discussion on anchors some months ago, all interesting as some might recall. I am looking for a 42 Kg Buegel anchor but in Singapore, surprisingly, no one seems to sell any. A google search yielded a lot of hits but nothing leading to the manufacturer or dealer in this part of the world. One shipchandler in Singapore proposed to make a copy but I think it is a bad idea as wrong angle and proportion will cause the anchor to fail, most likely when needed the most.

There is no such thing as "Buegel", and not much that qualifies as a 'genuine' Buegelanker, although WASI in Germany make the closest thing - although only in stainless.

Your idea to avoid copies is a good one. There are many cheap and nasty Buegel knock-offs around - the design is not particularly sophisticated, and it is easy to put together something that looks right with basic machinery.

Send us an e-mail if you'd like to work out the best way of getting an anchor from New Zealand.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Home Port: No such thing
Vessel Name: Charisma

Richard,

Indeed the Buegel (though Craig has a different way to call it) indeed came out a few years ago. I have met perhaps 2 dozen owners and they were all happy with it and wouldn't have anything else.

Stephen,

I have a Vagabond 47 displacing about 23 tons with a fair bit of windage. I believe I actually need a 42 KG Buegel, Spade also recomend 40 KG. My 20 KG CQR miserably dragged too many times so no more of that. I switched to my 20KG Bruce and so far it worked fine but did not get a chance to test her in more than 30 knots so too early to draw any conclusion. I am also planning to change my chain from 3/8" to 1/2". I singlehandling so I'd like to have some peace of mind when going ashore.

Craig,

I'll get in touch with you, I knew the surest way to get your attention was to post an "anchor" topic.....

Cheers,
Old 01-05-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
Ensign

Red face

Quote:
Richard,

Indeed the Buegel (though Craig has a different way to call it) indeed came out a few years ago. I have met perhaps 2 dozen owners and they were all happy with it and wouldn't have anything else.
Buegel just means 'handle' or 'roll-bar' in German, "Buegelanker" should be obvious. WASI is a German steel firm which builds the 316 stainless versions. The original design is old, from the 80s, and was never properly commercialized - to the detriment of boaters worldwide (with not even the Delta available until ~1990). In fact the original German patent has even expired now.

It's a good anchor, far better than old generation types, but rather simple with its flat fluke and straight shank. Much room for improvement. The Rocna aside, I would prefer a Spade in all except perhaps weed.

Quote:
Stephen,

I have a Vagabond 47 displacing about 23 tons with a fair bit of windage. I believe I actually need a 42 KG Buegel, Spade also recomend 40 KG. My 20 KG CQR miserably dragged too many times so no more of that. I switched to my 20KG Bruce and so far it worked fine but did not get a chance to test her in more than 30 knots so too early to draw any conclusion.
A 20Kg CQR is far too small by anyone's thinking. Unfortunately different anchor manufacturers follow different sizing logic, and some none whatsoever ... following guides can be problematic, because manufacturers are incentivized to make their anchor seem both better and cheaper, so recommend smaller than ideal. It's not uncommon to see "rated for 20 knots wind" in the fine print. (For our part we have a long distance cruising background and insist on being conservative; our own guide takes into account real world testing figures and considers 50 knots wind, associated exposed surge, and only poor holding).

One thing to look closely at is the associated gear on the boat, especially the windlass - if this equipment was matched to a 20Kg CQR, you might be upgrading more than just the anchor.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:28 AM   #8
Ensign

Red face

Quote:
I am also planning to change my chain from 3/8" to 1/2". I singlehandling so I'd like to have some peace of mind when going ashore.
I don't think that's necessary. We only advise 1/2" (if G40/hi-test) to be matched with the Rocna 55, which is a big anchor! You're talking about a lot of unnecessary weight.

If you want to change the chain, look at installing high tensile of the right strength - and save weight!

If you're confused why, read this:

Chain Rope & Catenary - Anchor Systems For Small Boats

Quote:
Craig,

I'll get in touch with you, I knew the surest way to get your attention was to post an "anchor" topic.....

I would have replied earlier but had some problems with my account here...
Old 01-05-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
Admiral

Craig , please give us your opinion on the 42 kg galvanized anchor described in this German company's product line.

http://www.avcmarine.de/index.php?r_...cfeb10ce8c70f5
Old 01-07-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
Ensign

The link doesn't work, but you mean their Buegels? They look okay but I don't know who's making them, it isn't WASI...

For general comments on the design, see above and below, and also take a look at independent testing if you like.

For example, West Marine and SAIL's 2006 testing includes a 'genuine' WASI, as good as you'll get:

Here's a copy-and-paste of our standard answer when asked re the Rocna vs Buegel. Forgive the self-promoting aspect of this if you will.

The Bügel design is very simple to build and happens to work very well in weed, which has made it popular in the Mediterranean. These two factors mean that cheap knock-offs are readily available in most countries, especially those in the Med such as Italy, Greece, and Turkey. The design was patented but it seems the intellectual property was never defended, and has since expired in any case, and these knock-offs are just collectively referred to as "Bügels".

When you look at the Rocna next to a Bügel, you will see that the Rocna is a far more sophisticated design. Get a sheet of steel, cut out a triangle, attached a half-pipe to the rear, weld on a straight bar for a shank, and you have yourself one Bügel. It is very primitive and the roll-bar is really the only similarity with Peter's Rocna design. The straight bar shank of the Bügel creates problems when stowing on a boat’s bow (it is hard to pull home properly). The Rocna has the concave fluke, it has tip-weight (the toe is thicker than the heel), it has the skids, and the shank is a much more practical design.

A properly built Bügel (many are not done right and don't work as well as they should) will work well in weed, at least better than plows and claws. They also offer a bit more fluke area than the older types of anchors, meaning they generally are superior.

The WASI version is available only in 316 stainless. This is a bit of an issue and we advise people to find a galvanized alternative. 316 is not particularly strong – we offer the Rocna in stainless too, but use an Australian high grade steel called SAF 2205 which has roughly 3 times the tensile strength (and even that is less than our regular galvanized models). There are lots of stainless anchor manufacturers who use 316 because it is far cheaper – but we don’t feel it's good enough.

Tags
anchor