Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-21-2014, 01:00 AM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: London
Vessel Name: TBC
Default calculating quantities of caulking

I'm trying to work out how many sausages of TDS SIS440 to order - can any one out there give me an estimate of how many m2 one sausage of the stuff will do. I'm looking at the 20oz sausages.

I think my boards are 2 inches wide.

Alternatively how many lineal metres of caulking one sausage will do? I can probably work it out from there.

thanks

Old 06-21-2014, 01:27 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

That's a tough question. It depends on the depth and width of the furrow which needs to be filled, and the amount left above the joins to provide a smooth unblemished joint after sanding. I think I would probably take a guess at the total amount required, halve it, then get stuck into the job and see how far I got. Are you caulking a deck or hull? Sorry I can't be more of a help. I wonder if companies such as 3M and Sika have a formula which may be of use. Please let us know how you get on.
Best wishes.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:07 AM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: London
Vessel Name: TBC

I'm caulking a deck. we're routering out the grove to make it about 6mm deep and its probably about the same width.

the problem is that the boat is in Vanuatu, so I need to ship the materials to it, which is slow and expensive so I want to get close to the right quantity.
Someone told me that I would get 5 lineal metres per 600ml sausage. But if it is 6mm x 6mm x 5m long that would only be 180ml.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:10 AM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

If you have the depth and width of each seam, along with linear feet, that will give you a volume. The manufacturer or their rep could help you figure it from there. Often on a tube of caulking it will state how many linear feet of a certain size bead (example 3/8" bead) it will do--I've always assumed a square bead and multiplied from that. I do tend to purchase too much caulking material. In the USA, a San Diego company called Sunshine Supply LINK www.sunshinesupply.com/ was where I purchased my stuff and they were helpful with quantities as well.

Good luck.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:09 AM   #5
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

If I had to be recaulking my deck, I can think of no better place than to do it than where you are. There is a guide to estimating the required amount of caulking at the bottom of the page in the following article.
Boatlife Caulking Teak Deck Seams
It is a different product, but I'm guessing the quantities will be similar.
Hope it helps.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote