Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-24-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
Ensign

Hello there,

On my never ending quest for the (almost)perfect boat for a one-man-crew sailing boat, i came across the "CC"´s (Like the Beneteau 36cc). The question is: What´s the real advantage -if any- of this kind of vessel?

Thanking you in advance,

Messias.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:48 PM   #2
Admiral

Hello Messias,

Could you tell us what a "CC" is? Do you mean C & C sailboat ? or CC meaning Centre Cockpit?

Old 06-24-2009, 11:10 PM   #3
Ensign

Hi there,

I mean "Center Cockpit"

Are there any advantages (besides the view) of this boats, over others?

Thanks,

Messias.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:54 AM   #4
Admiral

I guess Cruisers who have Aft Cockpit sailboats will say "there is no advantage"

However, it could also be said that Centre Cockpit designs often provide a decent sized Aft Cabin, which allows privacy from the Saloon, forward of the cockpit. Another advantage is that the cockpit is closer to the Mast, allowing faster adjustments to sails and other mast fixed equipment. Also being further forward allows better vision when moving the boat in tight quarters, eg.. marinas & anchorages.

Again, there are many other design, construction and material features to be taken into account when determining which sailboat has more advantages than that of another - besides the location of the cockpit.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
Ensign

We have ad our Center cockpit ketch ( a Whitby 42) about 14 years. Over that time, we have had a chance to be on many differnet boats, aft & CC configurations. I agree with the advantages mentioned above, and it is nice to be a bit closer to the pointy end of the boat when docking, although, when backing in to a space, I would prefer to have an aft cockpit boat. The thing to look out for, in my opinion, is that that on many CC designs, the cockpit appears to be set on top of the cabin house, in order to maximize space below. Many times this results in a very shallow, uncomfortable cockpit seating arrangement. There are many CC designs that I would not want to spend a significant amount of time aboard in the cockpit. Another disadvantage is that your viewing angles for sail trim can be blocked. I little creative leaning usualy can solve this.

We like the aft cabin & it is great when we have guests, as they can have the v-berth & some privacy.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:20 PM   #6
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

I very seriously considered a CC when I was boat hunting... sometimes I still think, "man if I just had a center cockpit it would be easy to get on here."... especially where the finger is short and I need to positively stop the boat short with the stern sticking out... the primary advantage as I see it being access to the center cleat on the boat... which is my favorite short handed mooring cleat... you get alongsides, lasoe the cleat you want, pull in hard, tie off at center and your on, done, no radical forward or after movement or ability to swing off like a single for or after lasoe (I can't do a stern lasoe off both cleats then drive forward on it because my davits stick 5ft off the stern)...

the downside is that the cockpit is right where waves break on the boat... so they can be very wet on a beat or in bad weather... since I like offshore passaging this was a pretty big factor... and to be honest I just couldn't find a CC that was built heavily enough for ocean crossing, most are light'ish daysailers... have people taken them offshore/around the world... yup... do I want to... nope..

good luck in your hunt.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
Admiral

Lonestar,

Thanks for the input on a advantage of a centre cockpit -- also the disadvantage.

The Whitby 42 is such a nice boat!

I had missed one major disadvantage in some CC designs, that is when entering the saloon from the companionway, one is already halfway down the boat, with half the saloon area taken up by a galley on one side and a navigation station on the other.

Whereas in an Aft cockpit the saloon area gives the impression of having much more space.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:22 AM   #8
Admiral

"the downside is that the cockpit is right where waves break on the boat... so they can be very wet on a beat or in bad weather... since I like offshore passaging this was a pretty big factor... and to be honest I just couldn't find a CC that was built heavily enough for ocean crossing, most are light'ish daysailers... have people taken them offshore/around the world?"

I guess you could be right about getting wet in the centre cockpit of a small boat - that must be just one of the reasons to have a spray dodger. Not sure what is meant by 'the cockpit is right where waves break on the boat', when in fact waves can break anywhere topsides. Once a centre cockpit design is over say 4Oft LOA with a dodger, then spray is less of a problem.

As for CC boats not being built heavily enough -

Here is a sample of Centre Cockpit sailing boats that are well found in terms of structure, strength and design - all proven offshore boats - the list stops at the letter H (thousands have traversed the oceans) apologise to the owners of makes that have been left out:-

Abeking And Rasmussen

Adams

Amel

Bavaria

Beneteau

Bluewater / Vagabond

Bowman

Brewer

Bristol

Bruce Roberts

Camper & Nicholsons

Catalina

Celestial

Cheoy Lee

Chris-craft

Columbia

Colvic

Contest

Coronado

Csy

De Vries

Dickerson

Dufour

Durbeck

Endeavour

Farr

Formosa

Fountaine Pajot

Freedom Yachts

Frers

Gibsea

Grand Soleil

Gulfstar

Hallberg-rassy

Hans Christian

plus ...................................>
Old 08-03-2009, 12:28 AM   #9
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

got me... I have, and was looking at boats in the 36 to 40 ft range... so I did indeed grossly over generalize... and assumed since he mentioned single handing (or perhaps he meant one additional crew sailing) that he was also looking at smaller'ish boats as well.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote