Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
skypper

Home Port: knowlton
Vessel Name: fixtout
Exclamation confuse

there is so many kind of sailboat on the market that i am confused about witch one i should be looking as to cruise in the carabbean .
i am looking for a 30 to 40 ft. used . now i am sailing in land with my 21 ft cygnus and next year i want to live on board of a bigger one. me and my wife want to experience going living on a sailboat in the carabbean. tanks

Old 02-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

You can look through the discussions here on various cruising boats. However, one can cruise on almost any boat if one must! I would suggest that you make a list of things you like about the boats you're seeing (at boatshows, private listings, magazines, etc) and then go to a yacht broker near you (where are you?) and ask for some assistance. You'll come back here--for sure--with more specific questions, but getting together with a broker is always a helpful thing to learn about the features of different boats.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
skypper

Home Port: knowlton
Vessel Name: fixtout

I am living near montreal, quebec canada. Thank you for your advise i am so happy about it. Do i have to post every time i would like to contact you? I would be happy to have a friend on this community.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
Admiral

The best part of this forum is that when you post a question to the forum, anybody can answer it. Owning a yacht is a very personal experience, more than owning a house or living in an apartment, so the more ideas and opinions the better, in my opinion.

But redbopeep makes a good point about reviewing much of what has already been posted on this board - then you can ask questions about answers already given - saves time. Looking at boats for sale in your area is a good idea, too.

And, since you are bilingual, you might want to take a vacation to the island of Sint Maarten/St. Martin, which has always had lots of liveaboard cruisers from everywere. Lots of French cruisers on some very interesting boats (when we lived in St. Martin we were amazed at the number of very economical boats that the young French bought/built to go cruising - happily.) Winter season down there, lots and lots of boats, many for sale.

In fact, thinking about it, buying a boat already in the Caribbean would be great, save you that tiring slog to weather to get there.

Fair winds,
Jeanne

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote