Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-05-2020, 03:51 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie
Default Covid 19

The initial thought that cruising sailors are somewhat immune from Covid 19 due to the isolation which is a hallmark of the cruising lifestyle gave me some comfort.

As an Aussie in the US, where the response to the virus has been spotty at best, I realise that, in fact, we are faced with concerns which are not easy to overcome. Travelling around the coast has its problems, and while life on the hook may be an exercise in isolation, the reality for most people is time in marinas.

Marinas mean close quarters living where just getting to and from the boat across narrow walkways can compromise social distancing. Then there is the need to share laundry, shower and toilet facilities.

Sailing internationally has even more problems. Cruising boats make passages according to the weather. Determining passages dependent on mostly predictable weather patterns requires that we know which borders are open, and what the conditions in destination countries are, before we get there. And, as we see here in the US, local requirements and regulations can change on a daily basis, dependent upon the numbers of confirmed cases.

Added to this is the need to remain aware of how family and friends are faring and the developing tardiness of suppliers who are being handicapped by staff shortages, extra expenses of maintaining a safe workplace, and shipping delays due to the meteoric rise in online shopping.

I am currently isolated by a lake in East Tennessee, and for that I am thankful. I do wonder however just how my cruising friends are coping with all the restrictions on the gypsy lifestyles which, it seems, are becoming increasingly regulated by the necessities of trying to keep all people safe.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #2
Ensign

Home Port: Athens

It has been a hard time to be completely lone. All the bars had been closed around me and being stuck in an island where I don't know anyone and cant meet anyone made it harder.... Overall I am looking forward when all that will come to an end and we can live again without COVID.

Old 08-30-2020, 04:06 PM   #3
GOF

Home Port: Mandurah
Vessel Name: Eleuthera

The beauty of Western Australia Auzzee. Christmas Island, abrolhos Islands and rowly shoals are all classed as being in state. No restrictions on travel other than permit.
Sorta semi retired in May. Finished The job I had and started doing other things.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfo View Post
It has been a hard time to be completely lone. All the bars had been closed around me and being stuck in an island where I don't know anyone and cant meet anyone made it harder.... Overall I am looking forward when all that will come to an end and we can live again without COVID.
Same here Covid has changed my plans for 2020 and 2021 greatly! Unfortunately I haven't got a clue when all this story is over. I am fed up with lockdowns
Old 02-14-2021, 05:44 PM   #5
Admiral

Fortunately, I can now see some light in the distance. Yesterday, I managed to get my first shot of the Pfizer vaccine. Round two comes on March 6th. I am extremely hopeful that international travel, at least to Australia, will be possible before Christmas. Jack, Squizzy and Alto, I sincerely hope you all manage to stay safe, get vaccinated and rejoin the cruising lifestyle without restriction, in the very near future.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:47 PM   #6
GOF

Home Port: Mandurah
Vessel Name: Eleuthera

Thanks Auzzee. We are a bit lucky here in Western Australia, our premier recognized the importance of what was happening and against all the other states carrying on about it brought in a hard border 14 day quarantine period from the start.
This has led to a relatively isolated paradise amongst a sea of anguish around the world, as a reult we have had one community lock down of 5 days due to a security guard gettin covid. other than that one incident life has been fairly normal with little or no restrictions.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:40 PM   #7
Admiral

It's a national passtime to criticise the government. It's not until you move to another country that you realise just how well Australia is governed. America's response to the virus was a disgrace and, like so many others here, I live in a constant state of mild anxiety as so many people continue to believe the coronavirus is a hoax and refuse to take basic, logical precautions. I know we'll get through it, but with almost half a million lives lost over here (about 1 in every 700 Americans have died from the disease), one cannot drop pone's guard. I'm glad to hear you are well, and hope that circumstance persists.

Old 05-16-2021, 04:21 PM   #8
Ensign

Home Port: Kuala Lumpur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
...I live in a constant state of mild anxiety as so many people continue to believe the coronavirus is a hoax and refuse to take basic, logical precautions...
I’m currently in Ivory Coast, West Africa. The government here has brought in large supplies of Astro Zeneca, but it’s an uphill battle to get people to trust in the vaccines.
I hope to get my 1st shot this week, which hopefully will encourage some of those who work with me (as long as the old bastard doesn’t keel over...).
A friend of mine, back in Kuala Lumpur where I live, is currently in ICU on a ventilator - It isn’t a hoax.
Each Country has to do what it can, and there are sacrifices that go with trying to prevent health services being overwhelmed. Whilst we are all concerned about the inconveniences of quarantine etc (My current trip incurs 3x 2week quarantines), real concern is with all of those families who have lost their incomes, or have lost family members.
Stay safe out there.
Old 05-16-2021, 06:50 PM   #9
Admiral

Thanks for your input. Thankfully the new government here has taken the issue more seriously and both death and infection rates are dropping. The US is just short of logging 600,000 deaths from Covid 19, yet there is still a high degree of vaccine hesitancy. However, the CDC just this week dropped the requirement for mask wearing in many situations and there is a feeling that normalcy is just around the corner.

I had no adverse reaction to the Pfizer shots, my wife did feel extremely lethargic following the second of her Moderna shots. We hope public awareness shifts for those who distrust the vaccine so that community immunity is attainable in the short term.

Stay safe, say hello to KL for me and keep us posted.

Old 05-16-2021, 07:02 PM   #10
Ensign

Home Port: Kuala Lumpur

Thanks, Auzzee. Normalcy will be welcomed by all.
I should be back in K L (and another quarantine) in a few more weeks - I’ll say “Hello” for you.
Old 10-21-2021, 05:52 PM   #11
Ensign

Home Port: Ventura
Vessel Name: Keeper of the Stars

Hi Auzzee!

Where are you nowadays? Still in Tennessee area? How are you and your wife faring with the new variant kicking things back up again with Covid? I spent 17 days in the hospital in August of this year. Not a fun time!
Old 10-26-2021, 01:43 AM   #12
Admiral

We've been in Tennessee, but the lake, and have been up to the Pacific Northwest to charter in the San Juans again. Fortunately, we have managed to remain safe from Covid. We are both double vaccinated; I have had the Pfizer booster and my wife is having hers soon.

I'm sorry to hear you spent time in hospital...was that from Covid? Anyway, it's good you are out of it. I hope there are no lingering after effects

Cheers.

Old 11-29-2021, 07:54 AM   #13
Ensign

Home Port: Ventura
Vessel Name: Keeper of the Stars

Yes, it was Covid - Delta Variant that put me in the hospital. Got out on the 25th of August but on oxygen. Finally off of that for the most part and starting to regain some strength and stamina, but my hair is falling out! It’s apparently one of the possible side effects of Covid. My once long dark hair is about 50% thinned out with no apparent signs of a slowing down of the loss. This could continue for another 7 to 9 months, but should then start to come back! Fingers crossed that it does!! Balding is not a good look on a woman!

Where are you folks now? Still in Tennessee? If you make it out to Southern California let me know and we can go sailing off the coast near Ventura! Maybe even out to the Channel Islands!
I have a 42’ Catalina docked in Ventura Harbor.

Peace, Health and Blessings,
Keeper