Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-26-2005, 08:43 PM   #1
imported_admin

Default Cruising and sailing book suggestions.

Cruiser Log's "Suggested Books" page at http://www.cruiser.co.za/books.asp has recently been updated. To make this page as useful as possible, please suggest additional books on the topic that will be considered for inclusion on this page.

Any forum members written their own books?

Thank you all in advance for your contribution.

Admin
Old 11-27-2005, 07:49 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Two of my most favoured sailing books are 'Tropical Cruising Handbook' published by International Marine/McGraw-Hill and written by Mark Smaalders and Kim des Rochers; and and oldie-but-a-goodie the Finely Fitted Yacht by Ferenc Mate which is published by Albatross Publishing House. Tropical Cruising is a well written and very readable handbook with a great deal of practical application for those who want to cruise in the tropics. Finely Fitted Yacht is a boat improvement manual written with great humour and wit and would be most appreciated by those who love the look of traditional yachts. FFY was originally published in 1979 but has been reprinted many times and is just a damned good book that no yacht owner should be without

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
Ensign

How about a couple of "reading" book suggestions for those log hours at sea? Adventure? etc.

I've done the whole Wilbur Smith "thing" - but who else is fast, interesting and easy to read?

Paul
Old 12-12-2005, 12:38 PM   #4
Ensign

i liked "the water in between" by Kevin patterson. it is a modern true story.

i really enjoyed "a mile down" by david vann. another true story...it is a very exciting story...i never read a book as fast as this book...truly griping.

"blown away" by herb payson seems to be a bit of a "cruisers" classic...a fun, older book from the late 70's...i just read it for the first time last spring and thought it charmng and often funny...again, the stories are true.

"a voyage for madmen" by peter nichols...this is a relatively recent book about a classic 'sailing' event from 1968...the first solo non-stop circumnavigation...i read this almost as fast as "a mile down"...meaning...i thought it was a great book, i couldn't put it down.

the obvious ones:

"the long way" by bernard moitessier

"sailing alone around the world" by joshua slocum

"kon tiki" by thor heyerdahl

hope these help.

Duluth, MN

lostpearl.blogspot.com
max mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 09:48 AM   #5
Admiral

There is a thread of mysticism running through these:

Slocum's Sailing Alone Around the World. I wish I had met this man. One of my favorite sections is the goat.

"Beautiful Swimmers : Watermen, Crabs and the Chesapeake Bay" by William W. Warner - not sailing, but a beautiful book. Two islands in the Chesapeake, Smith and Tangier Islands, were settled in the 1600s, and the watermen on these islands still speak in the dialect and vernacular of 17th Century England. Fascinating places. This book is a lyrical celebration of the men and their lifestyle. If you ever have a chance to visit them, do go. Charming.

"The Totorore Voyage" by Gerry Clark This one blew my mind. A New Zealander decided he was going to the Antarctic to survey the bird life. He built his boat using native Kiwi timber, rounded up a series of crew members, and had some incredible experiences. Funny, sad at times, scary, and incredibly interesting how he coped with such difficult circumstances. I loved the book.

Crossing the Pacific, I reread Melville's "Moby Dick". A difficult book to read, the English is so stilted to this modern eye. But... Oh, my, the wonder.

And not about the sea at all, but so incredible - "West with the Night" by Beryl Markham - a commercial pilot in Africa in the early 20th Century. Read Moby Dick, and the description of the behavior of sperm whales due to whaling, and then Beryl's description of a herd of elephants' behavior to being hunted. Connections and empathy. Best read when alone in the middle of an ocean with no land to be seen, and dolphins visiting.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:21 PM   #6
Ensign

I really enjoyed "An Embarrasment of Mangoes" about a couples travel by sailboat from Canada down to Trinidad and back north again over 2 years.

She gives detailed accounts of storms they pass through, information on specific passages, natives they meet on the islands, and even recipes for the fruits and seafoods available on each island.

Defiantely a good read for anyone ready to set sail for the Caribbean.

Also, I've found Jimmy Buffett's books great for a light reading. Very adventurous.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:55 PM   #7
Ensign

Anything by Sam Llewellyn -- he is the Dick Francis of sailing -- thrillers/mysteries that all have to do with sailing, cruising, sailboat racing and the yachting industry.

Titles include Blood Orange, Death Roll, Clawhammer, and many more.

--Karl

SV Mabel Rose