Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-01-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
arippon

Default Cruising Antigua, St Kits and Montserrat

All - wondering if anyone can give me some advice. Is it a good idea to cross from Antigua or Barbuda to St Kits. My thoughts were to go from Barbuda down to Nevis then from St Kits back to Antigua so as to risk less wind on the nose on return. Will this work or is it a mare to get back? I will be in a 38ft cat. Thanks for any tips.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:21 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Home Port: Road Town
Vessel Name: Various
Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot

Considering that the distances between the Leeard islands are pretty small - it really doesnt make much odds either way: The Trade winds are an easterly airflow, more in the North in the winter and tending through East into the South east through the season. The route you suggest is perfectly reasonable. Just remember what the wise fella said: You cant lie on the beach all day drinking rum, unless you start in the morning! Tony

Old 03-02-2006, 02:25 AM   #3
Admiral

Nevis is only an hour or two away from St, Kitts, so it's a moot question. Nevis is nicer to check in to (or at least it used to be), so that's where I'd go first. You can swim from Ouali Beach, nevis, to St,. Kitts.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
arippon

Great Thanks all for the tips - this inspires me and the crew.

It also give us a motto to live by!

Any tips on Montserrat? Other than keep away from the volcano? Are there safe anchorages? Thanks
Old 03-07-2006, 08:54 PM   #5
Admiral

I just checked with Noonsite to see if they had anything more to report (http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Montserrat)

The only bay we liked to anchor in is now part of the Exclusion Zone. Northern open bays seem to be navigable, but the swell probably makes them most uncomfortable. I think you can sail past but give it a bye. Your deck and sails don't need volcanic ash and sparks.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote