Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

The time is fast approaching that I will need to get cruising insurance in place. I just contacted Jackline IMIS Insurance this morning...

Are there any other credible cruising insurance providers that anyone can recommend?

Old 03-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
The time is fast approaching that I will need to get cruising insurance in place. I just contacted Jackline IMIS Insurance this morning...

Are there any other credible cruising insurance providers that anyone can recommend?
I know a couple cruisers who have Lloyds. I think Zurich will write a blue water policy. Pantaenius offers blue water insurance for sure.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Gibraltar
Vessel Name: S/Y Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post

I can recommend yachtsure.com, a fully interactive yacht insurance website and 100% Lloyd's Syndicates Managed by Underwriting Risk Services Ltd.

After entering your data over a secure connection you will receive a full quotation within a few minutes. Be sure to provide all the information required as exactly as possible. If any questions remain unclear, they will get back to you. Their support by phone is excellent as well.

Link: https://www.yachtsure.com/main_frame.php?PH...b51dece4263b62e

I hope this has been helpful.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:59 AM   #4
Commander

First know where you will be using the vessel and how many people will be on the vessel. Then you can determine which insurance "broker" and policy will cover your needs. Normally single handers are not insurable and most times even two person crews are not insurable. Also the "covered cruising area" during Tropical Storm/hurricane season varies dramatically from one company to another.

- - IMIS and others are "brokers" who shop your insurance needs to the 3 or 4 insurance companies/consortiums to see if anybody will cover you and what the cost will be. IMIS is quite reputable and offers a "cruising couple (2 person crew) policy known as "Jackline."

- - Past experience has shown that some "insurers" will collect your premiums, but if you have a major loss they will not pay you for that loss. And/or state that you violated some obscure provision of the insurance contract and whelch out on paying you.

- - It is best to get recommendations from several different actual cruisers before picking a "broker" and insurance carrier.