Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
Ensign

Send a message via Yahoo to canuckiwis

Hi All.

6 months or so since my last post and my wife and I are still looking for a cruising yacht . Does anyone have experience with or know about the Van Der Stadt Agulhas 45 Centre Cockpit? We are looking at one now which needs some work (she's ~30 yo) but otherwise ticks a lot of boxes ..... Any info well appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

Old 10-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
Admiral

Welcome back,

45ft Centre Cockpit Van der Stadt design always a good start.

The aft Cabin gives privacy to the Skipper and Mate ! Always liked that design format ,

However, one does not spend one's life in the Aft Cabin. If one considers stepping down into the companion way into the forward saloon and galley - the smallness of that forward area will be apparent. This factor must be a major consideration, it can be resolved to a degree by adding a hard top bimini over the cockpit to add living space lost in the forward areas.

You don't say much about the boat :- do you have pictures? how well is it equipted ? Steel of FRP ? What engines ?? etc.... ?

Old 10-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

I've always heard good things about Van der Stadts in general but unfortunately can't comment on them personally...

I generally agree with MMNETSEA on the aft cabin bit... they are lovely, but bear consideration how much time you'll actualyl spend in there and more importantly, to me, how easily you can access the cockpit from there. Does it have it's own easily accessed hatch to the cockpit? I love aft cabins, the space, the motion (If i was buying again I'd probably get one).. but if you have to go down a hallway via the cockpit combing to get to the companion way I would mark this heavily against it since (to my mind) the ability to respond to a crew request for help, or even to just get up and out quickly in the middle of the night at anchor is critical...

just more food for thought... best of luck.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
...(snip)

You don't say much about the boat :- do you have pictures? how well is it equipted ? Steel of FRP ? What engines ?? etc.... ?
Her aft cabin is interesting with a split bunk configuration. I am sure we could alter that for a double bunk but I kinda like it as it is. The only access is via a hatch behind the cockpit. The saloon is smallish (not as small as some, but at 3.5m wide she is the narrowest we have looked at) and the galley really needs attention- its almost an afterthought which is a major drawback. She is a GRP Bermuda rig sloop, professionally laid up in late 70s and fitted out by first owner. She has a nice looking keel design but a spade rudder (have only been looking at skegged baots to this point). She has just completed a 10year stint of being lived on by current owners and is showing her age a little. She still has the original Perkins 4.154 (sounded surprisingly sweet when we fired her up; there was none (well, almost none) of that fine oily grit that seems to coat everything in the engine compartment of most boats with Perkins diesels we have seen) which had a full rebuild 3 years ago. She needs new sails, running rig, wiring, her cabin woodwork is a bit tired, etc etc. Her price probably fairly reflects her condition, so it is not as if the owner is after moonbeams for her...

..but now when I re-read all this she does not sound right for us...

Its funny my wife and I were adamant that we would not buy a boat as old as this or in need of so much TLC... but when we both got off her were both grinning like fools - completely in synch for almost the first time and we have seen a lot of boats in the last year.

I know you are supposed to look at these things 'first with the head, then with the heart' (to paraphrase Bryce Courtney) but this one is for some reason a tough call and we don't know why ... So this is why i am here, asking for opinions from cooler heads!

Cheers
Old 10-30-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
Ensign

...and now we go to survey! hull, electrics, engine, rigging.... just 2 days to go...
Old 10-30-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Hope all goes well for you.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Ensign

Hi !

We spent 6 months viewing boats and only 2 were right - both Rival 41 but we got gazumphed on the first one. If you both like the boat I think that is a huge start. But perhaps step back a bit ? Do a spreadsheet on what needs to be replaced (essential and desirable) so you can cost her properly. Sorry I don't know the boat but Van der Stadt are a great family (daugher had a Pandora 22 footer) and we would have loved to have one.

I think unusual layouts can be fine - if personal. The R41 has a small double just forward of the cockpit and we think it is great so it really depends what suits you.

On the subject of Perkins, we have a 4108 38hp model and it has been pretty good so far - don't know what the "grit" issue is but we don't have it. The other benefit is that it seems to be possible to get parts almost anywhere. We buy our filters in the local motor factor's place at a fraction of marine prices.

We bought our "beauty" and immediately had her re-rigged (18 yr old rigging etc) plus a raft of ther jobs - but there are benefits to having an older boat - quality, seriously solid lay-up (thick GRP AND stringers on ours) and you can change things if you want. Buy a new Bavaria and you won't want to change things.

If you are both "in love" then do your best to be objective ... and then go for it !

P
Old 11-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckiwis View Post
Hi All.

6 months or so since my last post and my wife and I are still looking for a cruising yacht . Does anyone have experience with or know about the Van Der Stadt Agulhas 45 Centre Cockpit? We are looking at one now which needs some work (she's ~30 yo) but otherwise ticks a lot of boxes ..... Any info well appreciated.

Cheers

Dan
I bought a Van de Stadt Agulhas 45 about 5 years ago and have done around 8000 miles in her. I wouldn't sell it for anything!! Built in 1978, she was cheap which allowed me enough spare money to replace the Genoa, Staysail and Mainsail, refit the Saloon and Galley, and re-wire. She is fantastic in any conditions - we ended up in a force 9 in the Bay of Biscay and although we were a little pensive, the boat took everything that was thrown at her. Our boat has crossed the Atlantic 4 times and we have sailed her from Croatia back to the UK with just myself and my wife on board.

Please contact me if you would like to know any more specifically about this boat - having lived aboard each year for 6 months at a time, i know the model well and what she can and can't do!!

regards

Jon
Old 09-11-2020, 06:52 AM   #9
Ensign

Home Port: Walvisbay

Good morning,
Came onto this post of a few years ago. What was the ending? Did she pass her test? Did you buy?

I found her in the market again and was just wondering.
Old 11-22-2022, 01:59 AM   #10
Ensign

Home Port: Toronto

I made the mistake of taking the you tube tour of the Amel 50. My brain has melted in the a useless puddle. I survived an Oyster video with less damage
A boat which comes to mind for an amazing aft cabin are the various models of the Deck Salon Jeanneau. The 50 and the 42 were my picks when my brain functioned. The raised cockpit DS on the same hull as the Sun Odyssey.
The engine room on the Amel is in the cockpit floor. It has a ladder all the systems laid out filters insulation gauges tears welling in eyes perfection TAM 80 !
Old 11-25-2022, 10:53 PM   #11
Commander

Home Port: Royston

Amel is one of few stock boats with proper, solid top lifelines.
Avoid boats with super wide sterns and super narrow bows. They often have zero directional stability. Test sail any boat on a broad reach in strong winds and lumpy seas, to see how much of a fight it is to keep her on course. Should be easy.How long can you leave the helm for?