Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-06-2007, 07:09 PM   #1
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Ecuador is now also cracking the whip on cruising yachts - new regulations enforced.

"The yacht must provide a Sail Plan with details of waypoints on your intended route to the next port or out of territorial waters, along with predicted date and time of arrival. The authorities must be informed if you deviate more than 25 miles from your intended route or change your port of destination."

DETAILS

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 10:21 PM   #2
Lieutenant

Home Port: Cape Town

Greetings from Academy Bay, Santa Cruz Island, Galapagos (Ecuador),

I read your report with great droplets of tropical perspiration on my brow when in Trinidad and found a Spanish speaking yachtie to download the Ecuadorian law on this for me – it is available in English! Firstly, it only applies to vessels over 500 GT and not to recreational yachts. Even though, I sailed for the Galapagos Islands not knowing what would happen with the authorities on arrival.

My report: Puerto Ayora Port Captain: Hello, welcome to the Galapagos Islands

Me: Hola – is there a problem with me arriving with no permit or visas?

PC: Hola – no problem at all – welcome!

So, I completed the limited paperwork and supplied the requested photocopies of our passports, crew list and Panama Zarpe and received an account as follows:

International arrival 21.48

Canal access 2.16

Anchorage 21.96

De-contamination 16.10

Radio licence 11.47

Departure Zarpe 21.48

Forms 0.80

Light & Buoy fees 27.00

Total: US$122.45

We were not charged the $100 per person for park fees as we were not going to sail to other islands in the archipelago.

I hope the above will help with other yachts intending to visit this paradise – do not miss it!

John

Old 09-17-2007, 10:50 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

Thanks!

That is GREAT news as we intend to drop the hook in the Galapagos Islands on our way from Panama to the Marquesas in the not-so-distant future!

It's always best to get the current local scoop from someone who is right there with their feet in the sand.

To Life!

Kirk
Old 09-17-2007, 11:49 PM   #4
Ensign

Hi Folks

There are many recent updates on the Souhbound_Group forum regarding Ecuador. You will have to join the forum to view the updates. Many folks are getting these updates via sailmail and sat links hence the requirement to try and keep spam out and the requirement to join. Follow the link to find the subscribe email on the bottom of the web page.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbound_group/

The Southbound Group is used by cruisers on the West Coast of the Americas to share relevant information on areas of interest between San Diego, California and South America including the Galapagos.

The purpose of the list is to disseminate information that other Southbounders may find useful. If you are "ahead of the pack" or off the beaten track, sending information specific to where you went, where you anchored, what was ashore, corrections to the information provided in the cruising guides, changes in policy, prices, facility availability, marina closures, hazards to navigation, etc. is very appropriate. Factual information on inland trips, where you stayed, how much, what was good or bad, where the best surf or fishing spots are, etc. is also appropriate.

For those in Mexico and Central America this is one of the best ways to keep up to date on current regulations.

Regards

Chuck

Jacaranda