Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-10-2008, 11:29 PM   #1
Ensign

Anyone here will know more than I since I have no clue what is proper.

If invited for a "day sail" I know I should provide my own Lunch, etc., but what else? Fuel $$$, beer (I don't drink), something for the boat?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:15 AM   #2
Admiral

Hi ,

If you know how many people are coming - then bring food that everyone can share eg a salad, a desert. A bottle of wine for the boat. That's it, besides your good company .

Remember to wear rubber soled shoes that won't mark the boat, otherwise bare feet. Sun screen. A hat that won't blow away.

Enjoy the day.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:27 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Depending on the size of boat, refrigeration may be a problem. Ask if you should bring a cooler, or ice, or if in fact the boat has full refrigeration installed. Nothing is worse than warm drinks on a boat without refrigeration...nothing is more of a nuisance to a skipper than 5 people all turning up with independently stacked coolers, which have to be stored after their contents have been stacked in the boat's refrigerator.

If you will be on deck and exposed, try to wear a hat with a string on it.....few skippers enjoy unscheduled MOB drills, when someone loses a hat over the side.

Have a good day on the water.

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
Admiral

One thing I always appreciate when I have guests on board is that they have as little as possible with them. Space is limited!

With regard to the cooler boxes, there are some good cooler "bags". I have one which has place for just two bottles of wine. If you go for wine then maybe such a bag is a god idea too. They are not so expensive and easily stowed as well as offering the bottles protection and keeping the wine cool (chill it before you leave for the boat as the boat may have no fridge or, if it has, space might be at a premium).

MMNETSEA mentioned shoes scuffing the boat. I am sure YOU will not do that but maybe some other guest will. Put a large pencil eraser in your pocket. Scuff marks can be "erased". If some one else does scuff the boat and you "erase" the marks the skipper will probably offer you a permanent crewing position!

Anything else? Avoid things made of glass unless it is the hardened type which would stand up to the conditions. There is nothing worse than trying to get small shards of glass out of the bilge! Avoid also clogging the head (loo). The old concept of nothing goes down it unless you have eaten it first applies. There is no quick fix for a blocked head. An eraser will not help. No surer way to not being re-invited on board than clogging the head.

Don't forget the sunblock!

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

I'd simply RSVP the owner of the boat (or the person who invited you) and cheerfully ask "What can I bring?" and "How should I dress?" They'll let you know.

Immediately upon boarding ask "Where can I stow this?" Then find yourself a neutral corner in the cockpit or below and make yourself as unobtrusive as you can. Most skippers & crew have a well oiled routine for preparing to get underway quickly. Ask if there's anything you can do to help... but just try to keep out of the way for now. It's always nice when someone asks if they can go get another bag of ice or any other last minute items.

Once underway - ask again if there's anything you can do to help. I usually ask guests to simply relax and stay put until things settle down a bit.

Sit back and observe. Ask the captain if it's okay to try steering for a bit. Offer to get anyone a drink. Partcipate.

Above all else - NEVER SIT IN THE COMPANIONWAY or block access to sheet winches or tell bad jokes.

Upon return - be sure to thank the owners / captain / crew. Offer to take trash bags to the bin ashore. Again - offer to help stow things away. If only half the beer you brought was consumed - I believe it's in bad taste to pack-up the remainder home with you... so offer to leave the rest with the boat & crew for later.

Sometimes the host will be more than happy for everyone to just hang out and chat, eat, drink and be merry in the marina. Other times they won't. Thank your host again and play that one by ear.

If you had a great time - let the host know and tell them you'd welcome the chance to sail with them again. Leave your card / phone number or sign the guest book if there is one.

Have fun!

Kirk
Old 05-12-2008, 07:28 AM   #6

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Have fun in your sailing adventure as a guest,

"yes" thoughts on what others have already said:

Ditto on the idea of asking what you can bring (food, drinks).

Ditto on staying away from glass things. If the skipper says you can bring beer--ask if he/she prefers cans rather than having glass bottles on the boat.

Ditto on don't clog the head! Also, if a small boat it may have a tiny holding tank, so don't flush, flush, flush, flush--do your thing and use as few flushes as possible to avoid filling the tank with seawater.

Ditto on bringing as LITTLE as possible onboard. If you have a jacket/sweater/hat expect to wear them or stash them below where ever your host wants them. Bulky bags are frequently a hassle for your host to stow out of the way.

Ditto on staying out of the way! Ask the captain where he/she wants you and make yourself "small"

Only other stuff--we've taken lots of folks out sailing. They frequently bring along food and drink that are appreciated by all on board. Generally, we do not like them to leave food and drinks behind as too much already gets left on the boat that we'll never eat or drink. So, contrary to what another cruiser advised about not taking things home with you--simply ask the host where he'd like you to place the extra food/drink here on the boat as you're helping put things away after the trip. If he/she wants the stuff left, he'll simply indicate where to put it or say "oh, just leave it there" but if he/she is like us, he'll tell you to take the stuff home with you. In that case, do so and don't feel bad at all. If you don't get to help clean up and get "shoo-ed " away then certainly don't pick up things to take with you unless your host presses it upon you.

When it comes time to leave the boat, don't just leave! Offer to help clean the boat, put away things, take the trash up to the marina bins, do wipe-down/washdown, whatever the boat needs and the skipper wants. There is as much work in putting everything away as in getting all going.

Also, I suggest that you tell the skipper to feel free to put you to work as he/she sees fit and have fun, whatever you may contribute to the trip. I suggest that you NOT ask to steer the boat: if the boat's owner wants to have you or other folks steer, he/she will offer it up at an appropriate time. On the other hand, if the captain doesn't want another person steering (high winds, competitive race underway, too many other boats close by in the harbor, there are many good reasons not to hand over the helm including the fact that this boat may be the skipper's "baby"...) they won't have to feel bad saying no to you.

Have lots of fun!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:17 AM   #7
Admiral

"Don't clog the head! Also, if a small boat it may have a tiny holding tank, so don't flush, flush, flush, flush--do your thing and use as few flushes as possible to avoid filling the tank with seawater."

This admonition should be directed to the Skipper - When new guests arrive, one of the most important duties a skipper has is to instruct the guests on the mysteries of his boat's head/s - toilets. It is not good enough to expect the innocent to to find out for themselves
Old 05-12-2008, 02:00 PM   #8

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
"Don't clog the head! Also, if a small boat it may have a tiny holding tank, so don't flush, flush, flush, flush--do your thing and use as few flushes as possible to avoid filling the tank with seawater."

This admonition should be directed to the Skipper - When new guests arrive, one of the most important duties a skipper has is to instruct the guests on the mysteries of his boat's head/s - toilets. It is not good enough to expect the innocent to to find out for themselves
This may well be true, but we have found from experience that time and again that even after careful instruction, it is far too common for guests to still use the head improperly; excessive use of water and over flushing being pretty common.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
it is far too common for guests to still use the head improperly.
Despite ALL instructions, I once had a head blocked by a Tampax. Totally unnecessary and totally angry skipper - and I don't get angry easily! So yes, it happens.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #10
Rear Admiral

When I ask guest aboard I am very thorough with what I would like them to bring, dress, and being timely. I warn them to bring me along to the head with them, and we will go over the use, and then I check after. I have my procedure of getting away from the dock, so I place my guest in positions where there will be no hindrance.

Once underway I involve them in everything I can. Some are intimidated by the lines & winches, so they become passive passengers. Those that want to learn usually drive the boat. Most times by the time we return I have involved them enough to help with docking, and handling lines.

I myself send them home before I do any organizing of the boat, and washdown. That is the second part of my therapy, besides the actual sail itself. It is time for me to be alone with her, and make her tidy.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:56 PM   #11
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
"I myself send them home before I do any organizing of the boat, and washdown. That is the second part of my therapy, besides the actual sail itself. It is time for me to be alone with her, and make her tidy."
My kinda Guy, few understand that "therapy". Thanks