Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-07-2007, 02:25 AM   #1
Ensign

Dear Cruisers----------Hello from george in tampa,Ive been sailing and cruising awhile and still havent solved the "dinghy " question.What is best in a 35-40 foot sailboat and how can it be handled /carried/maintained????Ive been the inflatable route and currently have a LED 88 Achilles wood floor - also a recent purchase,a 9 ft Boston Whaler Obs are Nissan 3.5 and 5 hp both 2 cycle.Previously i had a Force four 8-6 alum bottonm RIB(uggggggggghhhhh!)and a blue Achilles 8-6 sportboaty wooden floor ( Pretty good). it seems that a dinghy is so important that 2 should be carried!Also 2 outboards!I now have a Gulfstar 37 and think Ill keep both dinghys on deck on open ocean passages and the davits empty. The Achilles will be rolled up and the Boston Whaler upside down on bow.Both OBs on the stern rail (which is reinforced with KATO straps.)Then when cruising coatwise or island hopping Ill put the Boston Whaler in davis and the Achilles inflated on deck.. What say you??? Will probably go back to Rio Dulce next fall...george

Old 07-07-2007, 03:29 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi George, I have lost count of the amount of money I have spent looking for a perfect dinghy. I have had aluminium dinghys, a timber dinghy, a firbeglass 'suicide' pram dinghy, an injection moulded, double walled plastic dinghy, a soft bottom inflatable and now have a 10' RIB Avon.

Each one has had its advantages and each its disadvantages. I think as the cruising fraternity graduates to marinas rather than swinging on the hook, requirements for dinghies have changed. I think you probably have the mix about perfect with two dinghies, each one suitable to a different purpose.

I agree with your choice to stow the dinghies inboard. I think stern mounted davits are potentially the most dangerous appliances on board an offshore cruising boat.

In my perfect cruising world, I would want a 2 metre, noiseless, 6 man hovercraft as my dinghy.

Methinks it is easier to find the perfect woman, than it is to find the perfect dinghy.

Cheese

David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 07:20 AM   #3
Ensign

I've got what is called a ''Dinkum Tough Duck''. It's basically an inflatable in shape except it is made of a lightweight honeycomb/ fibreglass material, the sort of thing used in multihulls and best of all no blowing it up. Its not bad , mine is a 1.8 mtr unit and it is very stable. I way 110kilos and I can stand on the gunwhale no problems. The position for the oarlocks is totally useless and I'm currently trying to find a sulution to that. It is far from perfect but it is lightweight about 25kilos and no problems with puncturing it. I did a bit of research into inflatables and found that they are very susceptible to punctures from sand and coral the sort of stuff that works its way into the small crevices and creates a problem by abrasion. But like David says nothing is perfect. If I had the money I'd be looking at a rigid tender with inflatable tubes around the gunwhale such as the walkers or check out a website called http://dinghydogs.com/ This could be a good solution.easy to row, power and even sail.

Good luck

George

http://www.tscq.org.au/JCM.htm

PS check out this site for the ducks as well
Old 07-07-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
Ensign

Dear David, Im thinking that a 10 ft alum jonboat type like a Ghenoe might work ok --Was this the Alum one you had?Kinda like a old style rowboat but light and has air compartments .How is that Avon?I just dont have faith in the newer Achilles that i bought-Its being repaired under factorty recall right now as the safety lies webbing attachment rotted out after only 5 months in the florida sun!=

-----George---

As for the perfect woman applicants please email me asap.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi George,

The Avon seems to be a good boat. The fibreglass bottom though, makes it quite heavy. It will plane with 2 people on a 5hp Yamaha and it can be rowed. The only problem I have had is with the inflation valves which seem to always leak just a little.

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem. I note the new valves are expensive and wonder if a spray, over the diaphragm, with liquid lanolin might stop the leak without clogging the valve.

The webbing is a problem in tropical climates. I think it may have something to do with the place of manufacture. Avon, Zodiak and Bombard don't seem to have such a problem with UV degradation. They are not made in the orient. That may of course be coincidence.

The aluminium dinghy I had was an Oz made Savage car Topper. Light weight, with high freeboard and made as a weekend fishing boat for camping families. Aluminium dinghies are difficult to get aboard, difficult to stow and when tied to the pushpit, they always spend the night trying to get in through the transom.....and of course the constant 'slap-slap-slap' of water lapping at the 'tin' hull makes for some really angry stamping up onto the deck at three in the morning.

David.

PS...also it seems when you are on the hook, the aluminium dinghy is always exactly below the spot where old bleary eyes has propped for his midnight piddle.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
Lieutenant

Home Port: Mackay
Vessel Name: Dreammaker

Hi Auzzee as that I am just learning what's the go about davits being dangerous. I've got a great big pair on my boat and are now thinking of what to put there. I was thinking of going with an aluminuim 3 mtr tender as my boat is aluminium.

Tags
dinghy