Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #21
Ensign

Home Port: Calgary

Hello! New to the forum and I am a want-to-be sailor! My dad sailed when we lived in Australia late 50's early 60's. That became a passion! After reading many books he chose to build his Samson 32' C- Mist in Canada a 1000 km away from the ocean. He bought the blue prints & motor in 1972 in Vancouver. We moved to Prince George where he waited until the funds grew enough to start building. He made the braces and a few cheap items over the year but never made enough money to start to really build. He was a great wood worker and a craftsman in everything he did. He started to build the hull in late 80's. Finished it by gathering crate wood that were made from teak and mahogany picking up from different stores for free. Because he was not working he also went out in the forest and cut down trees to build cabinets. He went around to truck and auto shops to gather wheel weights for ballast. He started to roll in the money when turning 65 (haha Canada pension plan!) and moved the hull to the out skirts of Vancouver to finish the boat and get it ready for the maiden voyage in I think June of 1993. My brother and I took turns with my dad sailing around between Vancouver and the island. The weight of the boat helps to cut through the waves and be smoother than lighter boats. It was an awesome time and I will never forget it! It was my first sailing adventure and I continue with the bug! As I get older my yearning gets stronger!

I wish my dad was still with us to tell us of his first Pacific crossing. However he didn't make it! The doldrums and a lack of radio antenna not giving him enough distance to contact help more than 50 miles away! He finally got a hold of a British merchant ship that resupplied him with 40 days of food and water. They told him he was too sick, wanted to sink his boat to save him. He politely told them to continue on! As if he was going to give up on his first real sail! Six months later the boat was found still afloat with a broken mast and a couple of feet of water in her but no sailor! The fishing vessel hooked onto Te Ava Roa and hauled her toward Hawaii. But after 3 days of high seas and their tow rope breaking in as many days. They went on board to remove a few things and later the coast guard returned them to my Mum. After going completely underwater several time while under tow in high seas and less than a day away they had to cut her loose. At that point she had over 4 feet of water in her. I am sure creatures in the sea have made a good home of her now for many ferro years to come! That was 18 1/2 years ago now! Dad was 67 years old when he passed but hey he died living!

Just passing this on to the world of C-Mists out there! I was reading this blog when I came across C-Mist owners comments and thought to add my own memories...

Old 01-31-2013, 01:05 AM   #22
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

It's always sad when any great adventure turns to disaster. I am sure your Dad was a fine man who would be proud to know one of his offspring shares his dreams.

Much has changed in 18 years and contact, anywhere on the planet, is merely a satellite phone call away. I hope you have the chance to live your dream. My love of sailing comes from my father's connection to the sea also.

As I ponder this year's Pacific crossing, he remains at 86, my most staunch supporter.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:31 AM   #23
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

That is the story of one very persistent man. I admire his determination but hope I don't share his fate.

Yes, I have a ferro. Actually I have two of them, both Hartleys.

Rob

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:51 PM   #24
Ensign

Home Port: Rockhampton
Vessel Name: Cool Change
Default Is thread still active

Hi, I was just wondering if this thread is still active, last post in 2103.

I have managed to acquire a Hartley RORC 39, slightly damaged in a cyclone we had earlier this year, all well above water line. Some previous minor repairs not done properly, and she doesn't have a mast.

The mast missing doesn't worry me, I got her at the right price, and as my cruising is fairly limited to a river system, sailing is not really an option.

Previous boat was a small 28' motor boat.

Basically joining the forum to see what the rest of the world does.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:12 AM   #25
Admiral

Welcome. I am sure Haiqu will be on to you quickly. He has experience with refitting a couple of Hartleys. Lots of knowledge about ferro boats on the forum. If you need specific advice regarding the renovation, please call.
Cheers.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #26
Ensign

Home Port: weymouth ma
Default ferro cement

Built this myself, lunched in 1980 and have lived on board for 25 years. nothing rides like cement. I live on a mooring in the summer and at a slip for the winter. boat is a Samson design 40 foot over all. The mast look like wood but they are aluminum. Cabin house is plywood glass over,deck are cement.
motor is 43 hp diesel. I am putting in a new 57 HP Yanmar diesel this summer.
I keep the boat in Weymouth MA. USA witch is next to Boston.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0923.jpg   DSCN0922.jpg   DSCN0858.jpg   DSCN0921.jpg   wailer.jpg  

Old 04-16-2015, 02:52 AM   #27
Ensign

Very nice htcracing, must have been a big job building her.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:10 PM   #28
Admiral

You should find this useful:

Wooden Mast and Spar building

Old 04-16-2015, 12:30 PM   #29
Ensign

Home Port: weymouth ma

Hi haiqu
thanks for the link on wooden mast. I had wood mast till two years ago but got tired of all the work to keep them looking good. the alu, mast I awl griped with 4 diffrent colors to make them look like wood. This was a lot of work as it is takes 6 diffrrent steps. You can't not tell thay are alu, now.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:47 AM   #30
Admiral

Ah. That was for technophobe56 who doesn't have a mast as yet.

Old 04-17-2015, 02:01 AM   #31
Ensign

Hi Haiqu,
I do actually have a mast, but the guy I got the boat from only ever bought the boat for the mast, to put on another boat he is doing up. Eventually, the mast will come off. The thing is, I am nearly 60, have never sailed, wouldn't even know where to start, and my cruising is confined to the river here so sailing is not really an option, so I guess what I really have is a Hartley RORC 39 motor boat

I saying that, I did get her at a severely discounted price.

I was looking for a motor boat, certainly not looking at ferro, but this came up, learning about ferro and repairs, and I couldn't be happier.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:05 PM   #32
Admiral

Hi Technophobe, Using the ferro yacht as a motorboat is a fine idea. However, I would advise you to keep the mast, even if you never bend on a sail. The underwater profile of a ballasted sailing boat is totally different from that of a motorboat. One of the things which allows this to happen is ascribed to the pendulum effect. On a pendulum, you will see that the shorter it is, (or the position of the moveable weight along the shaft of the pendulum), the faster the pendulum will oscillate. Imagine taking the pendulum off a clock. The oscillation is so fast the clock will race. In short, the pendulum adds a degree of moment. It is the same on a sail boat. If you remove the mast (the arm of the pendulum) the hull oscillates faster. It will roll on its beam ends in any sort of a swell or slop and you will get mighty sick of the movement mighty quickly. Keep the mast in place and the boat will sit comfortably in the water. You can move the boom (but that's a very nice place to hang a sun awning), but keep the cap shrouds, inner stays, fore and aft stays and that way you can keep the stick in the air and nobody spends the day spewing.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:06 AM   #33
Admiral

Technophobe, I'm 62 and have only been on one trip so far, from Newcastle to Christchurch, NZ. It's never too late to learn and you might actually enjoy sailing ... especially when you realize how costly diesel can be for longer trips!

I'd suggest keeping an eye open for someone looking for delivery crew up the coast and jumping in with an offer of help. Good way to make friends as well.

The RORC 39 is a fine sailing boat, far better than either of mine when in running condition and certainly too good to be used as a river barge.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:02 AM   #34
zeb
Ensign

Home Port: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Dragon Fly

Hi all. Just wondering why with all the toughness of a well build Ferro boat it is hard to find examples of Ferro Catamarans.

I an thinking of building a Cat and pondering the use of Ferro.

cheers
Old 08-16-2015, 07:50 PM   #35
Admiral

Ferro is a good material, but is not necessarily suitable for smaller, or lightweight, boats. I guess it depends upon the size you are contemplating. The other concern about ferro for a non ballasted boat is that once holed, a catamaran will generally float as long as it is constructed of a material which has a lower specific density than the water in which, it is hoped, it will remain afloat.. Ferro doesn't fit the bill here.
Finally, the reason why ferro has gone out of favour is not because it is unsuitable; rather, the cost of materials (cement and steel for the armature) has become very expensive. For a home built these days, therefore, most are using marine ply and epoxy.
Hope this was of some help.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:37 PM   #36
zeb
Ensign

Good point about specific density Auzzie. I guess the issue of being holed is a growing concern with the number of other craft and floating objects on the water, not to mention my own ability to bump into fixed objects.

My thinking is moving toward the refit of a live a board monohull in order to get out on the water as fast as possible and play mind games with the Cat idea while puddling around the pacific islands.
Which leads me into the mind bend of which hull material I feel more inclined to spend a year laboring over Wood or Ferro. It really comes down to weighing up pro's and con's then running with the material I most want the romance of living with.

No doubt a bigger budget and more red wine will be required to come to an answer.

Cheers
Old 08-17-2015, 04:16 AM   #37
Admiral

Red wine makes a fine catalyst.
Take a look at James Wharram's designs for catamarans. Easy home builds and good seaworthy boats for not a lot of money.
Good cheap boats to fix-up are generally either one or the other....good, or cheap; this is where ferro comes into its own. There is such a thing as a good cheap ferro boat and they can be found as long as you have a knowledgeable ferro bloke helping you look.
Good luck.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:43 AM   #38
zeb
Ensign

Default Wharram

The Wharram's are a neat option for sure. I have mate who just had a Tiki 38' built in Thailand. Beautiful boat.

At he moment I am swinging toward getting set up in a mono hull asap and getting back out on the water. It becomes a matter of do you spend your time on shore getting ready or do you compromise and be on the water planning the next move.

I read the thread about cruising budgets and thought it is probably to do it safely, but with out all the mod cons. Than wait until everything is just right only to find the boats more sea worthy than my body is.

I am wondering is there any information around detailing what normally sinks cruising yachts or injures sailors.

I am thinking weather or at least not being prepared for it would be a biggy, but what are the other common causes?

Cheers
Old 08-17-2015, 04:49 AM   #39
zeb
Ensign

Thumbs up essential skills

Is it a case of an old boat in the hands of a well prepared sailor is safer than a technological dream boat in the hands of an idiot?

This also begs the question how does one prepare for cruising.
I know there was some discussion about the essential equipment to carry, but what are the essential skills required for cruising.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:29 AM   #40
Admiral

I think it would depend a lot on what kind of cruising you intend to do, zeb. The term covers anything from gunkholing up the coast to crossing oceans. If you're going solo then I'd certainly do the former before attempting the latter.

Primary skills - apart from the usual 'bloke skills' like knowing how to use tools - would include navigation, weather interpretation, patience, self-sufficiency and being organized. I know a lot of tradesmen who have great manual skills that I wouldn't let near a boat because they leave crap all over the kitchen at home, expecting the wife to clean up after them. You can't live like that in confined spaces. If you could comfortably live out of the back of a small van then you should be OK on a yacht.

As to what sinks yachts, the usual is getting into weather that the boat isn't capable of handling. Colliding with a submerged object would probably be in second place. So as long as you keep well away from coasts (and therefore hidden reefs and rocks) and keep an ear on the maritime weather reports there's very little risk of it. One other obvious danger zone is arriving at an entrance bar late in the day and being just a bit too tired and attempting to get in so you can anchor up and rest. Better off waiting until the next morning unless you're fully alert.