Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-01-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
Ensign

Default Do You Have A Ferro?

Hi,

I'm a bird with a ferro boat and I'd like to network with other ferro owners for advice on which epoxies and paints are best. Plus bundles of other questions.

Cheers.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:12 PM   #2
Ensign

Hi Bead,

I have a Samson C-mist, 32 foot, currently on the hard in Perth, W.A., I bought an unfinished project and hope to be on the water by christmas,

Cheers, Emmo

Old 10-02-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
Ensign

Hi Emmo,

Thanks for replying. I might be tapping you at some point for pointers! I get to my boat in March and then it's all about the boat!

Sometimes this ferro club can be a bit lonely. There's no user-friendly forum out there for us risk-takers!
Old 10-03-2006, 04:34 PM   #4
Commander

I'm the very contented owner of a 42' ferro yacht. Ferro got a bad name some years back but believe me there are plenty of excellent ferro yachts. I'm presently in the Whitsunday region of the Great Barrier Reef in Queensland Australia. I did have a problem with loosing the anti fouling at an alarming rate but that was caused by the electrical wiring, since that problem was cured I've been more than happy with my yacht. Ferro yachts are very under rated but thats through bad word of mouth and not personal experience. One bad ferro is like a bad apple, it turns you off eating more apples.

Any questions fire them to me by email at 'bedouin@hotkey.net.au'

Regards

Peter Yacht Bedouin
Old 10-05-2006, 09:19 PM   #5
Ensign

hi bead,

if you haven't already, check out this site:

www.ferroboats.com

i was looking at ferro boats for the longest time...i was fairly certain i'd be buying one...then, by chance, i came across a really nice Formosa ketch(fiberglass)that was in my modest budget. regardless, i spent so much time looking into ferroboats i still check all the ferro post's.

i bought collin brookes' book...i recommend it!

max mariner

Duluth, MN

lostpearl.blogspot.com
max mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 11:40 AM   #6
Ensign

Thanks for all the replies. I really want to get my hands on that ferro book!

Fairwines to you all.

M
Old 10-10-2006, 09:50 AM   #7
Lieutenant

I fully fitted out a professionally built 53 foot ferro several years ago. Great material except for resale value which is dreadful. As it was a while ago, I may be out of date, but feel free to send any questions to me on johnstretch46@hotmail.co.uk

I am currently in Thailand on my 53 foot steel Robert Tucker

John alias Steelfan
Old 10-10-2006, 05:38 PM   #8
Ensign

Thanks, John,

For sure I will put your contact details in my 'help' file.

Ah, the resale value doesn't bother me so much because the boat was so cheap anyway. That's the beauty of ferro: it puts sailing into the hands of those who would otherwise have to wait until they retired and/or won the lottery.

God bless ferro.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:20 AM   #9
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

To encourage those who are considering the purchase of a ferro yacht, I feel it worthwhile to point out that resale value on a seaworthy boat, is in fact very high indeed. Resale value relates to the amount you sell the boat for, as compared to the price you originally paid. Buy a new Beneteau and sell it in five years and you will discover that resale is very poor indeed at about 70%. Whereas a good ferro boat which costs you, say $50K will, in five years, return you around $50K. Of course it is wise to have any boat you are considering buying surveyed by someone qualified (see the admin link to Moqini) whether it is made from ferro, glass,steel, timber, or alloy.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:39 AM   #10
Ensign

I agree with Auzee and actually believe that my yacht will be worth more in the future!

Like, millions and millions moor.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:19 AM   #11
Ensign

I have a Samson designed C-Lord schooner and she is damned near bullet proof, Of the five boats that have hit us only three walked away with just minor damages, The other two were demasted and or cabins crushed, (none my fault), We just get minor paint scratches.

Love my ferro got it so cheep cause everyone else is scared and un educated,(fibraglass breaks down faster and requires more maintenance). Well fair winds

Check our website> http://jonesonwater2.bravehost.com
Old 11-02-2006, 06:15 PM   #12
Ensign

Thanks for keeping this thread going. It's great to come across other ferro owners like this.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #13
Ensign

Home Port: auckland

I have a samson c-mist 32 . She is ferro and is bullet proof. There are no issues with rust and I have recently faired the hull and painted with 2 pot epoxy and it has come up beautiful.. Never know it was ferro. She is heavy but makes for great passage making. Name of vessel is Boadecia. Has anyone any history of her? Built in canada? 1972.
Gaff rigged too.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:34 AM   #14
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

I now own a 42 foot Robert Tucker designed Ferro Epoxy Cutter Rigged Sloop. I am very happy with "Travesty" but she does need a bit of wind to move her along. I am in Port Doulas for the foreseeable future and am always wiling to meet others.

I have been a member of this forum for a while but just logged back on today for the first time in ages.

My yacht was built in the UK and has crossed the Atlantic and Pacific. She is a strong, safe, seaworthy, blue water yacht.

Lex
Old 04-27-2012, 05:52 AM   #15

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome back, Lexx,

Enjoy the forums

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #16
Lieutenant

Home Port: Gisborne
Vessel Name: Balaena Bay

I've a 32 Atkin's "Thistle" in ferro built by Sayers, Whangarei , NZ about 1978. Its a delightful yacht thats easy to maintain, well the hull is. Sails sweetly and is proven to be tough and dependable. A well built ferro will be great yacht. They have a delightful quietness through the water thats magic.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #17
Rear Admiral

I now own a 42 foot Robert Tucker designed Ferro Epoxy Cutter Rigged Sloop. I am very happy with "Travesty" but she does need a bit of wind to move her along. I am in Port Doulas for the foreseeable future and am always wiling to meet others.

Hey Travesty! - you're just up the road from us and I think we've seen you on occasions when we've been up that way around Low Isles. Nice vessel

While in complete ignorance of Ferro vessels I have seen a couple recently that I would have sworn were glass fibre. Obviously the build techniques have improved amazingly. The vessels we saw were an epoxy ferro combo and I'm assuming that the epoxy simply replaced the water to create the slurry mix? Both skippers said it takes just a bit longer to get them up and trucking along but they were still beautiful vessels.

The only question I have is what do you do about repairs? We have a couple of cans of epoxy & hardener with some glass roving under the forwad bunk but we're scratching our head as to whererwe would stow the cement mixer and wheel barrow if Mico was a ferro

Fair winds,

Mico
Old 04-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #18
Capt'n

Hey Mico,

I usually go out to Lowe every couple of weeks with friends, nice spot to relax with a few drinks. Thinking of going to Snapper for a weekend fishing soon.

Repairing the hull is pretty easy, most two pac epoxy fillers work well. Over the years for small scrapes from the likes of ring bolts on mooring poles I have found Plastibond to be really effective. Its two pac, sticks like crazy, water proof, can be sanded, drilled, tapped and hardens in just a few minutes. Always keep some on the yacht.

Travesty loves anything between 15 and 30 knots. On a recent trip back from Townsville we averaged 6.2 knots for the trip on the GPS and topped 10.1 knots at one stage with the kite flying. Anything under about 10 to 12 knots and we motor sail.

Am thinking of sailing down to Cairns and exploring a bit in a few weeks time. I wanna spend some time at Fitzroy as well with friends from Cairns.

Lex
Old 04-28-2012, 04:18 AM   #19
Rear Admiral

That's not bad going. Give us a shout when you're down this way. We're sitting in Yorkies Marina at the moment. Fitzroy has undergone a few changes with the new resort - don't anchor close to the jetty if you want to get any sleep on a Saturday night - it's party town! There are still a few marine park moorings about there. One opposite Nudie Beach down the southern end, two just in side the southern end of the bay and another two around the northern side and even though they are close to the cliff, in a SWerly they are pretty calm. Just don't get caught there in a northerly change.

Fair winds,

Mico
Old 04-30-2012, 06:02 AM   #20
Capt'n

Thanks Mico, I stopped at Fitzroy last September bit it was just fo the night on a delivery I was doing. We day trip Lowe and Snapper here regularly but I have fiends in Cairns who usually come up so for a change of pace I was thinking of sailing down to Cairns one day, doing a long day trip to Fitzroy the next and coming back to Port the day after. Will make a nice 3 day weekend for me.

Lexx