Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-17-2008, 01:31 AM   #1
Ensign

Ok, here it goes... I have the opportunity to buy a D32. It looks good and of course I'll have it inspected before completing any transaction. The price seems to be right in the middle for this sort of boat.

Anyway, with my first look over I'm pretty impressed and I'm sure it would make a decent 1st big boat. I'm thinking of constant live aboard for the next 15 - 20 years and journeys of from here on Jordan's Stormy Bank to Australia, Gulf of Alaska, my home country of Chile, etc. I will most likely be sharing with a permenant crewmember and her 2 cats (Are older cats an issue?)

While discussing the D32, others have positively raved about Catalinas and Tartans. Obviously I want the most boat for the money. Is there anyone out there able to give a fair comparison, or personal impressions of these boats?

Regards,

-Andreas

-Shawshank Redemption

Current Fleet:

'90 Klepper Aerius I

'65 Klepper Aerius II

-Dreaming of (much) larger boats!
Kaptain von Klepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:58 AM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain von Klepper View Post
I will most likely be sharing with a permanent crewmember and her 2 cats (Are older cats an issue?)

While discussing the Dreadnought 32, others have positively raved about Catalinas and Tartans. Obviously I want the most boat for the money. Is there anyone out there able to give a fair comparison, or personal impressions of these boats?

Regards,

-Andreas
Cats that are well cared for and get a balanced diet on board as a routine will enjoy life and live for many years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	d32.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	456

The Tahiti has a good reputation for blue water cruising - a full out of the water condition survey is advised , blisters and rigging including chain plates and the bobstay fittings to be thoroughly looked at.

As far as comparisons go with the other boats - we have members who can cover those aspects.

Richard

Old 05-17-2008, 06:53 AM   #3
Ensign

You are talking apples and ostriches. The Dreadnought is a heavy displacement, low aspect ratio sailplan, full keel boat built to take on most everything but aren't going to win any races. The Tartans and Catalinas are light to moderate displacement, high aspect ratio, fin keel boats intended for coastal cruising.

If you are leaning to the heavy displacement side, look at a Westsail 32. They are way better sailors than the D32 and much more spacious inside.

Aloha

Peter O.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:12 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
If you are leaning to the heavy displacement side, look at a Westsail 32. They are way better sailors than the D32 and much more spacious inside.

Aloha

Peter O.
Hi Peter, looking at them both of these boats - they appear very similar. The Westsail designers Archer/Crealock have excellent credentials

Click image for larger version

Name:	westsail_32.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	457

What makes one better than the other in terms of sailing offshore? Any information very useful to

those of us not that familiar with their performance - guess they are not often seen in races!

Richard
Old 05-17-2008, 10:41 PM   #5
Ensign

OK, you've got my attention,

Westsail = LOA 32' | LWL 27'-6" | Beam: 11'-0" | Draft: 5'-0" | Ballast: 7000 LBS. | Displ: 20,000 LBS. | Sail area: 663 SQ. FT

Dreadnought = LOA 32' | LWL 29' | Beam: 10'-9" | Draft: 4'-8" | Ballast: ? LBS. | Displ: 19,980 LBS. | Sail area: 800+/- SQ. FT

I don't see much difference, only more than 83 Westsails were ever built. It does give me one more perspective boat to look into. About the Tartans and Catalinas; the main reason I was checking into these was that so many people have been pointing me into that direction (most people haven't heard of D32s BTW. And I know we're talking about deep water vs. coastal. Somebody was just telling me that plenty of people world cruise in Tartans and Catalinas after they've beefed up the rigging. This just gives me a few more options than the handful of D32s and Westsails that fit into my budget.

-Shawshank Redemption

Current Fleet:

'90 Klepper Aerius I

'65 Klepper Aerius II

Old 05-17-2008, 11:59 PM   #6
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain von Klepper View Post
Westsail = LWL 27'-6" | Sail area: 663 SQ. FT

Dreadnought = LWL 29' | Sail area: 800+/- SQ. FT
Apart from LWL and Sail Area - Westsail and the D32 have almost the same important specifications.

Interesting. With the LWL on the D32 providing a max hull speed of 7.22 kts vs a max 7.03kts for the Westsail. And the D32 with some 20% more sail >>>>

The D32 on a paper chart should get there first.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:36 AM   #7
Ensign

That was what I was thinking. With only 83 ever built I'm also thinking there isn't really enough fair comparison out there to just say the Westsail is automatically the better boat. Personal experience tells me the more sail area is going to make a difference unless there's a CE or CLR problem, similar to what I experience in my Kleppers. The profile doesn't even seem to be that different and I'd assume 3 out of 4 owners of either boat would make identity mistakes at dusk.

Are there any figures out there for area of enclosed living space for either boat? I'm still leaning toward the D32 and since it seems faster on paper, which one is bigger inside? I'm not sure I'd go down to California for a boat that is only 5 to 10% bigger inside. That would be like changing condos just because the bedroom is 6" - 12" longer on one side.

-Andreas

-Shawshank Redemption

Current Fleet:

'90 Klepper Aerius I

'65 Klepper Aerius II

Old 05-18-2008, 04:36 AM   #8
Ensign

Someone has recently pointed me in the direction of an O'Day 30+. I'll have to check to see if we have any down in FH or Roche Harbor. I know where the only D32 on the island is... There's probably a Westsail or 2 around here too. BTW if any of y'all are around here and have one of these boats in question, pm me. I'll gladly exchange the trouble for a run from Roche or FH to Market Place for provisions. I also get off island from time to time up to Bellingham or Burlington if you need a ride. I can't imagine that somebody on this forum isn't here or about to be here. The whole world passes through FH.

-Andreas

-Shawshank Redemption

Current Fleet:

'90 Klepper Aerius I

'65 Klepper Aerius II

Old 05-18-2008, 09:33 AM   #9
Ensign

The D32 Beam is 10' IIRC, has a shorter water line, less displacement, and less working sail area than a W32. Go look at a W32 and a D32 side by side and it's readily apparent that the D32 is a smaller boat.

The Tahiti Ketch, from which the D32 is copied, was designed to be built in the backyard by an amateur. To make it easy to build, a lot of compromises were made to the lines that were not good for sailing speed. FWIW, sailed against a D32 under working sails in ideal conditions for these boats. The D32 was significantly slower than our W32, put him hull down over the horizon in a surprizingly short time. Under the right conditions, W32's will fly. Averaged 118nmpd for over 10,000 miles with virtually no engine usage. Best 24 hour run was 178nm and broke 170nm a number of times. Did 183 nm in 24 hours on another W32. Best run was 900 miles in six days. Neither boat will be a speed demon in light air but both will have an easy motion when things kick up and will get you there in reasonable comfort with good carrying capacity.

I'm not that familiar with O'days but have heard they aren't the best built boats. A good boat for coastal cruising but not a boat you'd want to tackle the Atlantic in. If you are looking at full keel, heavy displacement boats check out the Seawind I and II, Alberg 30, Rawson 30, and Cape Dory. If you want a lighter boat, the older Pearsons, Allieds and Tartans are good boats. Problem with most is they have huge cockpits which could be a danger in storm conditions. Most any boat will get you to the Carribean if that is the extant of your wander lust, btw.

Aloha

Peter O.