Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-23-2008, 05:58 PM   #1
Ensign

This is an update from a previous quary for opinions on Tartens, vs. Catalinas, vs. D32.

I've concluded that since most of my sailing in the near future would be in some sort of triangle between Alaska, Hawai'i and Washington, I should exclude beefed up coastal cruisers. I've therefore started focusing on these 3 deep water cruisers: Dreadnought, Westsail or O'Day. Any opinions on these boats would be gratefully accepted. Any knowledge of pros or cons would be great.

Many of the boats I've been looking into seem to be on the east coast. This puts added cost into getting them to WA, so therefore less desirable. Does anyone have a realistic projection of cost in bringing a boat through the canal, etc? I'll have to factor all of this into purchase price.

1) The Dreadnought has only one size availability. They seem to be extremely hardy and roomy. There are 2 available for nearly the same price here in Washington and a few more scattered down the west coast. How much more satisfaction is acquired with size? I'm sticking below 40' for now as the price seems to go up exponentially, especially after 40. Does the comfort level go up exponentially after 30'? I should add that I would be sharing with my partner and a couple cats.

2) I've recently had someone mention O'Day as very comfortable and well laid out as far as cabin is concerned. How's maintenance? Is the engine reliable? How does she fair in tough weather?

3) I've had staunch support for Westsail. Availability is thin here in Washington except for when I broaden as far down as Mex. Pac. coast and include a range from 30' to 40'. I heard from someone else that a Westsail was one of the only boats to survive the "Perfect Storm". How is the layout? Again about maintenance and engine reliability?

-Shawshank Redemption

Current Fleet:

'90 Klepper Aerius I

'65 Klepper Aerius II

-Dreaming of (much) larger boats!
Kaptain von Klepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain von Klepper View Post
I've had staunch support for Westsail. Availability is thin here in Washington except for when I broaden as far down as Mex. Pac. coast and include a range from 30' to 40'. I heard from someone else that a Westsail was one of the only boats to survive the "Perfect Storm". How is the layout? Again about maintenance and engine reliability?
Hi,

If you haven't already done so check the owners association HERE

Old 05-23-2008, 11:22 PM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee
If you're willing to consider a boat as small as 30', I'd seriously take a look at a Rawson 30. We had the wonderful opportunity to own and sail on one for the last 18 months while refitting our larger boat . We just sold the Rawson 30 to a couple who will be using it to cruise around the Channel Islands; So Cal; Mexico...and beyond. The Rawson 30 is a lot boat for the money, IMHO. Great bluewater boat with a loyal following. Check out the owner group at Rawson Yahoo Group

Short rig, most are sloop or cutter rigged, very sturdy and capable.

Best of luck to you!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote