Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
Ensign

Well we have made the leap and purchased a Formosa 41 which is lying in the Sea of Cortez (Mexico). She needs quite a bit of cosmetic work, but is basically sound. We are from Europe and will be moving to the boat just after Christmass. We are in the process of getting rid of everything here (not that we have much anyway).

Any advice from Formosa owners (I know all about the decks and cabin top) and also anyone who has or is cruising the west of Mexico. The plan is to stay in the Sea of Cortez for a few months and get the boat seaworthy for the Pacific and then down to South America, Galapagos and Island hop to New Zealand. Advice on pilot books, charts, great places to go and anything else.

A great site and have got loads of info already.

Tony

Old 09-24-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Congratulations on your great acquisition - may you have many years of happy cruising.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 03:36 AM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Welcome! You will really love the Sea of Cortez, Baja and west coast of Mexico. Don't know if you've been to this site, but you should enjoy it: http://www.seaofcortez.org/

Have fun, take your time to enjoy Mexico before moving on.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #4
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Welcome! You will really love the Sea of Cortez, Baja and west coast of Mexico. Don't know if you've been to this site, but you should enjoy it: http://www.seaofcortez.org/

Have fun, take your time to enjoy Mexico before moving on.
Great site thank you for the reply

Tony
Old 09-25-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
Ensign

Congrats! the Formosa is one of my favorite boats. Their lines are incredible. There is quite a bit of info an them around the web if you look. A great place to start is here... WWW.force50.org even though it says 50/51's the people are great there with a true love for all size formosas. When you get a chance post some picks some place were we can see them.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Welcome aboard!

I came real close to being a Force 50 owner. We made several offers on one in particular, but the owners didn't want to deal and I believe they still own her. Great boats.

The Sea of Cortez is a wonderful place...often great fishing.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:15 PM   #7
Admiral

From most of the people we've met who have cruised the west coast of Mexico, it is difficult to break away.

When provisioning in Mexico, or anyplace where the food products are unfamiliar to you, do not buy more than one can/jar/box until you've tried it. I don't know if it's still popular, but when we were cruising in the Caribbean/Central & South America a group of boats would have "tasting" potlucks - everybody brought one or two locally obtained canned foods which everybody could taste. Having tried and enjoyed Venezuelan pat é, when we got to Ecuador I bought several varieties of the local pat é, and invited the rest of the boats in the anchorage to have sundowners with us while we all tried it . It was terrible! So bad, to my taste, that I snatched up the plate and dumped pat é and crackers overboard, to the dismay of at least two of our friends, who did like it!

We did enjoy our cruise across the S. Pacific. Although our crossings were more than 10 years ago, now, most of the good destinations are still good.

And for liveaboard cruising hints, my Cruiser's Dictionary is available on line, both as a downloadable e-book and as a Wiki. free.

Fair winds,

j

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:55 PM   #8
Lieutenant

Tony,

congratulations. Before we bought our first boat last year, Formosa 41 was our big favorite. Just two months ago in Malaysia we have met nice family that is circumnavigating on Down East 45', so perhaps you might learn a bit from their experience as this is same design (I think). They bought and rebuild the boat in Mexico as well. Check out their website http://www.thevoyageofbluesky.com.

Stay afloat

Petr

s/y Janna, https://www.klubko.net
klubko is offline   Reply With Quote