Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-17-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
Ensign

I am looking at a 1977 41'9" Formosa Cutter rig, but have not been able to find any owner's groups so maybe i can get some input here.

what is your thoughts of this boat for live aboard/cruising??

general question not based on condition of the boat or price.

thank you,

John

Old 12-17-2007, 10:40 PM   #2
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnar View Post
what is your thoughts of this boat for live aboard/cruising??
The William Garden designed Formosa 41 (Formosa previous name of Taiwan given by the Portuguese Sailors for its beauty) built in Taiwan.

In the 70/80s the Formosa Builder Yard produced a number of models of which the Formosa 41 was represented as a ketch and also as a Ketch with a staysail - ie a Ketch Cutter . Some with wooden masts.

A feature that these boats are well known for, is their beautiful wood work and the thickness of their hulls. Another, is that although the length overall is 41' 11'' the actual waterline length is only 33' 6" as a result of the very long bowsprit and the wine glass reversed transom. This WLL plus a displacement of some 14 tons + results in a slow boat in light airs. But relative easy to handle because the total sail area can be divided up amongst 4 sails.

Generally, to keep this boat up to a good standard will require continuous work - considering the extraordinary amount of brightwork. The other issue is the hull - although very thick, at the year of the build the resins and techniques used often presented with bad osmosis years later.

As a live aboard, properly fitted out with good quality appliances = a comfortable yacht.

I have crewed on one called "*bad word here* Power" - Hong Kong to the Philippines - spent a lot of my time varnishing - Andy the skipper supplied San Miguel.

Richard

Old 12-18-2007, 12:58 AM   #3
Ensign

Thank you Richard for the information,

I would like to ask if you do not mind in your option how would this boat compare to a 1985 Hans Christain Mao Ta Cutter?

John
Old 12-18-2007, 02:58 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnar View Post
Thank you Richard for the information,

I would like to ask if you do not mind in your option how would this boat compare to a 1985 Hans Christain Mao Ta Cutter?

John
HI John,

Understand that you are asking how a Formosa would compare with the Hans Christian that was covered at the beginning this month.

1. The Hans Christian for its age and price appeared to be too good to be true.

2. No idea which particular Formosa we are referring to, other than the year and model.

Even if these boats were of identical length, displacement, same engine, age, rig, original cost etc... because, they are both now in the used category and may have lived totally different lives. Not able therefore to compare today - so many factors.

John, As we previously suggested, get down on to the marinas - walk the slips - talk to owners - talk to skippers - keep away from the brokers until you really really find something that you like - and before you part with a penny come back to Cruiserlog, where we are bound to find members who can assist with asking the questions that count.

Good hunting.

Richard
Old 12-18-2007, 03:00 AM   #5
Commander

John, go to www.force50.org, which is a group dedicated to this type of yacht. If I recall, there are also some there who own Formosa 41's. I've sailed the larger 50 footers (we own one) as well as a smaller Hans Christian. Both are heavy displacement boats, both have a lot of wood. I love Hans Christians (gorgeous boats) and had a great time sailing my friend's 34, but it was my first experience trying to go upwind to a mark in a full-keeled, heavy boat. I wouldn't buy either for merely inshore cruising because they're basically boats that love to be off the wind. Inland, you go where you have to go, and that may necessitate engine use if you can't point high enough to round the mark and keep in the channel--they both draw quite a bit, making them great at sea, not so great if you've got to worry about shoals.

That said, I don't mind all that varnishing because I love the look of wood. If you hate the work, then you'd be better off with something that doesn't have all that brightwork. The wonderful thing about the boating market is that there's something for everyone.

Normandie

PS, I know a number of Hudsons--similar in design to the Formosas, different builder--and none of these had blistering or hull issues. Many of them had other problems, mostly due to age, some to neglect, but they seem to be sound in their hulls. Don't buy one with teak decks, though, because I don't know of a single old teak deck that didn't have leak problems, which are nasty to fix. (Unless you're willing to redo the decks, which we had to do.)
Old 12-18-2007, 12:10 PM   #6
Ensign

Thank you SeaVenture for the information.

I have been researching Heavy displacement boats and love the design of both the Formosa and the Hans but was hoping to compare the workmenship of the builders. Yes i will look into the Hudson. Myself I do not care for all the topside wood, yes it looks very nice but to me it is just alot of work. But this is one of them things I figured i had to over look to get the type of boat i want.

Thank you Richard,

I did not really mean that same boat (Hans) i only listed the year/size and style for a point to compare the workmenship,live ability handling at sea. General question.

The Formosa I found here local hanging out at the local dock, she looks nice but has some top side damage, it is a private seller no Broker.

To me both the Hans Christain and the Formosa are well made boats, full-keeled, displacement boats, alot of the same in the design aside from the Head/Shower (im sure alot of others also) but the first thing i seen differant in degign was the head/shower.

I am not wild about the longer bowsprit of the Formosa, this is why i ask to compare to the smaller 36' Hans.

I guess i did not make it clear i was not asking to compare the condition of the boats but just in general the workmenship and comfort. If the spects.of the boat are needed I have them at home but i did not think they would be needed for a general conversation.

Well best wishes for the Holiday's

John
Old 12-18-2007, 03:23 PM   #7
Commander

I feel like a traitor to Sea Venture, but I do think the yard that built the Hans Christians may have an edge in terms of quality over both the Formosa and the Hudson. As for a comfortable liveaboard, any of them would be good.

You mention bowsprits. Remember, if you're in a marina, you will be charged for overall length. We have a fifty foot boat and a six-foot bowsprit. Guess where they put us whenever we use a marina? In a sixty-foot slip. That is very hard on the pocketbook.

The 34 was one of the most beautiful boats I've sailed, though too small for us tall folk (My husband is 6'3" and I'm 5'10"). I've sailed on a larger, I think it was a 47 foot Hans Christian, as a guest and did a lot of ooohing and ahhing over it. When we were boat shopping, the Hans Christians were out of our price range for the size we needed at the time--too many folk living with us. Now that we're just the two of us, fifty feet is really comfortable if not extravagant. It does mean that our friends on a Tayana 37 invite us for dinner on our boat.

Hope you find what you're looking for. Keep us posted.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:59 AM   #8
Lieutenant

Don't know what your price range is or how much work you're willing to put into a boat, but there is a well found Formosa 41 in the yard I'm in that would need a little wood work (don't they all) but the boat is sound and the decks don't leak You could get it for what I consider a steal. If you are interested pm me and I'll get you the phone number of the fellow that owns it.

seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaVenture View Post
Hope you find what you're looking for. Keep us posted.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #9

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

I was just on a 50+ foot Formosa and it was really lovely. And, for those of you who saw the movie Captain Ron--it was a flush deck ketch that looked (outside) JUST LIKE the boat used in the movie! Really awesome deck plan though the aft cockpit was a bit exposed for my taste.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote