Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

I vote for a "FREE anchorages" sticky... there aren't many left and the few there are can be hard to find. ... I thought about just adding info to the Wiki and pushing for others to do the same but I think a lot of this is very subjective information not appropriate for a wiki....

As I continue south I am please to say that New Bedford, MA 41, 36, 789N 70.54.256W, general anchorage 110.140 US Coast Pilot 2 seems to be a good holding ground. There's actually two anchorages here, one on the east side of the bay and the other on the west side, both are a bit exposed to a south easterly but otherwise it's a pretty good spot, and if it does get ugly there's the inner harbor just a few tenths of a mile to the north with their massive hurricane barrier.... There's a public dock a short row away where you can tie/lock up and there's no time limit posted. Right next to the public dock and ramp there's a restaurant bar, a few blocks away are basic convenience stores and most importantly a package store.... the only down side is that at dawn and dusk there is quite a bit of traffic in the nearby marked channel as the trawlers come in and out which causes a bit of rolling... but otherwise a good spot.

I was last in Hull, MA, 42.17.463N 70.53.375W. I was actually just outside the charted general anchorage B but I was there for almost 2 months and no one minded. there's a public dock with a posted half hour limit but I left the dinghy tied up over night a couple times and no one (official) bothered it. I did have some kids let it loose once (so i assume) so I recommend locking your dinghy up since it is a busy public dock. there's water key side that no one minds if you use and a local pub just up the street Steve's Place, great local spot. There's a Tedeschi's convenient store and a liquore store on the same corner... only draw back is that it's about a mile and half walk to the nearest small grocery and there is no major shopping nearby... if you get a local bus schedule however it runs hourly and there is also a local commuter ferry that will take you into Boston several times on weekdays.

I've had Cape Henlopen in the Deleware recommended to me as a free anchorage that is fairly remote.... As I continue south I'll continue to post what I find... I urge others (particularly those who know of good anchorages south of me on the east coast )to add their knowledge.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Quote:
I vote for a "FREE anchorages" sticky
It is best to add these to the individual pages on the Cruising Wiki. i.e. Southhampton (Wiki page) - add "Free anchorages".

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Admiral

alright, took out the "I"s out and added my bits to the wiki I'll continue to do so and urge others to do so also...

again, especially if you know of any good anchorages south of the Chesapeake on the East Coast

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
Old 09-03-2009, 12:50 PM   #4
Lieutenant

Skipper Bob and Claiborne Young are the best sources for ICW info, including anchorages. Both have published books, and both have websites, skipperbob.net and cruisersnet.net.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:32 PM   #5

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by atavist View Post
alright, took out the "I"s out and added my bits to the wiki I'll continue to do so and urge others to do so also...
Thanks for your contributions to the Wiki!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:34 AM   #6
Rear Admiral

Home Port: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Coyote

OK, this got me looking at the Wiki and thinking about what I can contribute. I put in a few things about San Diego, and might edit Santa Cruz when I run out of ideas. I see that Mexico has been left out of the west coast of North America, as has Canada. I can see not wasting bits on Canada, but Mexico is my favorite place.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Thanks for contributing to the Cruising Wiki.

I'll look into and "fix" the other points later today.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
Admiral

Recomend you skip Little Neck Bay, NY, 40.46.919N 73.45.762W. While the anchoring is free and it's close to the north entrance of the East River, to make for a convenient stop over before crossing through, there is only one private dock in the area. When asking if we could tie up the dinghy for an hour or so to go to the grocery we were turned away. When attempting to drop of my girlfriend to go to the store she was turned away with much aggression and profanity. The public boat ramp near by where we were directed to drop her off is rocky and a dangerous place to disembark a dinghy.

Looks like we're skipping the grocery run

Tags
anchor