Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-20-2006, 10:33 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Fresh Water Coolant Caps

I have 2 18 hp Volvo Sail Drives - Some work was done on one engine at River Bend Marina in Ft. Lauderdale (Avoid if possible) in which the exhaust manifold was replaced and a new "radiator" cap installed. I have continued over heating on that engine (a prior issue) but the last time I had coolant in the bilge. The Original cap reads "75 kph" - the replacement cap reads (a US cap) "6.0". Does anyone know for sure, what pressure is "75 kph" in US terms?

I am thinking that the 6.0 cap may release at too low a pressure.

Thanks,

Bill

San Diego

Old 02-20-2006, 12:32 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi there....75 kilopascals is equivalent to 10.8 pounds per square inch. You probably need a 10lb cap. Best wishes. David

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:28 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

Bill,

In my opinion...

Your problem has more to do with the the Color of your Engine than the Cap.

According to an SSCA survey published in the January '06 edition of Cruising World Magazine - Volvo diesels suffer 40% more breakdowns than Yanmars.

I've owned both and I'll never buy another Green Engine.

Good Luck... you're gonna need it. Luck and a Mechanic in every port.

Cheers,

Kirk

PS - you mention Engines (plural). Try switching caps and see if the problem transfers to the other engine. I'd do that before sending Volvo another hundred bucks for another coolant cap.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:35 AM   #4
Ensign

Ok - thanks to all. I have come to the same conclusion on all counts. I have switched engine caps, but yet to try while waiting for my wife to recover from knee replacement.

And, yes, nothing thrills me less than Volvo engines. However they came with the boat! And actually, they seem to run very well - the issue I think is not the breakdowns, but the cost. A replacement cap is listed at over $50.00.

Your comments are much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Bill
Old 02-21-2006, 11:28 AM   #5
tel
Lieutenant

Bill...in the land of Oz, one would not ordinarily go to Volvo for a "genuine" coolant cap. Unless they have a one-off arrangement, which I doubt, you can buy caps with the required psi at any after-market car parts store. They're cheap, and would be just as good as a green one. By the way, I have a friend who has a little (around 15hp) Volvo in his yacht. Out here the model is referred to as "the green death". It has regular maintenance, and has never missed a beat in years.

Cheers......Tel.