Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-22-2006, 04:27 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Galley stores

I have been asked to crew as cook on a 2 month ocean going voyage. I have no idea of what to stock for a crew of 6, we will have no or minimun opportunity to re stock fruit and veg, milk, eggs etc as the places we will be passing are very expensive and we are trying to get by as economically as possible. Obviously I would be making alot of fish, rice and pasta dishes but I cannot find any help on any websites pertaining to nutritious meals for such a long voyage. Any ideas, I am a great cook on land but that is a whole other kettle of fish?

Old 04-22-2006, 11:55 AM   #2
Lieutenant

My friends Al and Beth Liggett on the yacht SUNFLOWER have some good advice at

http://www.setsail.com/s_logs/liggett/sunflower42.html

Terry

Old 04-22-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

Suggest first step is asking the crew what they like - no sense buying meat if all are vegetarians etc.

Then it's easiest to plan a 2 week menu of lunches and evening meals - and buy to fit. Then repeat that menu x numbers of times to fill your voyage period. We also back up with standard high carb stuff like pasta / rice which with minimal additions can make a filling meal - and have ingredients to make own bread when needed.

I'd suggest you stock up before you go only on those things you know will store well without a fridge, and are possibly more expensive or unlikely to be available at later ports of call.

There are few places where you sail for 2 months without hitting land (unless you are really slow) so to keep costs down would suggest buying lots of local veggies and meat / fish (whatever they have available in season at the places you visit) - and avoiding canned products.

I believe in todays world there is no reason why you can't eat as well on board as you could at home - but the trick with fresh stuff is to buy what's locally available - and not insist on trying to source what's not.

Enjoy!

Cheers

JOHN
Old 04-22-2006, 06:06 PM   #4
Admiral

It would help to know where you will be sailing from, and where you are headed.

Beth's information on Sunflower was pretty good. Some things that worked for me:

Ramen noodles - easy to prepare no matter how rough the weather. Add a little meat (packages of tuna, chicken, or leftovers), onion, garlic, other vegs., and it's a nice easy, filling meal.

Cabbages and carrots keep very well, with a little vinegar and mayonnaise you have a nice salad. Beans for sprouting.

Lentils for lentil stew ("menestras" in S. America)

Powdered whole milk is very economical and an easy way to carry milk.

Usually not available in the US except for Chinese groceries or on line, but pretty much available everyplace else.

You need to have some idea of people's likes, etc. I went through almost 20 pounds of onions and 7 dozen eggs in 3 weeks, 3 people, but I baked a lot of sweet breads (banana bread, orange cranberry, etc.).

More in my Cruising Dictionary: you can get a free download from: http://www.cruisingconnections.co.za/ebooks.htm

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote