Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
Ensign

I plan to paint or apply new gel coat to my boat this summer. I have painted using two part paint before with mixed results, I've never tried to shoot gel coat. My boat has enough bad spots I can't just do spot gel coat repairs. I am leaning toward paint at this time, probally Awlgrip. Any other types of paints I should consider? From what I have read gel coat shoots on like paint? The boat is original gelcoat right now so I'm pretty open to suggestions... Thanks!

Waywardsuun

Old 03-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsuun View Post

I plan to paint or apply new gel coat to my boat this summer. I have painted using two part paint before with mixed results, I've never tried to shoot gel coat. My boat has enough bad spots I can't just do spot gel coat repairs. I am leaning toward paint at this time, probally Awlgrip. Any other types of paints I should consider? From what I have read gel coat shoots on like paint? The boat is original gelcoat right now so I'm pretty open to suggestions... Thanks!

Waywardsuun
While we were rebuilding our boat, for more than two years, watched a professional painter fellow in the boatyard do boat after boat after boat with new paint. One boat, a huge 60 foot sport fisher, had major repairs and add-ons and he did use gel coat because of all that work. However, in the end, after the gel coat, he painted even that boat. So, I don't know all the reasoning (having a wood boat...), but it seems that paint is probably the way to go.

Two-part linear polyurethane (LP) paints give the most durable protection. Here in So. Cal, the Proline brand is readily available and used. Interlux is available and a good brand as well.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg
Vessel Name: Aquaria

applying gel coat is mostly done to repair spots. That means sanding down the spot all the way to the bare fibre glass and then applying the new gel coat. This is quite a time consuming job and at the end the colour doesn't mach with the rest Â*.Â*

This is something that can't be done by yourself to the entire boat and if a shipyard offers such a technique, it must be much more expensive than sanding down the old gel coat, applying filler to the spots, sanding them down and applying a paint coat like mentioned: a two component system, that is sun resistant and maintenance free for the next years (not even polishing is needed!) And if you drop a shakle, you can repair the dent yourself easily.

The general question arises: Why do fibreglass boats have a gel coat surface anyway? Even under the waterline! There the gel coat goes anyway as soon as shipyards apply a professional osmosis protection!

So, initially the gel coat is the first layer and therefore very easy, fast and cheap to apply with splendid results. Â*But ist does not work as well the other way around: Applying it as the last layer does not at all Â*end with the same result and is much harder to apply.

Painting (even two component systems) is much easier.

Uwe

SY Aquaria

More on my Centurion 32:
https://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:17 PM   #4
Ensign

I have used lots of paint including Awlgrip but the paint I like the best is Devoe 379. It is easy to spray and does not run easily. It can be sanded and buffed out if needed and will last 10 to 12 years. You can't go wrong with Devoe.

Sailorman14
Old 04-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
Ensign

The Shearwater is painted with Brightsides - a 1-part that goes on easy, looks OK, but has poor adhesion between the primer and finish coat and needs repainting after 2 years. I don't recommend it.

1993 Gemini Hull 379

Palm Beach Florida
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:44 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

I second the recommendation for Devoe 379, it's essentially the same as the Altex 379. It's a two pack polyurethane, ideal as a top coat, easy to get on, good coverage and it looks fine even brushed on. Under it I'd use a two pack epoxy system like the Altex 2000. I wouldn't recommend using any single part paint on any part of any boat of any kind, anywhere, ever.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
Ensign

Paint. I've used Interlux Brightside with good luck (as opposed to another user listed above). We sanded and prepped the boat very well and had good conditions, so possibly that is why our experience was different. The two part paints are of course stronger (Interlux Perfection, Awegrip, etc.).
Old 05-19-2011, 01:08 AM   #8
Ensign

Send a message via AIM to karenmmc

Has anyone used PPG Concept (a 2 part acrylic urethane) topside? We have several areas that we had gelcoat cracks. We used a Dremel tool to remove the cracked gelcoat. Then used an epoxy filler. Everything is nicely sanded and ready to paint now.

We happen to have several different colors of white PPG Concept paint left over from painting some airplanes. We are very familiar with this paint (used on aluminum!) and know that it's extremely durable in that application.

We also know that the color match won't be exact, but we can mask off and paint whole areas that will make it look OK. (we will also probably add some "flattening agent" to help it match the boat!)

Question is, has anyone used this product on fiberglass with success?
Old 05-19-2011, 03:30 AM   #9
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenmmc View Post

Has anyone used PPG Concept (a 2 part acrylic urethane) topside? We have several areas that we had gelcoat cracks. We used a Dremel tool to remove the cracked gelcoat. Then used an epoxy filler. Everything is nicely sanded and ready to paint now.

We happen to have several different colors of white PPG Concept paint left over from painting some airplanes. We are very familiar with this paint (used on aluminum!) and know that it's extremely durable in that application.

We also know that the color match won't be exact, but we can mask off and paint whole areas that will make it look OK. (we will also probably add some "flattening agent" to help it match the boat!)

Gooday Karen. I read much diabolic conflicting information in the replys to your very valid question. Be very careful of much of the information given. If you wish to check-out my 'profile' you may care for me to answer your questions. Polyester gel-coat is a very poor way to go & NOT easy to paint to a high quality finish. Polyester gel-coat is used in a mold & fiberglass is layed-up onto it; Ployester flow-coat is what is used to paint the outside surface of a finished fibreglas reinforced plastic laminate product. PPG is without doubt one of the worlds leading companies is all their fields of manufacture. There are a few 'little' tricks to get the best results possible. Yes I have sprayed a few yachts, aircraft & cars over a couple of years as it was part of my business activies. As the saying goes - do-drop-in' if I can be of any asistance. Capt-dinghy will soon be having the very same situation to tackle, if you read any of his 'posts'. Ciao for now, james aka 'jj-geri-hat-trick'
Old 05-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #10
Lieutenant

Mr. Raven Sir,

You simply can't go with a leading statement that there are a "few little tricks" and then just leave me hanging by not telling me!!!

Please! Do tell!!!

Ottawa, Canada
KevinBarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #11
Lieutenant

Home Port: Georgetown
Vessel Name: Surprise

Our plan is not the cheapest - we will be prepping the boat (assuming that we will own it soon) and taking it to a shop to have it properly done with a 2 part paint.

I would probably have a different answer if SilverRaven lived nearby and I could have him watch my progress in person - or if he recommended someone of his caliber regarding such matters. I also may have a different answer 10-15 years hence if another coating is required and I am in a position to make that decision. But today, it will be part of our acquisition cost.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:49 AM   #12
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenmmc View Post

Gooday Karen. IMHO - I would check with your PPG supplier to see if that 'aircraft' type has proper adhesion to 'fiberglas', extra high abrasion resistance (as in salt-water) over time. The 'acrylic urethane' should have a very high rating of 'U-V' stability as the additional refection off the water is very intense. You're "very familiar with this paint" so you'll know to 1/ mix thoroughly & let sit for a time while covered (to keep out any moisture in the air) in order to let the hardener start its action with the paint, remix & add thinner (if required) just before spraying, 2/ check with the PPG - paint tech - to make sure all the

different batches are compatitable & not to old. All 'urethanes' (both the paint side & the hardener) tend to absorb moisture - through the containers - over time, especially the hardener but you will know if it does because it will have gone hard in the tin. I personally don't use a 'tack-cloth' as they have - oil of sorts - in them & I feel they interfere with the adhesion of any paint systems. You already know - not to spray in a draft (or as little as possible) as that tends to make the paint - surface dry - to fast & promotes 'orange-peel'. Most of the time - I wait for 1/2 hr in 24 to 30* C, with less than 40% humidity (very hard to do here in the tropical North of Australia) & then apply a 'fog-coat' (consisting of 40 to 60% thinners added to the 'urethane') very lightly, from a meter (3') away from the job & never any closer - which I do quite quickly (as in the spray-gun is travelling quickly & smoothly c/w the nozzle always at 90* to the job. After about 1/2 hr or so - the whole job will 'gloss-up' & look just like 'glass' (no pun intended). A tad tricky but when it 'glosses' it's just like magic & very rewarding. End result - job looks & is supurb times 100%. Suggest you do a trial & do it carefully. Another 1/2 later I take all the masking paper & tape off carefully - reverse peeling it - so as not to get any 'whiskers' of paint 'candying' on to the rest of the job. Due to our temp, humidity & intense sun - I neveer paint in the sunshine nor let the job get to much to soon after painting. All said IMHO !!!

Hope this is of some little assistance.

I do apologise to everyone for such a long-winded rambling diatribe however I don't know how to summarise 50 years of painting advise into less words. SORRY y'all.

JeanneP - this is a prime example of why I think some of these discussions should take place - off-board & not in these open forums. IMHO Also I'm now feeling - very vunerable - & quite embarrassed. Again my humble apologies to everybody. Ciao, james
Old 05-20-2011, 04:00 AM   #13
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBarr View Post

Mr. Raven Sir,

You simply can't go with a leading statement that there are a "few little tricks" and then just leave me hanging by not telling me!!!

Please! Do tell!!!
Kevin, I don't know anybody by that name !! Further more - "You simply can't" etc etc. Seems to me you've missed something here, as in - I just did !! - exactly that !!

Oh & while we're at it. Would you please confine your comments, questions & observations in these 'forums' to relevant subjects. The 'boat' to 'Titan' is as relevant as dog do-do, & assists no one in furthering their knowledge & ability to more safely 'Cruise & Sail' the world (earth). IMHO & I thank-you, jj
Old 05-20-2011, 04:21 AM   #14
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsuun View Post

Waywardsuun

Gooday bloke. What size 'Hans Christian' do you have? There a 'fab' yacht. Very sea-worthy !!I'm pleased you - ask before doing - it may well save you some grief & cost. I've said - far to much - in here - for my liking. If you wish to read my 'profile' & check-out my comments to Karen - feel free to get back to me. All comments are given on a IMHO basis & although professional are not financially driven in any way. Recommend you do not use 'gel-coat' as it's the wrong material & in the worng application. Read what 'Uwe' SY Aquaria, cause he's got it right. Brenda's comments are very worthy of much attention as well. By the by - 'gel-coat' does not 'shoot-on' like paint no matter how good you are. Even 'flow-coat' when used - the best it can be - is still just a filler-undercoat to a top grade 'urethane'. Oh & it (gel-coat) stays sticky forever on the surface exposed to the air. Ciao, 'jj-geri-hat-trick'
Old 05-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #15
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Raven View Post

Kevin, I don't know anybody by that name !! Further more - "You simply can't" etc etc. Seems to me you've missed something here, as in - I just did !! - exactly that !!

Oh & while we're at it. Would you please confine your comments, questions & observations in these 'forums' to relevant subjects. The 'boat' to 'Titan' is as relevant as dog do-do, & assists no one in furthering their knowledge & ability to more safely 'Cruise & Sail' the world (earth). IMHO & I thank-you, jj
Very sorry. I posted my request before you posted your "tricks". I had thought all my posts where on relevant subjects. I am honestly not sure what you are referring to...? Please excuse me if I have somehow offered offence.

Ottawa, Canada
KevinBarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:36 PM   #16
Ensign

I think paint makes more sense. We used Brightsides, and it is fine and has held up for about three years. If I were to do it again I would use a two part Linear Polyurathane (like the Interlux Perfection). I've painted both brightside and perfection onto boats before and both level when rolled and brushed as well as anything I have ever seen sprayed. Make sure that you properly thin your paint with the right thinner (333 for brightsides) (I've added too little thinner once with time consuming results).
Old 06-30-2011, 12:55 AM   #17
Lieutenant

Home Port: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Sooke
Send a message via MSN to BJSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Silver Lining View Post

I think paint makes more sense. We used Brightsides, and it is fine and has held up for about three years. If I were to do it again I would use a two part Linear Polyurathane (like the Interlux Perfection). I've painted both brightside and perfection onto boats before and both level when rolled and brushed as well as anything I have ever seen sprayed. Make sure that you properly thin your paint with the right thinner (333 for brightsides) (I've added too little thinner once with time consuming results).
I use Brightsides also and for my use it is perfect. I had a LPU sprayed on coating years ago and after a few local canoe dings it looked terrible when repaired. Roll on and brush tipped makes it very smooth.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #18
Commander

Home Port: Edinburgh
Send a message via Yahoo to chiroeurope Send a message via Skype™ to chiroeurope

May I ask what kind of brushes you are using? these days you have everything from natural hair brushes (which very widely in the quality you get), synthetics, and sponge brushes (which depending on the foam used to form them can give a finer finish then even a high grade natural hair brush). All the work I have done on boats over the years has been paint or epoxy of one kind or another. Most two part paints are either epoxies with a really long working time or a very close relative polymer. They work great from what I have seen in the Great Lakes and on the boats here in the Fife. Also epoxy with micro copper embedded also works great up here (there are a few boats who have had the same coat for over 4 yrs and only needed to wash down and buff to get it looking great and still intact [these are not "copper coat" boats, which is a trade name for a specific formula of epoxy to copper ratio]).

I am still learning though as all my work on painting boats has been as a monkey with a brush or roller. Good luck and have fun as lot's of information out there and most of it suspect (luckily here folks are up front and it helps a lot).

Michael
Old 07-01-2011, 10:06 AM   #19
Commander

Send a message via MSN to Qldcruiser

Having done this to my 40'er only two years ago.

Rolling and tipping is a great method but extremely time consuming and weather dependent.

I CANNOT recommend Altex products.

I can recommend International Perfection.

Paint is a far more effective procedure than Gelcoat.

Get all the advice you can find.

Then practice , practice , practice.

Then fight the fear and do it. The results will justify the lead up.

Take plenty of time and do not give yourself a time schedule.

I hope that helps and if you look for my other posts you will see photos of Blue Lady after all our work.

Cheers

Rob & Annette

S/V Blue Lady
Old 11-29-2011, 07:37 AM   #20
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qldcruiser View Post

Having done this to my 40'er only two years ago.

olling and tipping is a g.reat metRhod but extremely time consuming and weather dependent

I CANNOT recommend Altex products

I can recommend International Perfection.

Paint is a far more effective procedure than Gelcoat.

Get all the advice you can find.

Then practice , practice , practice.

Then fight the fear and do it. The results will justify the lead up.

Take plenty of time and do not give yourself a time schedule.

I hope that helps and if you look for my other posts you will see photos of Blue Lady after all our work.

Cheers

Rob & Annette

S/V Blue Lady
Gidday Rob & Annette

Read with alarm on your comment re Altex paint.

This is the second bad comment on Altex paint i have heard lately. Mainly to do with loss of gloss and durability within 18 months.

I was just about to embark on spraying the topsides with Altex #3, #2, & then Altex E-line 379. Its a lot of work to have a poor result 18 months down the track.

This came from a pro painter. He said it was harder to spray than Interlux 2 pack, as well.

Could you please elaborate on you experience?

PM me if you don't want it on the web.

Cheers,

Roly

Tags
gel coat, paint