Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
Ensign

Hi all (forgive me for my imperfect English; I'm Italian !! )

I'm looking to buy a boat to make ocean passages and live aboard. Now I'm very indecisive between two boats: an Hans Christian 43 (telstar keel) and a Liberty 458 (also known like Delta 46). The Liberty has the same hull of the Kelly Peterson 46 designed by Doug Peterson and I know the the sailors really like it (the Kelly Peterson).

If someone knows these two boats I'd like know what he thinks about them.

Thank you to all

Old 10-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Just as a matter of interest, friends are selling a Peterson - http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/ind...howtopic=11931 - she is beautiful.

Good luck with your purchase, whatever you decide on.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:04 AM   #3

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Oh, you're looking at very different boats, eh? What fun, though. I like the style of the HC and I know a fellow who has cruised extensively on one similar but his had a traditional keel. I'd take either boat you're considering, actually and probably lean towards the Liberty.

It would come down to price and condition of engine, sails, and systems. Which has a better sail inventory/condition of sails, rigging (running and standing) as well as which has better maintenance records, new systems, pumps, genset, all the extras that can really add up? In general, many cruising boats on the market have aged electronics that aren't worth a lot, but if they're in good shape they can also play a big role in your decision. How do these other things compare?

Welcome to CL!

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #4
Commander

Ciao, Bellubentu. Da dove viene in Italia? (Please pardon my Italian. It's been far, far too many years since I lived there.)

I've several friends who sail Hans Christians with the traditional keel and one that is the Christina model. Gorgeous boats all. I have heard nothing but pride of ownership from any of these.

So, I agree with Brenda. The initial cost can be misleading if you're comparing apples to oranges. If all things are equal in terms of systems quality and overall condition (not likely, but one could wish), then it will depend on which boat makes you want to turn back as you dinghy ashore and sigh with pleasure. Right, Brenda?

Blessings,

Normandie
Old 10-11-2010, 02:25 AM   #5

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

The right boat does usually "jump" right out at you, that's for sure!

In our case, the boat was in horrible condition requiring rebuild but I knew she was the right one before we ever got on a plane and flew across the country to see her--I'd been sent a .pdf of her lines, her rigging plan, and her interior. She was just the right cruising boat with just the right everything that we wanted. Of course, it did take a couple years rebuild to get her back to the proper state of affairs!

I mention engine/systems etc because that is so important. If you're looking at aged systems that haven't been well maintained you might be very disappointed with your choice. Else, you need to build in the cost of replacing things. Don't forget tanks (water, fuel, holding) and their age and condition as well. It all adds up.

Nice to hear from you Normandy!

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
Ensign

Thanks to all. Ciao SeaVenture, happy to know that you lived in Italy. I'm from Sardinia Island, a nice place !

Tell me: are your friends happy with their Hans Christian ? No problems with the teck deck ? Many people seem to worry about this. What they think about ?