Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Providence
Red face Hello, We are making a small web series about our first sailing trip.

Hello, I am new to the forums (and to sailing) and I would like to introduce to you the first episode of a small webseires we are putting together.

Aleph Tav, The First Voyage - Tape one - YouTube

My father had to sail his newly purchased boat from MD up to RI before hurricane sandy.
Because of the urgent circumstances, his only option was to recruit 5 young teenagers who never sailed before, drive down to MD and sail the boat back ASAP.
None of us had any idea what we where in for.

I say the boat was newly "purchased", but the boat itself is not new, and many things where broken and needed reparing.
Because of this, we experienced all sorts of dangerous adventures like:
  • -Sailing into canals with no motor power
  • -Engine parts blowing up
  • -bailing waist deep water
  • -and many other things mostly caused by teenage stupidity.
Needless to say, It was an unforgettable experience, and I personally came along and filmed the whole trip.
Each day is one episode, roughly 5-7 mins long.

I think "Old Salts" would love to see us go through these experiences,
And new sailors can take some encouragement from watching these videos.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
If anyone is interested, I will continue to post the episodes here on the forum.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Hi there and welcome.

I am sure most of our members will follow your video posts. However, I should warn you after seeing the first instalment, that you will probably not elicit the positive comments that you may imagine. Our members are largely a helpful mob and, as such, criticisms will be offered in a spirit of helpfulness

However I imagine both old and new sailors will already be cringing as this site is dedicated to sailing safely and responsibly in a well prepared boat under the supervision of a competent skipper and already, questions exist regarding preparedness and competence.

By posting here you will be opening yourselves to the scrutiny of people who have sailed extensively, who are learning the ropes before setting off on even an inshore day jaunt, others who have witnessed disaster, and some who through poor preparation and lack of skills, or through unexpected events will have experienced disaster first hand.

I wish you well and look forward to subsequent instalments.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Providence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
Hi there and welcome.

I am sure most of our members will follow your video posts. However, I should warn you after seeing the first instalment, that you will probably not elicit the positive comments that you may imagine. Our members are largely a helpful mob and, as such, criticisms will be offered in a spirit of helpfulness

However I imagine both old and new sailors will already be cringing as this site is dedicated to sailing safely and responsibly in a well prepared boat under the supervision of a competent skipper and already, questions exist regarding preparedness and competence.

By posting here you will be opening yourselves to the scrutiny of people who have sailed extensively, who are learning the ropes before setting off on even an inshore day jaunt, others who have witnessed disaster, and some who through poor preparation and lack of skills, or through unexpected events will have experienced disaster first hand.

I wish you well and look forward to subsequent instalments.
Thank you for reading!
I am completely aware of the "cringe worthy" videos and criticism sailors may have, witch is why I am making it a point of interest in the videos, and I welcome anyone to speak their mind.

I hope New and Experiences sailors will share their "two cents", I'm sure there where probably some grave mistakes we made and had no clue, so I hope someone can point those out.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
Ensign

Home Port: Wells

I would also use spell check, or at least proof read.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:06 AM   #5
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Would that make him a better videographer?

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
Ensign

Home Port: Wells

No but it is the small things that add up, and it was a friendly tip. The need to concentrate on minor details will hopefully make him a better videographer.It is similar to submitting a resume with incorrect grammer, he may be well suited for the job, but small details eventually catch up.