Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 05-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #1
Ensign

Home Port: Swindon
Unhappy Hot Water

I own a 34ft mono hull and have been suffering cold showers even when not at sea.
Fortunately she is berthed in Florida, no big deal you may think. But it does get cold in the winter months. My preference is to be a 'warm whimp.'
I would like to fit a water heater in the pressure water system somewhere.
I tend to favour what I think is called 'Point of Delivery' hot water. I do have shore power but am informed that the 120 volt supply would have to be increased to 230volts. My questions are,
Is there a way to increase the voltage by using some form of transformer?
Can anyone suggest an alternative water heating system.
I have been reading the forum for some time and know there are some very knowledgable sailors out there.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:57 PM   #2
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

There is nothing so comforting as a hot shower. I have a heat transfer system which provides loads of hot water as long as I run the engine. It takes about 20 minutes to get a big dose of hot, while cooling the plates in the refrigerator/freezer. There are 110volt systems which deliver hot water such as these from Home Depot. (Point of Use Water Heaters and Recirculating PumpsĀ*at The Home Depot)
I can only refer to related anecdotes on these, but it would seem that they are designed for home rather than boat use and away from the marina they are on virtually no use at all. I have heard good reports about these (Portable 4wd Hot Water Systems | Camping Showers | Glind - Glind Hot Water Heat Exchanger Camping Showers for 4WD and Marine) and the science seems to be quite compelling.
Of course there is always the old solar shower (Coleman 5-Gallon Shower Camp - Walmart.com) which work well. I used one for over five years and always had a good hot shower at the end of each day, and the gas operated shower (use on deck only) from Coleman (Coleman Hot Water On Demand System-Hot Coleman - Star Marine Depot).

It is probably a bit much to expect a good and powerful enough generator system to be installed on a 34'er, so my preference would be either the tried and true heat transfer system such as I have, or buy a small domestic system which incorporates a tank and can take up as little as 2 cubic feet. However, once again, these are okay in the marina but a bit bloody useless when away from mains power.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:32 PM   #3
Ensign

Home Port: Swindon
Default Hot Water

Thanks Auzzee for your very prompt and informative reply, I shall certainly be looking into your heat exchanger suggestion. I tried Home Depot and it was they that said I needed 230 volts for the point of supply system. Your idea of a small tank system is another serious consideration. Once again I appreciate your thoughts.
Regards Popsy.
Old 05-15-2015, 01:16 AM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

I also would favor the heat exchanger systems. You can run a heating element to tank of water from a solar panel or wind turbine as well -- it used to be common to use as a "dump" load for solar panels after the batteries are fully charged.

Finally, there is no reason for you to not have a hot shower in a low tech way (as we do it) with a solar show bag (ours is 4.5 gallon) that you can leave on deck (hanging) and bring a hose down into the shower. It works well and we can (both my husband and I) get a hot shower from one bag. If too cold or overcast, we can heat a quick kettle of water and combine it with cold water in the bag for instant hot water. I didn't think this would work well for me long term, but I've been fine with it.

If you have shore power -- why not shower at the marina itself? Where we are presently, we are on shore power and tend to shower at the marina.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 05:29 PM   #5
Ensign

Home Port: LongBeach, California
Vessel Name: Patricia A

I know nothing about this , it seems to be for a sink .Eemax SP2412 Single Point Electric Tankless Water Heater
These would probably be better .
http://www.defender.com/category.jsp...c51&id=2234308
Old 05-19-2015, 12:51 AM   #6
CRUISING

Home Port: Coos Bay Oergon
Vessel Name: S/V - R3

we've installed an Eco Temp L5 on demand system.. ya I know its propane and its not vented but in our head i've got ports side and rear.. I love it as well as the wife and thats all that matters. dont get caught with it on your boat .. the US market dosent say its UL rated for marine.. But I know of a few other cruisers using them.. and have built venting for them
Old 05-19-2015, 03:44 AM   #7
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

The Eco Temp looks like a very good unit. The problem is, as you have already alluded, one of ventilation. Cross ventilation when using a heavier than air combustible gas is of little use in the event of a gas leak. I can see the benefit, however, where the problem is simply one of venting carbon dioxide. For LPG you would, at the very least, need to isolate the bilge and shower base area and fit a gas alarm.

I imagine that any insurance policy, including third party liability would be voided by the inclusion of a non certified installation. I expect this could be lessened if the unit and gas supply line were to be installed by a licensed gas fitter. I wonder what the legal implications would be where a boat fitted with an Eco Temp L5 was tied up in a marina.

I think the unit is brilliant and at $130 a true bargain. However, I would need to know that legitimate certification was an option before I installed one in my vessel.

On a related note, Cruiser Log would not support the promotion of any uncertified, potentially explosive equipment and must therefore warn members and visitors to avoid the use of any similar gear which is fitted without the prior sanction of the manufacturer of the equipment, or which is fitted by anyone other than a licensed installation contractor.

Meanwhile welcome aboard and please keep posting.
Best wishes

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:06 PM   #8
CRUISING

Home Port: Coos Bay Oergon
Vessel Name: S/V - R3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
On a related note, Cruiser Log would not support the promotion of any uncertified, potentially explosive equipment and must therefore warn members and visitors to avoid the use of any similar gear which is fitted without the prior sanction of the manufacturer of the equipment, or which is fitted by anyone other than a licensed installation contractor.
Yep, thats what I expected you to say..