Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-05-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
Admiral

Default How can anybody see where they're going

with all this stuff on the deck? Three fenders, two kayaks, some jerry jugs, and a bunch of other stuff. Don't go offshore with all this!

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:57 AM   #2
Admiral

Another view

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Yeah, but the spice garden is a must
Old 02-05-2007, 01:44 PM   #4
Admiral

Nice boat - just a shame about all the junk on deck. Which brings me to an issue I have been pondering for a long time.

Many cruisers heading out on longer trips have their decks cluttered with jerry cans, surf-boards, upturned dingies (wooden or even aluminium) and all manner of stuff. Sure, it obstructs their passage on deck, probably gets in the way of running rig and raises the centre of gravity as well as increasing windage. All these things one can live with I suppose but I wonder to they ever stop to think what will hapen if they are hit by solid water? In bad weather, a wave breaking onto the boat will carry all that stuff away. Hopefully no more damage will ensue but that may not be the case.

When I leave sheltered waters I make a point of having nothing on deck. If I am going offshore I even remove the working anchor from the bow roller and stow it in the bilge. Why? Because about 30 years ago, when I was third officer on an 80,000 ton bulk carrier, we were crossing Biscay heading towards the Channel with a quarterly sea in really bad weather. It was about force 10 or 11. One wave roled up (from our port quarter) and broke on board. It carried away the port lifeboat which was in its davits maybe 15 metres above sea level. It then rolled up the main deck taking the catwalk with it. In fact, the catwalk was just roled up like the lid of an open sardine can. I was totally stunned by the power of the ocean! And that was on an 80,000 ton ship!

IMHO clear the decks!

Stephen

Yacht NAUSIKAA

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:54 PM   #5
Commander

Most monohull cruisers have far more stuff on deck then this. You can always pick out a cruiser.

Ever notice that catamarans rarely have anything on deck? The cat's I've seen in my journey's have all had clear decks. I don't carry a lot of stuff and have no need for using deck space for storage but I do know 4 cat's which are very heavy. Still the decks are clear; even the dinghies are mounted on the rear transom deck or on davits. Regarding space, I've seen 30 jerry cans being carried along the deck of monohulls; it's not uncommon to see both sides full of jerry cans. Never seen a cat carrying any jerry cans on deck. Don't know why this is and it's just an observation.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:43 PM   #6
Commander

Send a message via MSN to dnelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Converted Post'
Originally posted by Nausikaa

Nice boat - just a shame about all the junk on deck. Which brings me to an issue I have been pondering for a long time.

I was totally stunned by the power of the ocean! And that was on an 80,000 ton ship!

IMHO clear the decks!
Not to worry - the first knock down ( and it will happen - no matter what waters you are sailing in) will clean off the deck nicely...
dnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:42 PM   #7
Ensign

I would recommend a periscope.. It would be useful when it sinks under all thet extra weight

Catherine Carr
catherine@brittany-gites. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #8
john1234678@hotmail.com

maybe tow the dingy out back?