Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 08-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
Admiral

I took this photo from my patio about 10 minutes ago. As the fog rolled in over the ria a container ship left Vigo and headed out to sea. Simultaneously, a yacht was heading into port as quickly as she could; obviously hoping to find a safe haven before she became blanketed by the advancing fog. She made it but only just.

So, how do you cope with fog? What routines do you adopt? What special precautions do you take?

Please share your advice and recommendations with us as well as an anecdote or two.

Aye // Stephen
Attached Thumbnails
Fog.jpg  

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
Admiral

Assuming that one has been keeping watch and has seen the build up of fog.

#1a If you have radar installed switch it on. b; take bearings of any ships in the vicinity.

#2 If you have VHF switch it on to Channel 16.

#3 Switch on GPS and mark position - also note boat's heading

#4 Alert crew, all hands to their pre-arranged stations.

#5 If sailing, reduce sail - turn on auxiliary engine, run at minimum RPM

#6 Check sound making equipment (if LOA is over 12 metres - 40ft then make sure you have proper equipment)

#7 Check that all emergency equipment is readily available.

#8 Switch on mast head lights, stern light, steaming light.

Proceed quietly on course - listening! Post a lookout.

If Radar picks up any converging vessels - call on VHF Channel 16 - if you get a response, switch to a working channel and give your position and track .

Make appropriate sound signals at intervals of not less than 2 minutes.

Make sure that you can alter the boat's course quickly to avoid a collision.

Cup of Coffee !!

Old 08-19-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
Rear Admiral

No 1 on the new purchase list for us will be an AIS attachment for our Radar.

A few days out into the Coral Sea in the middle of a white out we detected a large vessel on a collision course with us. We contacted them on both VHF and HF and after a while, were able to negotiate a safe passage for us both. We could have done this a lot sooner if we could have identified them or them us rather than having to radio 'vessel at ......on a course of.......approaching yacht at......on a course of...

As it was, they were great and said that they had been watching us on radar for a while and seeing we were a yacht beating into it, that they would steer around us to make it easier. 15 min later a massive cargo ship passed our stern.

This experience was in great contrast to one a few days earlier when we transited a major trawl fishing ground at night with no moon. Our radar lit up like a christmas tree and we spent many nerve racking hours trying to make contact and steer around their trawl lines. As all Australian fishing vessels must carry AIS radar - having one ourselves would have made it a lot easier identifying particular vessels.

Fair winds
Attached Thumbnails
RADAR.jpg  
Old 08-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #4
Commander

MMNETSEA said it well in terms of advice. We don't have a lot of fog experience since we do our best to avoid going out in it, but I remember being in the CA Delta, motoring toward the bay at about 5 AM when our filters clogged. Fortunately that's a quick fix, but in the minutes between recognizing the trouble and flipping the switch to get the engine running again, we were drifting in the channel that often has huge ships plowing up or down river. I tried to control drift toward a sand bar instead of into deeper water, knowing our full keel would bump gracefully on the sand and I could toss over an anchor, whereas nothing would save us if one of the captains was an early riser and we coudn't move out of his way. There's no place for him to go in the narrow channel, so avoidance was up to us. I was so grateful not to hear any responding horns in those minutes. The engine came back to life and we motored quietly with full radar and on the alert, clanging our bell so we wouldn't scare anyone else on the water. It was reassuring to note that the first ship we passed waited until the fog lifted at 10AM.

Another pea soup experience came as we headed into Bahia San Quintin on the Pacific coast of Mexico under radar and gps. Knowing that the charts are a bit off, we often use the radar to determine the true location of land as opposed to the charted position, especially if we can't see it or if there's a submerged rock somewhere within two miles of shore and we want to make sure we stay further off than that. As it was, that morning we could hear the surf crashing a mile away on the beach as we dropped anchor just as the fog began to lift. It was gratifying to note that we were exactly where we wanted to be. We stayed at anchor there for several days, enjoying the calm and the empty bay.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
Admiral

Vessel Name: Persevate
Send a message via Yahoo to atavist

mmnetsea got it covered... although I always sound in fog even though i'm under 40ft... if it's going to be a long haul I use the manual horn... stupid thing sounds like a loud kazoo but better than nothing I suppose... I'd love to get my hands on one of those old hand crank air sirens!

or another prefered fog coarse of action is to just stand on the bow shouting "OOOOOODIIIIIN!!" every minute or so while fireing flaming brands ahead of the boat.

"To see new things, and live day to day, is better than wine or poppy, and fitter for a man." (Theseus)
atavist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg
Vessel Name: Aquaria

Just back from sailing the North Sea for 4 weeks (luckily without fog)

here are some more impressons to create goose bumps:

Click image for larger version

Name:	105_0531_IMG.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	1081

Some more pictures from the north spanish rias - here it is the Ria de Muros.

It was a nice sunny morning in August, but then the clouds came "falling" down the hills and half an hour later the sight was zero!

Luckily no trafic in this area, but we needed the GPS to sloooooooooowly proceed under sail back to Muros where we started.

It was hard to decide:

Proceeding quietly on course (with almost no wind)? You hear everything, but cannot react appropiately, if necessary.

Putting engine on and go slow speed? You move but don't hear anything but your engine.

Blowing the horn? The ears fall off.

We don't have Radar but since we have a Radar Target Enhancer at least the commercial shipping knows that we are out there.

And may I add two more points to MMNSEAs great list:

#9 go for shallow water to avoid the big ships, if possible.

#10 even when sailing unter clear conditions but close to fog banks (as in the picture) work down the checklist.

Wishing us all a season of clear skies

Uwe

SY Aquaria
Attached Thumbnails
105_0526_IMG.JPG   105_0530_IMG.JPG  

More on my Centurion 32:
https://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #7
Admiral

I assume that even with AIS one must sound your horn at regular intervals. I've heard of a recorded fog horn sound for small boats but I can't find one - anybody know more?

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:30 PM   #8

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP View Post
I assume that even with AIS one must sound your horn at regular intervals. I've heard of a recorded fog horn sound for small boats but I can't find one - anybody know more?
One of our HAM radios, (not a marine radio, but we have it also installed in the boat because of numerous features...) a Yaesu FTM10R (link)

has the ability to play MP3 files from any MP3 player and has an output for external loudspeaker. So, one could simply record whatever foghorn at whatever interval desired and then put the MP3 player on repeat.

The same radio has the nice feature of a bluetooth intercom so two people can use bluetooth headseats around the boat and talk thru the radio WITHOUT being "on" the VHF radio--it is simply an intercom in that mode. Further, you can have it play music or a radio station and simply cut in with the intercom (voice activated). Nice set up.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:42 AM   #9
Admiral

Quote:
Hi Jeanne,

Sound must be given irrespective of AIS, probably because most pleasure vessels do not have, including those without radar especially in coastal areas.

Have a look at defender's site for sound equipment - the mini horns and the portables HERE

Here is a photo of 2 mini horns I fitted to my motorcycle - REALLY LOUD !

and not expensive when compared to the same type sold by chandlers

Name:	Mini_Horns_with_12v_relay.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	1082
Old 08-25-2009, 02:48 AM   #10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaria View Post

#10 even when sailing unter clear conditions but close to fog banks (as in the picture) work down the checklist.

Wishing us all a season of clear skies

Uwe

SY Aquaria
Thanks Uwe, excellent additions to the check list

"#9 go for shallow water to avoid the big ships, if possible.

#10 even when sailing unter clear conditions but close to fog banks (as in the picture) work down the checklist"

Richard
Old 08-25-2009, 03:11 AM   #11
Admiral

I'm not looking for an air horn, we've got one. *The boat also has an electric horn. *But those require that someone sound them on *regular basis. *I'm looking for a recording that will sound the horn at the required intervals leaving the helmsman free to concentrate on all the other things needed to proceed in fog conditions.

Brenda's bluetooth headsets sound great. Must look for them!

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:58 AM   #12

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
I'm not looking for an air horn, we've got one. *The boat also has an electric horn. *But those require that someone sound them on *regular basis. *I'm looking for a recording that will sound the horn at the required intervals leaving the helmsman free to concentrate on all the other things needed to proceed in fog conditions.

Brenda's bluetooth headsets sound great. Must look for them!
Positive is listening to the radio or MP3's in stereo and talking to each other at the same time

There are weaknesses of the headset use with the radio--mostly that bluetooth is limited distance of approx 30 ft and depending on headset that can be shorter or longer. We purchased two stereo headsets for use with this radio. Our Motorola headset works great, our Plantronics one does not. We need to pick up another Motorola. We have yet to use the duo successfully when anchoring or doing anything "important" because the Plantronics typically drops the connection at just the wrong moment.

The 30' limit is something you have to work with. Our boat is 54' on deck and when you're working with the anchor roller, you can also end up several feet further forward on the bowsprit. So, we had to be a little creative to ensure we could communicate in most places on the boat. The particular radio was designed for ATV/motorcycles, etc, so has 2 parts, each has the ability to run one headset, so we put one part inside forward near the galley which is about 20 ft aft of the stem and the other part is in the charthouse about 15 ft forward of the helm. The person in the back part of the boat sinc's with the charthouse part of the radio, the other person sinc's with the galley part.

When the engine is running, sometimes we have interference with the Plantronics headset but not the Motorola. Sometimes the bluetooth works a much greater distance--we've used the headsets within about 50 ft of the radios.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #13
Admiral

Not really understanding the reason for wearing a headset when trying to listen for fog warnings and other sounds. Is this another noun that has undergone evolution : Earphones = Headset ?

Think it preferable to keep the sound equipment and operation thereof, Simple. Also preferable that that it is operated by the lookout/s - if single handing then the helmsman/woman operate it from the helm, by pressing a button.

If the boat already has dc voltage electric horns, there is a very simple electronic device which can be assembled - it can be made to operate the existing horns for say 3 seconds every 2 minutes.

Here is the schematic with the components needed. It is in German - perhaps Uwe might like to assist ?

Name:	FlipFlop.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	1083

Kemo's Website - in English, does have a kit (the B0150) which will provide the sound of a fog Horn for the princely sum of €3.8 euros ($5.44 US) :- KLIK HERE

Name:   Fog_horn_Kit.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  15.4 KB
Old 08-25-2009, 11:34 AM   #14
Wanabee

Home Port: Wirral

So, five miles offshore heading into port, sudden thick fog, gentle breeze against a strongish tide, plenty of traffic around young children on board, everybody on deck properly dressed lifejackets etc and all adults aware and prepared for the situation etc etc. Would you advise clipping on or not?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #15
Admiral

Hello Peter,

Good Question !! Clip on or stop ???

Need to know :- strong flood or ebb tide ? When is slack ?

Again depending on the Port and the depth - my own inclination would be to proceed in short steps - say 0.5nm - stop listen - proceed until arriving in an anchorage then drop the hook in a presumed safe place and alert port authority where you are (or think you are).

If one stays out at sea - then make sure that you are out of shipping lanes - again depending on the particular port's inbound and outbound traffic volumes and their approach/departure bearings.

Not sure what statistics show nowadays - but I guess that very few collisions occur as a direct result of FOG - Wonder what Lloyds of London say?
Old 08-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #16
Rear Admiral

Home Port: Hamburg
Vessel Name: Aquaria

Quote:
If the boat already has dc voltage electric horns, there is a very simple electronic device which can be assembled - it can be made to operate the existing horns for say 3 seconds every 2 minutes.

Here is the schematic with the components needed. It is in German - perhaps Uwe might like to assist ?
Oh yes!

It is a time switch adjustable from zero to 10 minutes. If pushing the (external) button the signal turns on and automatically off after the selected timespan. But you still have to push the putton every two minutes.

This kit is no longer on the market but the KEMO-company still exists and they offer similar kit: http://www.kemo-electronic.com/en/ba...b042/index.htm .

(But this company is only doing whole sale business and does not sell to private persons )

But I found another kit at Konrad Electronik (a big german electronic warehouse): it is an interval switch, that turns devices on and off after set intervals. If I understand it right, it means that you don't have to push the button every two minutes! http://www1.conrad.de/scripts/wgate/zcop_b..._max_results=20 .

Uwe

SY Aquaria

More on my Centurion 32:
https://www.cabinetdeparodontologie.n...ria/index.html
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Germany, Background, Cruising/Sailing the German Bight
Aquaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:14 PM   #17
Wanabee

Interesting point about the actual risk of collision.

As far as the scenarios go, maybe we could consider an hour past low high water with a light beeze against the flood making it a little uncomfortable.

Stopped or making way, the question remains, clip on or not?
Old 08-26-2009, 04:06 AM   #18
Admiral

Hi Peter ,

Your "Stopped or making way, the question remains, clip on or not?"

Again it's the skipper's call - taking all the conditions into account - his and/or the crews relevant knowledge of the area - boats condition/equipment/capability etc.. Is the boat in contact with the port ?

Which is safer? that is the decision the skipper must make, irrespective of what others on board would like to do.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:10 AM   #19
Wanabee

Surely, it's always going to be the Skipper's call. What I'm trying to get to is what others might consider/do wrt crew safety while they are proceeding as safely as possible to a safer position - or , indeed, stopped cos they're already there.

My own - probably simplistic binary - dilemna is the risk of an event in which:

- the boat is destroyed by a serious collision in which case being clipped on (especially children) is probably not clever

- as a result of weather/sea conditions, hitting a bow wave/a wake or even a bit of a nudge(!), a crew member could go overboard exacerbating an already difficult situation - MOB in fog at night in a busy shipping lane; now there's a question!

My own thoughts are clip on and be damned largely cos my instincts say that the risk of a serious collision is probably the least likely.

What would others - you've all got more experence than me - be thinking and actually do?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #20
Admiral

Peter,

There is probably no simplistic answer, so many different factors at sea are involved with no one scenario the same as another. The role that the skipper plays has been evolved over centuries. When dense fog envelops a boat, the first few minutes is the time allowed for clear precise instructions to be given to crew and passengers - these should be understood - if not, then repeated until they are. After that, no further discussion. The skipper then may reallocate tasks where necessary and then gets on with keeping the boat and everyone on board safe and sound.

In addition to following the Law regarding the prevention of collisions at sea, the check list given earlier still has application.

#1a If you have radar installed switch it on. b; take bearings of any ships in the vicinity.

#2 If you have VHF switch it on to Channel 16.

#3 Switch on GPS and mark position - also note boat's heading

#4 Alert crew, all hands to their pre-arranged stations.

#5 If sailing, reduce sail - turn on auxiliary engine, run at minimum RPM

#6 Check sound making equipment (if LOA is over 12 metres - 40ft then make sure you have proper equipment)

#7 Check that all emergency equipment is readily available.

#8 Switch on mast head lights, stern light, steaming light.

#10 even when sailing under clear conditions but close to fog banks (as in the pictures) work down the checklist"

Proceed quietly on course - listening! Post a lookout.

If Radar picks up any converging vessels - call on VHF Channel 16 - if you get a response, switch to a working channel and give your position and track .

Make appropriate sound signals at intervals of not less than 2 minutes.

Make sure that you can alter the boat's course quickly to avoid a collision.