Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #1
miz
Ensign

Im planing to buy a sailboat and move in,,,, I do not know how to sail at all (very very limited sailing knowledge)

my question is whats the best way to go about it and be there a.s.a.p , my intention over all is to buy my last boat first,is a fastrack to Yachtmaster at RYA a good way to start ? any suggestions?

Thank you

Old 02-11-2009, 08:08 AM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Hi Miz

You would need to give a few details before anyone can make suggestions. Budget for the boat? Multi or mono? Location to liveaboard? etc., etc.

Good luck with your plans.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:35 AM   #3
miz
Ensign

Hi Light.... Mono, location wont really matter,where ever i will find the boat will be the location for that time,a day a week a year,i have no plans or meeting to attend,not so sure about the budget yet,at the moment its around 100k

thx light
Old 02-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by miz View Post
not so sure about the budget yet,at the moment its around 100k
100k of what?

you may have already noticed Miz that we have members from the US, the UK, South Africa and Aurtralia and many other countries. It could be a good idea to specify currency and even location. Even if you are mobile there is a huge difference between checking out a boat in Nova Scotia and another in New South Wales.

Try and help us to help you

One bit of advice you should hear right now though is to get out on the water and try sailing with a friend or with a sailing school just to get the "feel of things". If you enjoy it then we can discuss more detailed plans. If you don't like it then look for something else. I am not trying to discourage you but to save you from what might be a huge investment in both time and money only to disciver that sailing in not for you.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
miz
Ensign

you 101% right NAUSIKAA ,,,im in canada at the moment and the 100k is US$$

im packing up here and i hope that by end of march i will be free and "homeless"

all my life i'v been in and around the ocean,just not sailing much and spending the night on a sailboat,i did a week course in sailing a few years back,i know its for me to live on a boat ,i do not need to test it,,,if im wrong it will be expensive test ,

what i like to do is learn how to sail,to buy a boat is the last thing on my mind,,,in a way...i belive that after i will learn a little and spend more time around boats then i will know better to what kind of boat to look for,,,...crewing on a sailboat will be good start??

thxs for the replys and your time ppl
Old 02-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
Moderator/Wiki Sysop

Home Port: Samos
Vessel Name: S/Y Thetis

I want to second Nausikaa's sensible advise. Most of us here in CL love the sea and sailing very passionately but there are many people who although initially are attracted with the romance of sailing once exposed to the cramped, wet, and motion of a boat, not to mention the expense are quickly cooled off. So, going out with a friend's boat several times, especially for longish periods is very prudent.

Learning to sail with a small dinghy is maybe the best and fastest way to become a sailor. If there is a sailing school near you, look into their small boat program. By the way sailing small boats is harder then large yachts.

Good luck.

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online world Cruising Guide

Built by cruisers, for cruisers.

=Mediterranean,Black Sea,North Atlantic,Caribbean
I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Mediterranean, Black Sea, Atlantic
Istioploos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #7

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Agree with Istioploos that 1. getting out there with friends (even strangers!) and different kinds of boats is useful; and that 2. sailing a small boat (e.g. dingy sailing) is more difficult than sailing a yacht!

It is harder to sail a smal boat...but the consequences of sailing poorly in a dingy are small--you might end up "in irons" not going anywhere or you might not be able to fight your way off a lee shore. Or, you'll even likely go over (capsize) a time or two...or 10...in variable winds. However, no harm will be done to you or your dingy--you'll be wet perhaps but you will have had lots of fun and learned a great deal, too. A yacht is easier, but the larger the boat, the greater the consequences of a mistake. Damage to the boat, yourself, loss of the boat, or severe injury/loss of life for you or crew members are consequences of mistakes.

Let us know what you find in the way of local classes, clubs, or recreaction facilities that can help you get started sailing. Even if you decide to take a fun class aboard a yacht in an exciting cruising location, you'll be better off if you've started with some basics at home

We look forward to your sailing progress. You'll have many more questions, for sure, so come back and ask as things come along for you.

Fair winds.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:02 AM   #8
miz
Ensign

So far i think i will go with fastrack with RYA ,unless ill find some sailboat to cruise around with ,which ever way will get me out there ,movement of the boat do not bother me and if its wet is not a problem what so ever,,i can just about "sleep" in water ...slept 8 months on the sand ,shower in the sea and rinse with some fresh water and was all good, a boat will be an upgragade ,,,but still need to learn how to sail and more then the basic if i want to be out in blue water