Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-22-2005, 06:24 AM   #1
smourt

Default Hunter as Blue Water Cruiser?

Firstly thanks to all the contributors to this site. I have been browsing the forum for some time now and am amazed at your generosity. It takes time to answer questions (some being the same).

I noted from a previous thread that Jeannep stated that a "Hunter" is not capable for ocean crossings etc...

I have decided that my budget for my first cruising boat is 25 - 30-something (depending on equipment). Not much invested money invested. I know. I have looked at a Lello (and a couple of other here in RSA), which I quite like but find that the beam is just a bit to tight for extended periods (9 feet). Doing my usual hunting (pun not intended) on the net I keep finding myself looking at the comparative luxury of the Hunters (several models). For the money they are well equipped. I have looked around marinas around here (Cape Town) and have not found any to have a good look at.

I appreciate your time and will also expect single line answers like "you got to be kidding".

thanks all
Old 07-22-2005, 03:57 PM   #2
smourt

sorry I should also have stated 34 foot. I am also interested in any advice on a C&C.

thanks
Old 07-23-2005, 09:20 AM   #3
Ensign

C&C would be a step up on the Hunter but likely not a big enough step. It also depends on which C&C model. Some were built to the old IOR racing rule and are not terribly well-mannered off the wind. For the amount of money you are talking about, you might consider the C&C models that predate the numbered models like C&C 30 and C&C 33. They made a number of models like Corvettes (smaller than you want) and Frigates (a 36), Invaders and so. Here is one so you get a sense of the kind of boat

http://yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat...720&slim=quick&

They certainly do not have nearly the space of a Hunter but on a passage you do not want a lot of volume to get thrown around in.

Bruce
Old 07-23-2005, 03:39 PM   #4
smourt

Thanks Bruce
Old 07-23-2005, 06:01 PM   #5
Commander

S:

Hunter is one of numerous AWBs* out there in the marketplace these days but perhaps fits the negative term "bubble boat" more than most, i.e. there is certainly a LOT of boat and windage above the waterline than there is hull and keel below the waterline. This is not exactly what your sailing area is looking for...

Iīd encourage you to use some of the sailing periodical websites to research comparable AWBs; there are many competitors and you will see some distinct differences. As one example, a comparable boat (in size, cost, basic construction) that has been in production for many years and sold several thousand hulls is the Catalina. With a lead keel, conventional masthead rig, Euro floor plan (the head is located where you can actually use it offshore comfortably) and functional interior, it would seem to be at least as valid a choice for you. If you visit the C34 owners website (sorry, the URL isnīt handy but google it), you will find a huge inventory of info on the boat along with a range of owners who can provide further info on request. Personally, I would prefer a C34 over the many other AWBs now in production (Beneteau 343, Hanse 342, Jenneau 35 come to mind).

Jack
Old 07-24-2005, 01:40 AM   #6
smourt

thanks jack

this is the exact info I am looking for. Because I am from South Africa I have not seen any before. Pics tell you alot but not necessarily what is most important.