Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 06-24-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie
Default Hunter Yachts

Has anyone first hand experience with Hunter Yachts and their suitability as passagemakers. Would especially appreciate comments on their seakeeping ability and the B&G rig. David.

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 11:12 PM   #2
Rear Admiral

David,

My neighbour sailed 1500 miles from Texas to St Thomas and now lives aboard with his wife. He comes from a boat building family and claims to have owned & sold hundreds of boats of all types. He says he wouldn't want to sail across oceans on his present boat - a Hunter 425 center cockpit sloop.

I believe their arch mounted main sheet traveler system is interesting and it seems to be a proven design. But it must have some limitations.

Kirk

Old 06-25-2006, 01:39 AM   #3
Admiral

I'm afraid that Kirk's report is pretty much the accepted wisdom with regard to Hunter yachts.

I think they look nice, seem to be lovely day sailers, but I've not heard anybody suggest they were a reasonable blue water boat. There are a few fellows out there who say VERY nasty things about Hunters.

However, at least one has crossed the Pacific - of course, people have crossed the Pacific in 21-foot boats, another thing I would consider doing. :0)

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:09 AM   #4
Ensign

Hi guys,

I own a Hunter 450 and believe me, this boat is PERFECT. I have been sailing for 25 years and owned six sailboats. This one is the most INTELLIGENT design I have seen so far. All riggings are top of the line, nothing cheap and in fact... actually, I am sailing very far (Paciific) and I am confident in my boat. Obviously I will not sail in the "raging 40 degree". In any kind of boat you will suffer in those conditions. Please pick your weather and water plan!!

But, I can understand the bad reputation of Hunter from the past, I myself was calling them the "Chevrolet" and swore I would never buy one. Now I have! And I dont regret it. Whatever problems they had in the 80's have been all corrected and even improved beyond that.

To equal my boat you need to buy a 65 footer. This boat has such great use of space and is built very solid...and don't forget how good they look! This boat is the total package.

Gate & Darby

S/V NICOLINO
Old 06-27-2006, 01:08 PM   #5
Ensign

Hello to all

It has been my expierence that Hunter Yachts are fine for day sailing ar even a trip to the carrabiean(from the east coast US in good weather and perhaps some Island hoping. But no more than that. They are not a blue water boat.

These are not idle remarks, but are based on many years and miles of blue water expierence. As far as first hand goes, yes In March 2001 I departed Capetown S/A making way for St Helena, 6 or seven yachts had left within a 2 or 3 day period. One of which was a Hunter 45ft.(this was the only one I saw during a 3 year circumnavagation) Some 2 days out the wind piped up to 40 ar 45 knts. The Hunter was the only vessel that had to turn and heave to, so much for sea keeping ability. In a later conversation the skipper admitted that he could not control his yacht in those conditions. This was a fairly new yacht.

Any vessel sailing offshore must be able to withstand your average Ocean gale in relative safty.

Don't make a mistake before you set sails.

Fair Winds

D
Old 07-01-2006, 03:19 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

Hi All,

We always seem to hear negatives about the vessels and few about the sailors.

The Hunters are not for me - IMHO they appear to be built to give the max space on board - compromise somewhat on sailing capability - and I don't agree with others that they even look good.

But I've a pal with a 40+ Hunter who was caught out in the Black Sea and lived with 60 knot winds for a day - and he had no issues other than being tossed around a bit. I guess any other vessel would have that same issue in those conditions.

I belive almost any boat can go almost anywhere in almost any conditions if the skipper knows what he's doing. If he doesn't - then even the most expensive and well up yacht could run into problems.

Cheers

JOHN
Old 07-06-2006, 03:47 PM   #7
Jan
Lieutenant

I fully agree with John: it's the crew that makes the boat safe or not. A responsible skipper knows the limits / weak points of his boat and crew.

All production boats need modification before there safe to go ocean cruising: sources enough on that but the most important issue is preparation and common sense.

Jan

www.pinical.nl
Old 07-15-2006, 05:47 AM   #8
Ensign

I think corners are cut for wight savings if you look at the displacement 40ft 11,000 lbs Island packet 26,000 lbs,,,figure it out.

Any sailboat that cruises an crossings should be rated "A Ocean"

they have to build to that spec.

Dan