Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 10-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

At about 1:30am last night, a 50ft power boat pulls onto the mooring just ahead of us. About 10 minutes later, the electric wench starts-up to lower their dinghy into the water.

Since we are sleeping in the V-birth with the hatch open, this awakens us both. As the noise dies for a few moments we fall back to sleep. Then, a lame sounding electric starter motor begins cranking and cranking and cranking and cranking...for about 10 minutes. We are both awake again. The noise once again stops just long enough for us to both fall back to sleep.

Then, the strong smell of starter fluid comes pouring into the open hatch....THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!

I stick my head out the hatch and tell the guy that he is gassing us out and that he needs to stop. His response..."Must suck to be down wind."

At this point I'm ready to dive into the water and pull the A$$H%@& into the water! I yell at the guy that he better be really big, because I'm coming over! Suddenly his friends tell him to stop and come to bed...he keeps talking trash as he reluctantly gives-up.

This morning they were still working on the motor...they eventually broke-out the oars. As we motored by with our dive gear a few minutes ago, I gave them a BIG smile.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:20 PM   #2
Lieutenant

At 1:30am sounds like some people on that powerboat were really anxious to get off. Wonder why?

Just remember Trim that this is the beauty of living aboard…You can get away from them!

Old 10-05-2007, 03:07 AM   #3
Admiral

I sympathise TRIM. I really do and I just hope that you were both able to sleep well this last night.

On the other hand, we yachting types are not always so good at keeping the noise down either. I am not now thinking of the odd party aboard when Hawaiian love songs are intertwined with the delicate tones of Scottish bagpipes accompanied by the boat neighbour on his saxaphone but by the un-ending and immensly annoying perpetual clang - clang - clang of halyards hammering against masts - particularly aluminium masts.

I am very careful to secure my halyards so that they will not disturb. I like my sleep too! But why, oh why do not all yachtsmen do this?

Am I old and grumpy / over sensitive / in posession of hyper hearing (delete as appropriate) ???

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
Admiral

Home Port: Darwin
Vessel Name: Sandettie

Halyards slapping against the mast really-drives-me-to-want-to-kill! Then there is the ratty type who pulls into your secluded bay, fires up a three million kilowatt generator and only turns it off in time to 'share' his love of country and western music with everyone else in the anchorage.....Joy!

David

Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
Rear Admiral

Halyards slapping againt the mast... aka the "DEVIL'S TATTOO".

Easy fix is to slack the halyard enough to flip it around the end of the spreader and then snug it again.

Amazing how you can be the only boat anchored in a four mile wide bay - and some stranger enters and drops their hook close enough for both boats to kiss.

Whenever someone comes in poking around close enough to invade our solitude... when we're not feeling sociable - I'll simply strip down to nothing and go start fooling around with our anchor windlass.

This usually inspires them enough to seek-out their own private anchorage... often around the point to the next bay, or island!

To Life!

Kirk
Old 10-05-2007, 07:15 PM   #6
Rear Admiral

KIRK,

ILMAO, thinking of you flashing yours to some strangers. I will have to remember that one. Of course it would have to be me, and not my wife, or they might board me....LOLOLOLOLOL
Old 10-06-2007, 07:33 AM   #7
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallivanters View Post
Halyards slapping againt the mast... aka the "DEVIL'S TATTOO".

Easy fix is to slack the halyard enough to flip it around the end of the spreader and then snug it again.
When I bought NAUSIKAA she had been fitted with a simple device on the spreaders to facilitate this. A small nylon cleat is attached to stbd and port spreader with the inboard "wings" cut off each cleat. It is a simple matter to flip the halyard round the remaining wing which points outboard and then take home the slack.

Works wonderfully! Only problem is when setting the main the mainsail halyard has been known to flip itself arround the half-cleat. Just have to keep an eye aloft to ensure the halyard does not foul.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:10 AM   #8
Lieutenant

Like the guy comming into the anchorage ALMOST on plane and his bow wake rocking all the boats. Just want to up anchor when he is fixing a meal or the crack of dawn and do the same.