Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 02-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
Ensign

Bula!

In the 2011 Budget, the Government of Fiji has required a number of Ministries to become self-funding, so in response, there have been a number of new user fees, as well as increases in existing fees implemented.

The Department of Health Fees have been increased from $F33.00 to F$150.00 (as of this instant, the exchange rate is roughly F$1.80 = US$ 1.00). Although not specifically stated, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that overtime fees have also to reflect the increase in VAT from 12.5% to 15.0% (VAT is charged on almost everything in Fiji, including gov't services).

What was formerly the Department of Quarantine is now the Department of Biosecurity, has also increased their fees, but are yet to 'officially' announce them. In December 2010, they stated that they were going to implement the following fees:

Clearance F$102. If you have a dog or cat on board, there will also be a fee of F$52.00 per animal, as well as a bond of F$1000/animal. The bond is a direct result of boats who have persisted in leaving a 'dirty wake' by not observing the regulation to quarantine their animal on board, but taking them to shore instead. The bond will be refundable, unless the animal is caught on land.

I'm posting this info up on this and other boards, and will be sending it onward also to the PPJ group. I've updated the web page we manage, http://www.waituimarinafiji.com/clearance.html, to reflect these changes as well.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Vinaka,

Michael Homsany

Bebi Electronics, Ltd.

Winners of the Fiji Government 2006 Unique Exporter of the Year Award
MichaelHomsany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:05 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to delatbabel

I find your page helpful, informative, and easy to follow. I wish there were more like it.

Overall, considering the general economic issues of the entire area, not just Fiji, I think that the fees and charges levied here are fairly reasonable. I've certainly seen worse in areas of the Pacific.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:30 AM   #3
Commander

Bula Mike, nice post. Good to hear from Savusavu.

No breadfruit can be reached when the picking stick is too short.
Spike_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiji