Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 01-11-2007, 05:32 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Info on Endurance Boats

Hi I am new to the Forum but not to the persuit of the cruising dream. I spent my younger days sailing on the west coast of Canada and knew then that it would be my retirement dream to liveaboard and sail full time. I am fast approaching the day when I can make that a reality.

I am looking at spending about 150k canadian on the boat which would leave me a good budget to go long term with savings and pension. I know what I want in a boat and gear but know very few builders by reputation. I want a boat that is blue water capable but truth is it will probably never leave the Caribbean..........But you never know.

I have recently been looking at some mid to late 80's boats by Edurance in the 38-42 ft range and there is some nice equipped listings. I know nothing about the builder or the reputation of the boats.....Help please......Ps feel free to suggest some of your favorite builders as I am a sponge for info right now

Old 01-11-2007, 10:11 PM   #2
Ensign

I am also looking at the endurance. I believe the boat has great interior volume, but does not sail down wind that great, I stand to be corrected on the down wind sailing.

Not that many on the market.

I believe a lot were home built.

Old 01-12-2007, 05:39 PM   #3
Ensign

Send a message via MSN to SV Gwendolyn Send a message via Yahoo to SV Gwendolyn

Hi there

I have owned an Endurance 37 since 2001 and have been more than happy with her.

I sailed from Durban South Africa to New Zealand via the Panama and was extremely happy with the seaworthiness of the design.

They are certainly not great upwind but sail well off the wind and are extremely well built for ocean cruising.

My boat was built in 1984 by Knysna Boatyard and the quality of build was great. After 22 years there are still no osmosis problems except for a few minor blisters.

All in all, for bluewater sailing I highly recommend the Endurance design.

Cheers

Craig
Old 01-14-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
Lieutenant

I have not owned one, but did some sailing in a 45 a few years ago. Lots of room, dry, moderate only upwind, OK downwind, felt safe. Liked it and would not hesitate to own another for cruising.

Steelfan
Old 01-15-2007, 02:49 AM   #5
Ensign

Thanks for the info
Old 01-15-2007, 02:52 AM   #6
Ensign

Could you be a little more specific about the upwind performance. For instance what would I expect out of 16 knots of wind.........Thanx
Quote:
Originally Posted by name='Converted Post'
Originally posted by SV Gwendolyn

Hi there

I have owned an Endurance 37 since 2001 and have been more than happy with her.

I sailed from Durban South Africa to New Zealand via the Panama and was extremely happy with the seaworthiness of the design.

They are certainly not great upwind but sail well off the wind and are extremely well built for ocean cruising.

My boat was built in 1984 by Knysna Boatyard and the quality of build was great. After 22 years there are still no osmosis problems except for a few minor blisters.

All in all, for bluewater sailing I highly recommend the Endurance design.

Cheers

Craig
Old 01-16-2007, 11:03 PM   #7
Ensign

Send a message via MSN to SV Gwendolyn Send a message via Yahoo to SV Gwendolyn

Well, that would depend on many factors such as sea state. The point I am making is that due to the keel configuration, the Endurance does not point as high and has more leeway than more modern designs. Having said that, it is certainly not so bad that one cannot consider it as a cruising boat. 16 knots apparent in a moderate seaway - I guess 4.5 to 5 knots - flat sea, easy 5 knots