Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-16-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
Ensign

am looking at a 37ft yacht - is as tidy as any you would find and has all the elecs etc for a good price....issue i have is that i am not sure of GRP construction and weather it is really strong enough to take a 4-5 day punding in the middle of nowwhere? any thoughts, experiences would be greatly aprpeciated...thanks in advance

Old 03-16-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

What is the age, design and who was the builder?

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
Ensign

1999 , Carpenter 37 , new zealand design and build, limited numbers made
Old 03-16-2008, 10:11 PM   #4
Admiral

I am afraid I know nothing of the make and design of this boat but, in general, GRP can be as good or as bad as the builder makes it.

At the top end of the scale, I sailed in a GRP minehunter about 25 years ago as a fairly young lieutenant. That ship was made to withstand being within fairly close proximity of a mine detonation. The biggest worry was not the ship herself but all the electronic and mechanical equipment on board. Everything was hung on springs - not metal coils but something liking leaf springs. The hull was seriously strong. The ship would also break ice until she got stuck due to low engine power rather than the lack of hull strength.

At the other end of the scale, there are boats which are, in the worst case, thin hulled with insufficient stiffening and with badly laid GRP. You pay your money and you take your choice. As always, a good survey is well worth the money. Also well worth the money is the free advice you will be able to get on this forum. There is sure to be someone here who is familiar with the Carpenter 37 and can give you some advice.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:48 PM   #5
Ensign

thanks for that, appreciate it
Old 03-17-2008, 12:20 AM   #6
Admiral

Hello there,

Your boat's build year is given as 1999 - built in NZ - a Carter 37.

However, most of the boats known as a Carter 37 came off the drawing boards of Dick Carter in the 70s - fast boats designed for the IOR rule change of 1968 . They were built in a number of countries - Poland, Greece Japan. Olympic Yachts built them, amongst others.

The hulls were thick and strong GRP/Wood/GRP and in that period could certainly be classed for offshore cruising.

If you are considering buying - then it would be advisable to have the boat out of the water on the hard for a least a week - having been washed down with fresh water and dried off. Then have the hull surveyed for moisture - osmosis - delamination etc. The reason, is the question regarding type of resin that was used ie : orthophalic or isophalic . The type of glass and the way it was laidup , the yard conditions etc ..., these are all factors that will be taken into account by a surveyor.

If you are sure that your 'Carter 37" was built in NZ less than ten years ago - the seller should be able to supply a constructor's (builder's) certificate - from which you may be able to make contact with the builder and get detailed specs etc..

Good Luck

Richard
Old 03-18-2008, 02:11 AM   #7
Admiral

Richard's advice is good. There are good boats, there are badly built boats, and there are boats that were good but have been mistreated. That's why a good surveyor and a bit of caution can save you a lot of heartache and money.

Also, see this old thread about steel vs. fiberglass: http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/ind...showtopic=3879

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:07 AM   #8
Lieutenant

The GRP as material is not what I would be worried about.

Except from a hull survey, the rigging, both standing and running is just as important and too often 'forgotten'.

My 37 Jeanneau managed without too much of problems both the Atlantic and Pacific a few years ago.

http://www.geocities.com/haffiman37
Old 03-19-2008, 10:21 PM   #9
Ensign

thanks for the input guys

just a note - I said a "carpenter 37" not Carter 37 - its def built in nz in 99
Old 03-20-2008, 03:19 AM   #10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattplowman View Post
thanks for the input guys

just a note - I said a "carpenter 37" not Carter 37 - its def built in nz in 99
Sorry About that - misread

Here is a picture of the Carpenter 37 Deck saloon : 
Name:   Carpenter_37.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  4.8 KB

- however, the info regarding GRP applies to both.

Note: there is a sale of CARPENTER 37 molds in NZ at this time for $1,000 NZ.

Richard
Old 03-26-2008, 12:05 AM   #11
Ensign

the picture you have posted in the exact boat i am looking at - it is a very nice boat inside and out.

a word about the designer - i managed to get his number and called him out of the blue - he was very very helpful and was more then happy to speak to me about his design and his thoughts on its offshore ability etc....a good guy!