Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-26-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
Ensign

I am brand spanking new here so pardon me if this is posted in the incorrect forum.

A friend of mine where talking a few nights ago. He recently purchased a multi hull. (not sure what kind) He brought up the idea of me after school POSSIBLY joining him for a year sailing the deep blue ocean. I said well how would i support my self. He came up with the amazing Idea of doing hair.

Now I am still in Cosmetology school; I will be for another 8-10 months. I have a amazing portfolo allready and Will graduate with a great resume from school.

He explain to me how the sailing community worked and he said there would be quite a need of people who can do hair,make up and nails and that there are many forums that I could use to gain clientele.

I thought this would be a amazing thing to do and have on my resume.

So I have a few questions.

1. Is there really a need in the sailing community for some one with these skills?

2. Are people willing to spend decent money on these services?

3. If I do not travel with him. How do I go about finding some one to sail with. I have NO sailing skills but am a D*** fast learner. I also do have a valid passport until 2018

4. I have read about the Paying to sail.. I know this is a scam. I would be willing to pay for my own food and POSSIBLY for board. But would hope my work (cleaning,cooking ect) could be used in trade. Where should I look to find this kind of set up?

5. Does any one know the Laws with doing hair in the EU? I know most islands and what not have no law. The USA has hours no more then 2100 and a license to work in that state. But was told if i was 3 miles out it does not matter.

Any info would be extremely helpful.

Here is a little about me

Midwest Gal with a city vibe

5'8

Does not look good in a Bikini

Great sense of humor

Well educated

Down to earth and easy going.

Strong

No high maintness.

Thank you!

Miss D

Old 04-26-2010, 01:30 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

I am brand spanking new here so pardon me if this is posted in the incorrect forum.

Oh, you probably could have gone to the tavern, but Welcome! here. Let's talk about your interest in cruising.

A friend of mine where talking a few nights ago. He recently purchased a multi hull. (not sure what kind) He brought up the idea of me after school POSSIBLY joining him for a year sailing the deep blue ocean. I said well how would i support my self. He came up with the amazing Idea of doing hair.

Now I am still in Cosmetology school; I will be for another 8-10 months. I have a amazing portfolo allready and Will graduate with a great resume from school.

He explain to me how the sailing community worked and he said there would be quite a need of people who can do hair,make up and nails and that there are many forums that I could use to gain clientele.

I thought this would be a amazing thing to do and have on my resume.

It could be a wonderful experience for YOU and you might really have a blast. However, it won't be something great to have on your resume since you're not in a maritime trade. As a matter of fact, sometimes people think folks who take off and cruise, hike, bike, whatever for a while are sort of flaky and not a good bet in terms of employing them. So...not exactly a resume-builder, I don' think.

So I have a few questions.

1. Is there really a need in the sailing community for some one with these skills?

Most cruisers are on a budget and more "back to nature" than into having perfect cuticles. As such, you'll find folks in the sailing community cutting their own hair, cutting hubby's hair, each others, etc. There are a lot of women who let their hair get long and just keep it braided or tied back. Nails--I always notice that non-sailing women have lovely nails which I envy. However, I'd not pay from my cruising kitty to have my nails done. When I was working in a job which required a suit 5 days a week, I rarely had my nails done professionally though.

2. Are people willing to spend decent money on these services

Most cruisers aren't willing to spend "decent money" on the safety and maintenance related items they NEED to operate their boats. Most are on a very tight budget. The less they spend, the longer they can stay out cruising. So, we're talking low on the budget list here.

3. If I do not travel with him. How do I go about finding some one to sail with. I have NO sailing skills but am a D*** fast learner. I also do have a valid passport until 2018

Suggest you go to the local yacht clubs and pick up on learning how to sail, volunteer to sail on other boats (weekend races, etc) until you're a GOOD sailor. You will then be a desired crew for many owners of cruising boats.

4. I have read about the Paying to sail.. I know this is a scam. I would be willing to pay for my own food and POSSIBLY for board. But would hope my work (cleaning,cooking ect) could be used in trade. Where should I look to find this kind of set up?

"room and board" means "room and food" so...board means "food" and food is all you should be asked to share in costs on a boat. Try linking up with folks AFTER you've learned to sail via the local yacht clubs as mentioned above.

5. Does any one know the Laws with doing hair in the EU? I know most islands and what not have no law. The USA has hours no more then 2100 and a license to work in that state. But was told if i was 3 miles out it does not matter.

Someone will likely come along with licensing info but if you work in a country, you'll have to have a work permit for that country and you'll (typically) have to be able to do something the locals can't provide so that the government will want to issue you a work permit. International waters at 3 miles? uh, don't know about that one. Sounds like someone's dream. The laws of adjacent countries apply far out to sea. Many people try to get around this, and I'm no expert but just advise--don't think you can do what you please because you're a few miles offshore. Look here for the info.

Any info would be extremely helpful.

Here is a little about me

Midwest Gal with a city vibe

5'8

Does not look good in a Bikini

Great sense of humor

Well educated

Down to earth and easy going.

Strong

No high maintness.

Thank you!

Miss D

Don't get taken advantage of--the best way to make sure that you don't is to be a good sailor BEFORE you start your trip. Really, get yourself in touch with a couple yacht clubs, volunteer. If you can't do that, then take sailing lessons (small boat dingy lessons are cheap and a great way to lean the basics). If you don't want to sail with your friend (for example no money to do so) and there are no yacht clubs near you or no opportunities to sail, consider taking a job somewhere on the water where you'll be able to learn to sail. Your skills may land you a job in a resort on the water where you'll be able to learn to sail. Or, simply in a town with nearby sailing.

Best of luck to you,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:34 AM   #3
Ensign

Thank You for the great info you made me look at a few things I have not considered.

Sad part is I live in Iowa. I am about as far from the ocean or a huge lake as you can get.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:32 AM   #4

Yea, if you're wanting to cruise, Iowa is pretty far from the water. You can learn to sail if you manage to find a job along the Great Lakes. Even the twin cities have a river running through and many sail-able lakes. The USA is a big place--lots of shore line.

If you're not just interested in small cruising yachts but rather any boat/ship that might afford you a life afloat, you might consider looking into the jobs aboard cruise ships and superyachts. Here's a book about that.

Best of luck to you.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:59 AM   #5
Ensign

Yeah I have been looking into cruise ships but most of the time there is a 3+ year waiting list sadly. And they usually want A lot of exsperance and I dont fit the high end salon like they have. I have MANY tattoos they fit me well and im not scary looking.. but they kind of look down on them even if your skills are amazing.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
Ensign

My responce will be a little different than Redbopeeps. I am also from Iowa, a little town west of Des Moines, DeSoto to be exact. Raised on a farm, sorta like Webb Chiles, a five times around the world sort of guy. (I have not been around the world.) He grew up in St Louis, I believe. Read his blog, "Inthepresentsea." Great reading and great photos. He makes his living by writing. You will learn a lot of sailing on small boats.

I used to go sailing on Storm Lake, Iowa with my than girlfriend and it was a blast. As was she. I also went out on the Mississippi river out of Davenport. Mostly on a small runabout but still a boat and you can learn a lot of boat handling skills on a small power boats. I ended up many years later working in Long Beach, Calif. where I took sailing lessons, bought a 32' Kettenburg Sloop and the cruising life was on. Also there are a lot of lakes in Minn. and Wisconsin so you can always try for a weekend once you get out of school. Or before if you can talk a friend into going with. But wait until summer as the winters in Iowa are brutal. Than you just have to watch out for the bugs.

Now as to earning a living cutting hair etc. I would think there would always be people who would need your services. Especially in the larger more posh marinas. I get my hair cut as needed and once in a while my nails done and I am a guy. I am not gay. I always select a women cosmetologist because, A. I like women. B. They smell better. C. I like to be pampered, by a women.

Lets face it you won't need a lot of money. The clothes you probably have. Food is cheap and you can help with the prep and shopping. I am sure since you are from Iowa you can cook. You will learn the rest as you go along. Just save a bit of money so you can fly home from anywhere. Than you will be self reliant and not have to depend on anyone.

Now, I say go for it! Especially since you are young. You will find a lot of boats where you will be welcome. I used to belong to the Alameda Yacht Club and we always ran a program to attract women sailers. We taught them to sail and provided the boats they always were welcome.

If you ever get to the Northwest you will find a lot of guys who have no mates but have nice boats. It can be cold here though even in the summer. At any rate, Fair Winds and good luck, Sunseeker. (I don't know about the tats)
Old 05-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
Rear Admiral

Home Port: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Coyote

BoPeep is right about many cruisers not having a lot of excess money for luxuries. I don't think that is the end of the story, though.

First, you will be a cruiser, too and will be learning to live on air. You won't need to make 50K/year or more to have a good life, but you will need to learn to do without, re-use, salvage, fix, etc.

Second, cruisers are not your only market. My experience is mostly in Mexico, so I can't speak for other areas, but there are MANY ex-pat Americans and Canadians with plenty of money living in those areas. They want good service and they want to speak English. Buying a 20 dollar haircut from an American rather than a 3 dollar haircut from a Mexican gives a comfort level and a bit of home that they seek and and makes sense in their life. I know a couple guys making a good living building in Mexico making 8 times what the locals make. They speak English and have more or less American values or at least can speak to people in those terms. This has value to moderately wealth retirees.

Study sales as well as sails.

Learning to live the gypsy life is a great skill which affords you freedom and possibly happiness. At the same time, understand the motivations of people who are not willing or able to live that life allows you to earn in one world and live in another.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
Ensign

MissD,

Working conditions are just awful for hair cuts when cruising!

follow your heart! Don't be held back. I often see young people who go crusing as MUCH more resourceful and independent.

[media]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=pCN9t4N_IdQ[/media]

That's me in the chair....

Greg

Our Home page - www.svguenevere.com
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:38 AM   #9
Ensign

Hello it has been a while sense being back.

Well I have talked to the Man I will be sailing with and all Is go. Currently he is out and handing out my cards prior to me joining him in Jan/Fed. I will be getting on In Florida somewhere and going where ever the winds take us. I have quite a bit or marketing in my background so I will be able to get the word out there. I will have everything I need in Boat mostly. Some things will need to be Special Ordered such as hair color.

He has talked to some females and a handful of females when he has been at dock about me offering these services and quite a few are interested. We are still trying to figure out how this will be executed completely.

This is my business card. I think my prices are fair for my services. They are just about at normal Mall salon prices. I will also be open to trade for items we may need. Please if you have any input let me know.

The blank spot is to put the radio station we will be on when at dock.

Here is my Temporary Portfoilo until I have finished my website. My portfolio will always be in the works though.

Click to see my Portfolio

Ps this is me so you can put a face with a name. I will be on here more offten learning as much as I can about sailing.

Old 06-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
Ensign

You should definitely look into this. It sounds like an amazing opportunity. If anything, get lessons on how to sail before hand. Then talk to your potential employer about the pros and cons of the job. See if there is a demand for what you do out there. Good Luck!

*FYI, I'm helping spread this link around for State Farm
YachtClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:41 PM   #11
Ensign

The person I am sailing with is just a friend of mine. This is my graduation present really from him. So im just along for the ride but being taught as we go.

He sails all year around and he says there is a need out there for it. At least from fellow Cruisers he has met in his travels.

Do you think the prices are fair?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #12
Ensign

Ahhhh those green rolling hills of Iowa! I think you will have a lot of fun as you pursue your vocation on the high seas. Or should I say as you visit the marinas off the high seas. Your prices are just about one half of what I pay here in WA State. But your shop expenses will be a lot less. So there will be more money left over for you. Also you will not need to earn a lot of money.

I suppose you are going to stay in the Southern Latitudes. There will be more people there, and more tourists, so they will worry about their looks. Not that we up North don't worry about our looks but if you are trying to avoid freezing to death it is hard to think about the length of your hair. Look at the Eskimos.

With this weather, I have been trying not to get cabin fever. Rain, rain, rain and more rain. We get one day of sunshine and all the boaters crawl out of their caves, shower, shave and then the rains start again. What ever happened to global warming?

A Sunseeker, from 48 degrees North.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #13
Ensign

Yep the lovely Green and Muddy hills of Iowa. It has been pouring cats and dogs all week with no end in site. At this point the girls from school and I are going to build a arc. Ha Ha. I feel your pain of Washington. I lived in Portland for 4 years. Yep rain all the time. But it was not like Iowa. No thunder and Lightning with sideways rain.

We will be traveling all over. We have a list of places we are trying to check off.

Corcovado,Brazil

Machu Picchu

Chichén Itzá,Mexico

Taj Mahal

Pyramids of Giza and ride a camel.

Easter Island

The Great Wall

Iguazu Falls

Great Barrier Reef

Stonehenge

Loch Ness

Italy - Venice, Rome,Vatican City and Pisa

Athens Greece

London and see Big Ben, Parliament and Big Red Bus

Romania And See Dracula's Castle

Munich For Oktoberfest ( September and October)

Fussen Germany to see the "Disney" Castle

Sweden to meet my ancestors

Terracotta Army - China

Dubi

Highland games, Braemar, Scotland ( September)

Yeah Can you say Holy Bucket list?

I am not paying to crew. In exchange he is paying my student loans monthly as well as food and what not and Im along for the ride. Only thing I really have to worry about while paying at seas is making a dent in my bills in collections from medical ( God bless it health care )

I will be down in the Keys and Bahamas From Dec 18th to the 28th on the cat. So possibly could meet up with some of you and say hello. I am very excited to get out on the seas
Old 06-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #14
Ensign

Well you certainly have the next 5-10 years of your life figured out. Better get out of the Keys before the oil gets there! My heart goes out and I feel very sorry for all those folks and the wildlife down there. I haven't seen any pictures of the boats in the marinas and their slime yet, but I bet they also are getting it. Such a disaster!!
Old 06-25-2010, 06:52 PM   #15
Admiral

Actually, the first incursions of oil into Florida are up north in the Panhandle, (near the Alabama border) just the past few days. Nothing has reached the Keys yet, and nothing on the west central coast of Florida, either (Tampa Bay, Fort Myers, the Everglades).

I have a serious bone to pick with all the news media, who have sensationalized this disaster and created a worse disaster for the entire Gulf Coast. As I said, until earlier this week there was no oil on Florida beaches, and it still hasn't gone very far. Yet the news actors hasn't bothered to mention this, and the beautiful white beaches are empty of tourists and the resorts, hotels, motels are empty. Tourists have cancelled their trips for no reason except that they haven't been told the whole truth of the situation by the news shows. That's irresponsible sensationalism, IMO.

The news has become part of the problem. It seems obvious to me that they are shedding crocodile tears for the region in their grab for viewers and ratings.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanneP' date='25 June 2010 - 11:52 AM View Post

Tourists have cancelled their trips for no reason except that they haven't been told the whole truth of the situation by the news shows. That's irresponsible sensationalism, IMO.

The news has become part of the problem. It seems obvious to me that they are shedding crocodile tears for the region in their grab for viewers and ratings.
It is irresponsible, but you'd think the tourists would do a little investigating on their own before canceling trips. If I had plans to visit, I'd want to get there "before" it all gets ruined by oil considering it could take a long time for things to recover...but hey, that's me. I felt that way about New Orleans--a city I love to visit. I was saddened that I hadn't visited New Orleans in the two years before Katrina since many of the areas I loved to visit were hard hit by the flood waters.

Along the lines of tourists staying away because of bad press--in 1992, I had a wonderful chance to visit the remote area of Northern Pakistan which borders Afghanistan; I didn't do the trip because of news reports regarding dangers in the region and US State Department warnings. Turns out it was hogwash (at the time) and I should have visited. Later in the decade, it became very unsafe for Americans to visit the area and now, sadly, the region has changed so much due to local economic factors and to the war in Afghanistan that even many local people have fled the area and the way of life has changed--it is no longer safe for even Pakistani peoples to visit. I missed an opportunity to see a very special place which will never be "as it was" and I missed it due to sensationalism in the press on the most part. That does make me careful to sift through the press and figure things out on my own these days.

Old 06-26-2010, 05:28 AM   #17
Admiral

Some very wise words there from Redbopeep.

In travel, as in anything else, it pays to do your homework! I have been to many places, well off the beaten track, and against government recommendations and, alll in all, very welcoming, good hearted people. There are probably more "bad guys" in London and New York than in many of the world's "high risk areas".

What this means, getting back to MissD's plans, is that we all should try to live our dreams but before taking risks should make our own assessment of the situation based upon all available knowledge. In some cases that will include journalists' reports but, with a little sifting through these, the core truth often can be found. Just avoid newspapers which live on the worst forms of scaremongering.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #18
Ensign

Yeah I am hoping that when I am in the Keys and Bahamas in Dec it has not reached yet. I have the option in Jan/Feb to leave out of any port. He will fly me out of where I need to be picked up at.

Question though getting to back to what I was asking. Are the prices I have listed fair?
Also Next month I will be going up to The Twin Cities and doing some shopping for gear. He will have the boat in the great lakes so we are doing it now instead of later so I dont have to fly it all down with me in Dec.

I am looking at Keen Sandals currently and not sure what brand of coats yet. Any suggestions on what keen shoes and what brand of coat?
Old 06-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #19
Admiral

Go to West Marine I am not recommending that you buy anything from them, but check out the foul weather gear and shoes. You do not want to wear street shoes on the boat. Leather-soled shoes will be slippery. For comfort when off the road I wear Crocs, but arthritis makes Crocs so appeasling to me. They are much nicer looking now than when they were first introduced.

Personally, I don't buy expensive foul weather gear.

If you will be sailing from the Bahamas to the Caribbean in winter, you will want foul weather trousers as well as a jacket. Most important, though, is a safety harness. A combination PFD (Personal Flotation Device) and harness, such as SOSpenders, is good.

Your rates - probably a tad high for the Bahamas, not bad for the Caribbean. I'd also try to be minimalist with your supplies, and a compact case to carry them to other boats when necessary. Not really knowing what salon supplies you are thinking of stocking on the boat, though, I'm probably not the best person to advise you what to bring, but remember that boats do not have very convenient places to stow things, and refrigeration is minimal and food will take priority.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:16 AM   #20
Ensign

I have 2 roll abouts full of stuff. The roll abouts are 3 feet high by 12 inches by 12 inches. These two hold almost all of my work items.

What do you think fair prices for the Bahamas would be?

The boat is nice sized 40 foot cat. ( i hope the pics show up)