Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 11-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
Ensign

Hello!

I'm taking a navigation and boating course in sweden right now, and also working as a volunteer on repairing a ship. Still I have little experience of sailing and I'd like to learn it in south america. I've been all over the web to find a course or a ship to work on to learn to sail, but with no good result. All I find are expensive sailing holidays. My ultimate goal is to a find a boat to hitch across the atlantic, if possible back home to europe after learning to sail. Anyone have any ideas on how to to find a course or a boat to learn to sail in the caribbean or south america? Preferebly where spanish is spoken and where living is not so expensive?

Best regards and thanks, Olof

Old 11-09-2008, 06:25 PM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

If you're trying to learn "on the cheap" why not volunteer for some of the local sailors there in Sweden? Lots of boats there, you know. Then, once you've picked up a bit of sailing skill, you'll be a more desirable crew member for folks cruising and would probably easily find a spot using the crew finder.

Best of luck to you in your search.

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
If you're trying to learn "on the cheap" why not volunteer for some of the local sailors there in Sweden? Lots of boats there, you know.
It is winter in Sweden now and there will be very few boats left in the water at this time of year. Easter weekend is usually the first sail of the season.

But yes, lots of boats. The population is about 9 million and there are about a million pleasure boats and then there is the Royal Swedish Navy, the merchant navy and the fishing fleet as well as the Coast Guard and other authorities with ships and boats. All in all, a lot of people on the water but if one wants to sail at this time of year then the best way to do it is to head for someplace warm. Even the Navy lays up its two topsail schooners wintertime.

Aye // Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:11 AM   #4

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
It is winter in Sweden now and there will be very few boats left in the water at this time of year. Easter weekend is usually the first sail of the season.

But yes, lots of boats. The population is about 9 million and there are about a million pleasure boats and then there is the Royal Swedish Navy, the merchant navy and the fishing fleet as well as the Coast Guard and other authorities with ships and boats. All in all, a lot of people on the water but if one wants to sail at this time of year then the best way to do it is to head for someplace warm. Even the Navy lays up its two topsail schooners wintertime.

Aye // Stephen
yes, I know it is winter but I didn't know there was a situation where this person just had to start sailing right this minute!

Much preparation and study can be done by Olof in the months between now and spring so that when spring arrives, Olof is well prepared for some sailing.

Of course, there's always the sport of Ice Sailing which we take part in on the frozen lakes of northern MN here in the USA

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:20 AM   #5
Ensign

I'm doing all I can to learn as much as I can, but winter is here and not many boats are out. All I've been doing the past months(year!) is working my *** off, and now I want to skip the last chapter the swedish winter which is not very warm when you work as a bike messenger, but what I wanna do most is learn to sail now, and be ready when the summer comes in sweden. Anyone been to Central america and south america? Maybe you can just hang around some ports and find someone to volunteer for? Or find a local that will teach you for a fee, and not the "lets go out cruising and we do all the work and you pay us good money" kind of company. But I'm willing to pay money to take a course or go to a sailing school also.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by olof View Post
I'm doing all I can to learn as much as I can, but winter is here and not many boats are out.
Hi Olof,

Spring there in South America and nice weather to sail..

May I suggest you to post an ad to the largest brasilian forum : http://www.nautica.com.br/forum/

Good Luck

ANCORA LATINA
Ancoralatina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
Rear Admiral

Ancoralatina,

I looked at your site, but see no translation to English? I love Brasil. I drove from Cuiaba to Rio, north to Mackae, and back to Cuiaba. A BEAUTIFUL country, and nice people too!
Old 11-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I love Brasil. A BEAUTIFUL country, and nice people too!
Hi Imagine2,

Many thanks for your kind coments about my country!

Yes my site (Ancora Latina) has an English version. The URL I gave previously is the one of the biggest Brazilian forum and the place where you can make contacts with the Brazilian sailing community.

Yes it is 100% in Portuguese, like English and American Forums are 100% in English, and it helps to speak a few foreign languages..

Can I do something to help you ?

Joćo

Ancora Latina

ANCORA LATINA
Old 11-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #9
Ensign

Hi, cool site! But I had my mind on a spanish speaking country close to the caribbean. I've googled and found a school in puerto rico that has a 10 day cruise where you can learn something called ASA 101, 103 and 104, classes standarized by American sailing associationgs, and also Open water certificate and the price is 1800 dollars, its kinda hefty but thats exactly what I want to learn, and my friend wants to learn to dive also. What do you think?

It would be nice if you could just fly down to the caribbean or Venezuela and just hang around a port and find someone willing to teach you for a charge lesser than those of sailing schools, where you can cook and do all those stuff yourself without that adding to the price, but I'm a to nervous to just fly down and hope everything works out. What do you think? Do most ports in caribbean have sailing schools or somewhere to learn to sail? BTW, anyone wanna tag along to puerto rico, learn to sail and dive
Old 11-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #10
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancoralatina View Post
Hi Imagine2,

Many thanks for your kind coments about my country!

Yes my site (Ancora Latina) has an English version. The URL I gave previously is the one of the biggest Brazilian forum and the place where you can make contacts with the Brazilian sailing community.

Yes it is 100% in Portuguese, like English and American Forums are 100% in English, and it helps to speak a few foreign languages..

Can I do something to help you ?

Joćo

Ancora Latina
It is good to hear from you Joćo. Although I am out of context here (i.e. this has nothing to do with Olof's post) I am of the opinion that we all benefit by establishing contacts accross the language barrier and that deserves to be said. I hope to see more of your posts here.

I too must add that I love your country. I have only been in Vitoria but what a beautiful place.

Kindest regards

Obrigada!

Stephen

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU DID SOMETHING FOR THE FIRST TIME?

www.nausikaa.org.uk

= Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Lithuania
Nausikaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:40 PM   #11
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nausikaa View Post
I am of the opinion that we all benefit by establishing contacts accross the language barrier and that deserves to be said. I hope to see more of your posts here.
Many thanks to you too Stephen, (obrigadO– ObrigadA if you are a woman! )

Unfortunately Brazil is like many other countries, they are only few people who can speak (and write) a decent English.

There is an interesting nautical market here, growing rapidly - with a quite big number of manufacturers who are producing interesting boats, usually much cheaper than equivalent boats from USA or Europe.

Cruising grounds are beautiful, very few marinas, but plenty of well sheltered (free) anchorages,

Florianopolis, the place where I live:http://www.visitefloripa.com.br/setur/ - http://www.costao.com.br/versoes/ingles/

Paraty: http://www.paraty.com.br/iindex.asp http://www.paraty.tur.br/indexen.php

Ilha Grande – Angra dos Reis and the 365 islands. : http://www.ilhagrande.com.ar/?sel_lang=en

http://www.ilhagrandeadventure.com/index_ing.htm

Those are just a few to make you dreaming!

Kindest regards to you too – and I apologize to Olof for squatting his thread!

ANCORA LATINA
Old 11-12-2008, 06:57 AM   #12
Retired Mod

Home Port: Durban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancoralatina View Post
Cruising grounds are beautiful, very few marinas, but plenty of well sheltered (free) anchorages,
Sorry to hi-jack the thread even more but Joćo, we hope that you will assist to build the Brazil Section of the Cruising Wiki.

Welcome aboard.

The World Cruising & Sailing Wiki

Help to build this free, online World Cruising Guide.

"Built by cruisers, for cruisers''

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: Most sections
Lighthouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
america, south america