Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 09-09-2008, 05:29 AM   #1
Ensign

Hi, hope this is the correct place to post this. We have found that our boat - a 68ft mahogany ketch has had a previous life. She was launched La Flute Enchantee and sailed the med and West indies and carribean. does any one know her from that time - we would love to find out more about her past.

regards Gail

Old 09-09-2008, 06:15 AM   #2

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee
Quote:
Originally Posted by gails View Post
Hi, hope this is the correct place to post this. We have found that our boat - a 68ft mahogany ketch has had a previous life. She was launched La Flute Enchantee and sailed the med and West indies and carribean. does any one know her from that time - we would love to find out more about her past.

regards Gail
Welcome, Gail.

Someone here may know her, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. How long have you had her? Are you currently cruising? Or, have plans to do so? Please tell us more!

Fair winds,

Brenda

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
Admiral

Gail,

When was this 68ft Ketch "La Flute Enchantee" (The Magic Flute - Mozart) launched ?

What year, what country, is there no Chiseled Beam showing Tonnage.

What do her papers show ? Port of Registry ?

What about a photo ?
Old 09-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
Ensign

hi,

thanks for the interest.

we are just about to leave Greece for Singapore. A trip of a year in the planning.

She was launched in 1974 - built at Nautic Saintonge designed by Mr Auzepy Brenneur.

Her first flag was French and her name comes from the original owners love of opera and particularly Mozart. He actually had the saloon painted in pictures from the opera.

Things have changed since then but we love the original name are are very keen to find out more about her and return her to this name.

She is one of five boats built to this design and the first did the original Whitbread in 1973 under the name of KRITER. for wooden boat buff - there is a great site for this yacht - kriter.tv - good photos and her story. Ours is almost identical - the dream is to get her to the final stage ofthe Kriter restoration.

Click image for larger version

Name:	castaliamainjpg.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	607

I will try and attach a photo - if it not too big.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #5
Admiral

Gail, what is this boat's present name - what is her port of registry ?

May I suggest that once you arrive at the entrance to the Gulf of Aden that you proceed to the

Coalition Forces Base in Djibouti and there provide them with your passage plan etc.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:30 PM   #6
Ensign

we are going to do that - thanks.

she is presently called Castalia and her port it Fremantle in western australia.

her present name is a nymph from delphi who could not make up her mind and also the name of a mental hospital in Athens.

hence we think it needs a change.

cheers
Old 04-26-2014, 10:19 PM   #7
Ensign

Home Port: paris

hi ,
My father commissioned nautic saintonge in 1973 to built la flute enchantée and he took me once down there to see it after launching.
At that time paintings from the opera were not achieved by opera decorator and friend Daniel Louradour .
From this time to 1981 when he sold it , skipper was jean-francois prehel who was quite well knowned in the chartered yachts in the west indies at that time because he spread out with other skippers the 6 pm radio chat to exchange informations , she raced several times the Antigua week , and after used to sail back to antibes , France before sailing down to Greece for the summer season . She was registered in Panama . Unfortunately The skipper died in 1981 aged of 36 in motorcycle crash in the south of France and he decided to sell it to a greek friend of his fornamed Athanase who kept the boat until ? As a matter of facts i lost connection with my Dad and Athanase. I cruised only during summer 78 in the caribean . My father was running in co-ownership Kriter from the first Whitbread race around the world in which Kriter ranked third with another man called Pierre Daboussy who was quite famous as a skipper in Saint Marteen in the 70's , he died of a cancer in 83 or 84 aged of 65 and Kriter was sold then to some American gentleman , she was also during this period charterd in the Caribean during the winter and in Greece during the summer. I sailed in the Caribean with that great skipper during the summer 75 . The charter business was a source of pride and few leisures for my father but a loss of money , and i think he was quite relieved to sell this two ladies after all in a period of time when politicians in France were very left handed and already (sic) chasing and harassing entrepreneurs !
Hope you post a photo one of these days ! these ladies ships were great boats at sea , very powerfull and comfortable ! wish you the best !
Old 04-26-2014, 10:23 PM   #8
Ensign

Home Port: paris

hi ,
My father commissioned nautic saintonge in 1973 to built la flute enchantée and he took me once down there to see it after launching.
At that time paintings from the opera were not achieved by opera decorator and friend Daniel Louradour .
From this time to 1981 when he sold it , skipper was jean-francois prehel who was quite well knowned in the chartered yachts in the west indies at that time because he spread out with other skippers the 6 pm radio chat to exchange informations , she raced several times the Antigua week , and after used to sail back to antibes , France before sailing down to Greece for the summer season . She was registered in Panama . Unfortunately The skipper died in 1981 aged of 36 in motorcycle crash in the south of France and he decided to sell it to a greek friend of his fornamed Athanase who kept the boat until ? As a matter of facts i lost connection with my Dad and Athanase. I cruised only during summer 78 in the caribean . My father was running in co-ownership Kriter from the first Whitbread race around the world in which Kriter ranked third with another man called Pierre Daboussy who was quite famous as a skipper in Saint Marteen in the 70's , he died of a cancer in 83 or 84 aged of 65 and Kriter was sold then to some American gentleman , she was also during this period charterd in the Caribean during the winter and in Greece during the summer. I sailed in the Caribean with that great skipper during the summer 75 . The charter business was a source of pride and few leisures for my father but a loss of money , and i think he was quite relieved to sell this two ladies after all in a period of time when politicians in France were very left handed and already (sic) chasing and harassing entrepreneurs !
Hope you post a photo one of these days ! these ladies ships were great boats at sea , very powerfull and comfortable ! wish you the best !