Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 03-22-2009, 04:39 PM   #21
Ensign

Home Port: Gibraltar
Vessel Name: S/Y Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMNETSEA View Post
I believe I have spoken to you on HF radio a number of times - last year? There are not many boats with the name "Spirit".
Hello Richard,

Thanks for the feedback and I’m glad that I am able to contribute something here, despite not (yet) being a full-time cruiser.

I assume that it was another boat called “Spirit” with whom you were in contact. At the moment the microphone cable of my HF unit is a bit frayed and I’m not even sure it’s working correctly. These issues will be addressed in the summer when I come down next.

My call sign is ZDIT9.

Best regards,

CruisingSpirit

Old 03-22-2009, 10:42 PM   #22
Commander

Home Port: Stockton, MO
Vessel Name: Ceilidh

I can single-hand our Pearson Vanguard very well, so getting this Tartan to fall in line is somewhat important to me. We are going to put a cam-cleated triple where a becketted double is on the bottom of the main sheet where it mounts to the traveller and run it aft to allow the helmsman to release the main if needed. This will keep the racing setup intact yet add to safety. The traveller leads have been lengthened to achieve the same effect. I am working on the Vang solution.

I learned something even more important in all of this... My wife stated that if I left it the way it was, I might need her for something again. Apparently cooking and looking good doesn't keep her busy enough! She seems to miss handling sails?! Wow! How did I get this lucky?

Thanks for everyone's input. Learning so much this year that I may have to take a second vacation!

Spring is starting to look like Spring! We are away from the boat for a few days, this thing called work, and we are boat sick (we miss them both). I wish this house would sell so we can get out there!!!

Best wishes to all,

David & Brenda

Old 03-22-2009, 10:48 PM   #23
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbopeep View Post
Oh, those of us who love our boats are truly "pleased as punch" and that is very close to smug . But, no, never smug

I really am glad that you can visualize how you'll use your boat solo and you're able to do so on this particular boat. So many people try very hard to "get it right" and somehow it doesn't work out for them. I know another fellow who has an absolutely lovely center cockpit boat (oh, I must tell you that I thought we'd end up with a center cockpit boat because they have so many good features....but we did end up aft cockpit after all...) ...back to my story...this guy has a wonderful boat but somehow can't get it all together to solo sail and its just driving him to distraction. So, these things are very, very important.
I learned to sail solo on a 21 ft. Yngling. I think some of the happiest moments of my life occurred when I had the Spinnaker set, the tiller between my knees and I was roaring up the Alpine lake I live on, seeing the water rush by and feeling her react to the tiniest pressure on the tiller or letting the Spi up a bit higher. Sailing alone is unlike anything I’ve ever done and it is a very personal thing.

I still have the Yngling, of course, and she is what keeps me sailing and sane when I can’t fly down to Langkawi and be on Spirit. The way we love our boats is a story unto itself. Mine developed in a way, which is not unusual but certainly effects how I relate to Spirit.

For over 20 years I chartered all the boats I sailed on. So they “belonged” to me for a week. It was a long list of different boats and the boats themselves became longer, over time. On the first day we would set the sails and those first hours getting to know my ship under sail are the ones I treasure most. A sailboat will “talk” to you, if one is willing to listen. And sailboats love giving up their special secrets, as each 1/10th of a knot is carefully negotiated and she starts really moving.

I developed a special bond with every ship I’ve sailed on. But in the end, the week did pass and I had to give her up again. I would then give my list of “required maintenance” to the charter company and she was out of my life.

Life, however, cannot consist of a countless number of “one week stands”.

So, when I found “Spirit” and recognized her and all of her excellent attributes, I really fell in love with her. She now belongs to me and will be sailed only by me. She is my home and an expression of my self.

I have learned that she sails exquisitely but has a mind of her own when backing up under engine power. We are working on this issue. A lot of work needs to be put into her, especially regarding things like her radar and plotter. These will simply be replaced this summer.

But she sails like a dream and all the rest is second tier.

This was originally only to be a short reply and has turned into an “Ode to my Boat”. I wonder whether I should post these comments, but presumably will. At the end of the day, it’s just a story about a guy who could finally love the boat he loves to sail.

And I think you know where I’m coming from.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #24
Commander

Home Port: Stockton, MO
Vessel Name: Ceilidh

Spirit,

I enjoyed your response! Must chime in though... I would agree that it is nice to find that boat to be true to, but I recently experienced something a bit different:

We have a friend that has been out on our older boat twice. It is known that he grew up building model ships, and the sea is in his blood though he had never been on the sea. Last week, after working on our newer boat all Winter, we were set for our mainden voyage, OK test-sail, and we invited he and his girl along. As we left the dock I had the helm which I quickly handed-over to my wife so I could raise sail. As this post mentions, I cannot reach all from the helm, and I wanted to adjust everything my way initially to ensure there were no hidden problems, burr in the sail slide, etc. After setting sail in a light breeze my spouse struck up a conversation with his girl and they became less interested in the boats' performance... go figure! So when I wanted to change some things I instructed him about the Windex and gave him the helm... It was a sight to behold! The glow that emanated from his whole being lit up the evening! Though in his late twenties, he became the sailor in all of his childhood dreams! I spent the rest of the sail experimenting with sail trim, adjusting this and that, and happily coaching our friend through tacks, jibs, and even a bit of wing on wing. He learned about a beam reach, and next off; the spinnaker. We sailed for a few hours into the night well past dark. I only retook the helm in time to experiment in open water so I knew how she stopped, and what she did in reverse before docking. I handed him back the helm as we dropped sail in the harbor and rigged handling lines for him to use when I slid the boat near the dock. When he stepped from the rail near the bow to the dock holding both bow and stearn lines he was still glowing!

You mentioned a boat that "only you could sail", and I just wanted you to know what that could cause you to miss!

You are all such wonderful people,

David
Old 03-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #25
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildernesstech View Post
You mentioned a boat that "only you could sail", and I just wanted you to know what that could cause you to miss!
Wildernestech,

Thanks for the story about your friends as well, which I enjoyed immensely. Perhaps I was unclear in my writing because I extolled the pleasures of sailing solo so enthusiastically. When I stated that “only I would sail her” I was referring to not having to charter her out week after week to anonymous and essentially uncaring crews.

On many of our voyages in the Mediterranean, with crews of eight or nine on board, we often took one or two newcomers sailing with us each trip. All of the older hands would teach them as much seamanship as they were willing to assimilate, while adjusting to the new environment on board. And during the course of the week, I would often see that incredible glow of joy cross their faces when they stood at the helm and learned to steer the craft under sails.

We placed a lot of value on good seamanship, maintaining a polite and happy ship and enjoying all of the culinary delights the Mediterranean has to offer. Over time most of these sailing colleagues have gone on to become well trained and certified skippers in their own right.

I take a lot of pleasure knowing my crew and I were able to turn so many amazing people on to sailing, one of the greatest joys a person can ever know.

CruisingSpirit

PS. Link: http://greyraven.typepad.com/photos/variou...s/imm006_7.html