Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 04-26-2006, 04:35 AM   #1
Ensign

Default Mariner 36 Cutter Rigged

Does anyone have any experience with Mariner 36's? I have been told of one that is available needing interior repairs I am capable of doing. However I have no experience or knowledge of the hulls strengths or weaknesses. I'm looking for a boat for coastal cruising as well as some offshore blue water time. Thanks for any help.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:40 PM   #2
Commander

Al, there have been a number of boats introduced over the year with the 'Mariner' brand name. Perhaps you could ID the boat more specifically - e.g. offering a listing URL of a sistership?

Jack

Old 04-27-2006, 03:44 AM   #3
Ensign

All I know about the boat at this time is what I was told over the phone from a friend. I haven't spoken to the owner as yet so I don't have much in the way of details. I will add more when I can.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:50 AM   #4
Ensign

Well I know a little more about the boat now. It is a 1977 Tayana M36 Hull No. 302 cutter rigged. These boats were built using the original M36 molds in the Tayana yard in Tiawan. I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone with experience on these boats concerning seaworthiness and hull strengths or weaknesses.
Old 04-30-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
Commander

Al, I'm not questioning that is what you were told but it sounds like a mishmash of information to me. Back in the 70's (and continuing for many years) most of the Taiwan yards were incestuous in sharing designs to avoid paying for design rights, swapping or sharing hull molds, and the pedigree of many Taiwan yachts built during that time was quite cloudy. E.g. I don't know what the terms "1977 Tayana M36 Hull No. 302" is referring to, but it looks suspect to me. Bob Perry's original 37 cutter design was being built by CT as the CT-37 in the early/mid-70's and was later branded as a Tayana, perhaps due to financial arrangements being changed in the Taiwan yards. "M36" might be referring to the Mariner design first built in Japan which was later shifted to Taiwan but wasn't successful and folded after a few years, only to be resurrected again by another yard.

The point of all this is that, unless you can trace a boat to a specific yard and also have confidence in the yard's build quality being consistent over time - unlikely back then - you don't really know much about a given hull when hearing about sisterships. E.g. the ballast may be lead, or changed to steel punchings in concrete because that's what they could afford at that point...or even sand, as Terry on VALHALLA was describing to me about one Taiwan built boat from that era.

I'm not saying this boat isn't worth considering; perhaps if you did an extensive personal survey of her, you'd know whether contracting with a professional surveyor would be worth the risk. But you probably won't know much about that one boat based on her sisterships.

Jack
Old 05-01-2006, 06:16 AM   #6
Ensign

Jack

Thank you for your input. To be quite honest I've been getting more leery of this boat with every bit of info I've found. I will take the time to look the boat over but will probably pass on it.