Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-20-2011, 04:05 AM   #1
Commander

A friend of mine has been cruising for 11 years now, and recently lost his boat to a drunken powerboater running into him at high speed at anchor (neither boat is insured). The guy had basically stolen the boat and is a worthless boozer who plead guilty and had a $6900 judgement imposed at $100 per month, starting in August. About worthless, that is...

So my friend sold his boat for $1,000 (with a hole in the bow, the fact that he found someone happy to buy it amazes me) and has about $1,000 more saved up. He might be getting more money from the owner of the boat (the drunks father), but for now this is what he has to work with.

Short-term, he's looking for almost anything with standing headroom. He's 6'4" so I'm assuming he means more than his height, which I realize is a tall order.

Long-term he wants something between 30' and 40' that is functionally mobile (engine works, sails are good, sail systems work). He's taking tons of parts from his boat to go on the next one, and can fix just about anything although obviously he's not looking for a long-term project (he's 55).

He is willing to travel pretty much anywhere in the country for the right boat / deal, so I am asking all of you to help me look for something for him.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
Ensign

There's a couple boats on their sides in the hurricane hole at the VA in Madeira Beach. Might be able to find one there pretty cheep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafarer View Post

A friend of mine has been cruising for 11 years now, and recently lost his boat to a drunken powerboater running into him at high speed at anchor (neither boat is insured). The guy had basically stolen the boat and is a worthless boozer who plead guilty and had a $6900 judgement imposed at $100 per month, starting in August. About worthless, that is...

So my friend sold his boat for $1,000 (with a hole in the bow, the fact that he found someone happy to buy it amazes me) and has about $1,000 more saved up. He might be getting more money from the owner of the boat (the drunks father), but for now this is what he has to work with.

Short-term, he's looking for almost anything with standing headroom. He's 6'4" so I'm assuming he means more than his height, which I realize is a tall order.

Long-term he wants something between 30' and 40' that is functionally mobile (engine works, sails are good, sail systems work). He's taking tons of parts from his boat to go on the next one, and can fix just about anything although obviously he's not looking for a long-term project (he's 55).

He is willing to travel pretty much anywhere in the country for the right boat / deal, so I am asking all of you to help me look for something for him.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #3
Commander

Thanks for the tip, but could you be more specific?

I'm not sure what you mean by "on their side". Simply blown ashore, or blown ashore and filled with rain and basically sank and then stripped of everything valuable?

Are these of a decent size?

I never knew about that "hurricane hole" before, but using Google Maps Satellite view and centering it on Madeira Beach it was very obvious where you were talking about. I noticed it even before seeing the VA right next to it. That place looks amazingly safe! Zoomed all the way in, I could even count the portlights on the boats and see their shadows on the water.

What is the depth in there, and is the entrance maintained (dredged)?