Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 07-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #21

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

How big is that boat of yours? I really have forgotten.

You're looking at re-doing the whole boat (all systems as I recall) and that's never as inexpensive as just finding a good used boat with most all the stuff working/in good shape. Really. If money is one of your primary concerns, you need to sit down and seriously thing about it. Too many people on a too-tight budget never make it out cruising because they chose to invest in fixing up a "good deal" boat to make it into a good cruising boat.

On the other hand, if you are like many DIY folks, having the opportunity to fix things just the way you want them is worth the expense of spending more than you would have if you'd bought a boat with good systems and all. We fall into this latter group of control freaks who want everything just the way we want it... LOL. And, yup we spend more than we should on that privilege.

Our primary philosophy has been that the core elements of the boat are the most important to spend money on keeping in shape: hull, rig, sails, basic nav lights and depth sounder, ground tackle, safety equipment, and then (on a boat over 30') engine. All those things come before any comfort systems or electronics.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:04 AM   #22
Admiral

Home Port: Bundarra, NSW
Vessel Name: None

The Hartley Queenslander is variously cited as being anywhere between 33-35ft depending on how it's measured. Not huge by any stretch of the imagination. Registration shows her as 10.35 metres (34ft).

She came with a fresh repaint and antifoul of the hull, a major expense already taken last year by the previous owner. There is also a new battery, solar panel and nav lights fitted and the mast has been painted and fitted with LEDs. I did pretty well.

The urgent work is in fixing the engine, without which it would be nigh impossible to leave and return from the swing mooring safely, at least without far greater sailing skills than I possess at present. There's an Evinrude outboard with the yacht (extra long shaft, high thrust) that can be attached in the short term to get to a jetty to load my junk aboard and offload the diesel engine for repairs.

I have no idea of the condition of the main and two jibs that were included. There's one anchor and chain, a fire extinguisher, several safety vests and an ancient 4-burner stove. There's also a depth sounder, condition unknown, but I can fix most anything with electronics in it.

The last guy bought a Raymarine 2000 autopilot and a stainless wheel (currently has tiller steering) but these need to be fitted. The toilet is brand new but doesn't have a storage tank so I'll need a portable for use inshore in many locations. In all it's probably more than adequate for most people's usage, just puttering about inside Sydney Harbour. I plan to go a little further than that.

I've already bought HF and VHF radios - my exam for the licence is 8pm tonight - and currently negotiating a small switchboard to be built. Also have a notebook PC (IBM Lenovo ThinkPad plus docking station) with OpenCPN and a GPS unit with external antenna. I'll buy an EPIRB once I decide to venture outside the heads.

One of my other radios will be converted to receive AIS, which will be overlaid onto OpenCPN. For internet while inshore I'll be fitting a high powered wi-fi panel found on eBay. It may seem that the emphasis on communications gear is over the top, bear in mind that I'm physically in Brisbane at present and can't do anything much else on the structure or engine until I return to Sydney.

Internally the yacht needs a good clean - a woman's work is never done! - and maybe a few new cushions. Table and bench surfaces are showing heavy wear and will be replaced. There is some minor rot in the cabin in the plywood panelling but the weather stays outside where it belongs. Otherwise she's structurally fairly good.

Again, I have to concur that bringing her up to perfect condition would be an expensive exercise. But good clean Hartleys fetch $25-35K on average so there's plenty of leeway from where I started. Frankly I don't ever expect to get back what I put in dollar for dollar, but this is a long-term venture for me and will be my home for the foreseeable future, which is at least 10 years. When you compare the costs to renting in Sydney it's a no-brainer.

Rob

I've Contributed to the Cruisers Wiki: All sections
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:19 AM   #23
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Hey Rob,

I reckon you did just fine with your Queenslander. Even calculating your rent at only $100 a week thats 50 grand over 10 years so you are well in front. As you become more familiar with living on the water and gain in experience you will find cheaper ways of doing things and less expensive ways of living aboard.

Its a great size boat for one or two people and small enough to single hand without too much difficulty.

A headsail furler, auto pilot and lines leading back to the cockpit and bobs your uncle, single handed sailing made easy.

Good on ya mate,

Lexx
Old 07-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #24
Admiral

...and the last time you could rent a shoebox in Sydney for $100pw was 1980.

The MROCP exam was a snack.

Rob

Old 07-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #25
Capt'n

Home Port: Port Douglas
Vessel Name: S/V Travesty

Laughs ..I know I used to like in a tiny 2 bed terrace in Lilyfield that was 650 a week about 7 years ago. I was using a hundred bucks a week and a low base line to show that whatever you have to spend on your yacht its still a bargain.

Congrats on the exam.

Lexx
Old 07-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #26

Home Port: Washington DC
Vessel Name: SV Mahdee

Ah, it is a managable size for small crew, I'm glad. When I did a quick online search of your engine--I saw that it is often the engine on boats of about 40ft in length (and 50 hp?) so I was thinking your vessel a bit larger.

Indeed, it is a cost saving measure to live aboard vs paying rent--if you're doing so in a place where living aboard is allowed and feasible. Enjoy your projects. As long as local reg. is reasonable and you're not really benefiting in some other way from national registration, I'd still suggest not doing the national registration until you know this boat will be leaving AU though.

Fair winds,

What we're doing - The sailing life aboard and the Schooner Chandlery.

redbopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #27
Admiral

They develop 50hp at 4000rpm but no-one in their right mind would run one that hard. More like 35hp at 2500rpm.

Yep, national registration can wait a couple of years.

Rob