Go Back   Cruiser Log World Cruising & Sailing Forums > Cruising Forums > General Cruising Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login

Join Cruiser Log Today

Old 12-07-2007, 04:35 PM   #41
Wanabee

Home Port: Wirral

Just a thought but if you wanted to convert a ketch to a junk rig, you might want to start from something like a Cat Ketch which already has a couple of stayless masts - Freedoms, for example, start at about 33ft and go up to just over 40. That said, my guess is that, if you were going for one of these you might just as well stick with the existing set-up.

See ya!

Old 01-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #42
Ensign

Hello John.

I am also new here and new to the "dream". We are in the process of selling our home and becoming debt free. We are looking for a boat in the same price range and plan to have around the same monthly income. My husband is extremely handy and I feel confident sailing with him. Living on a boat and traveling has been a life long dream of my husband and I also. We have raised four children (all in college) and feel this is a great time for us too. I love your dream and "YES" it is realistic. I have ran the numbers over and over again. With a little luck and hard work we'll all be great. Start looking for you boat now. Get your feet on board and smell the ocean! Let's keep in touch.

Darcy

Old 01-14-2008, 05:33 PM   #43
Admiral

Home Port: Who cares really...
Vessel Name: T
Send a message via Yahoo to Trim50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeratlas View Post
You can read all the sailing magazines, books, and forums like this in the world but until you get out there in a blow in the middle of the night and the power goes dead...you won't really know if sailing is the life for you

now just to be fair, there really are those idyllic days on the hook, sunset splashing an amazing array of colors across the westward horizon, a warm breeze caressing the fronds of the palms into seductive and almost hypnotic waves to the tempo of the rhythmic lapping of the sea at the shoreline; the sounds of seabirds reassuring their mates that all is well as they return to their evening roosts, the delightful smells of fresh seafood sizzling on the grill tempered with subtle (and sometimes NOT so subtle) aromas of mysterious and exotic spices..., that glass of your favorite beverage, whatever it may be, sitting there held close in the palm of your hand, and if you're lucky, the knowing smile, understanding and comraderie eloquently communicated without words by a fellow being and kindred spirit.
I'm sold!
Old 01-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #44
Rear Admiral

SEER,

You salesman YOUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!
Old 05-31-2008, 04:25 AM   #45
Ensign

Hello All, I really hope every one is doing well.

I return home today from a short trip to FL. to buy my boat, i wanted to give an update.

She is a 1979 Morgan O.I. 33' to me she is a work of beauty but in need for a few repairs. I hope to have her bottom painted and replace the Hoses and belts within the next few weeks and my plan is to motor her from Port Charlotte, FL to Jacksonville by way of the ICW when the work is done and i have made the arangements at the marina there. I understand that the depth in lake Obkeechobee is too low right now but i will have to reseach that soon.

well i will go for now and add more after i get moved aboard.

John

PS to John Thank you so much for your help, you are great people.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:03 PM   #46
Admiral

Here's a link to Lake Okeechobee depth reports: http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/h2o/reports/r-nav.txt

Last year when we crossed Lake Okeechobee in May, we hit bottom twice, once when we strayed slightly (very slightly) out of the channel, and again at one spot in the marked channel. MV Watermelon draws 2.5'.

Crossing the lake saves so much time, so pray for rain. As little as anyone wants hurricanes or tropical storms, the rain that a tropical storm usually brings would go a long way to filling the lake up again. So. pray for rain.

SY WATERMELON |
MV WATERMELON (New) | Cruiser's Dictionary, free ebook

= Cruiser's Dictionary, North America,
JeanneP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:41 AM   #47
Ensign

Hello All, Well i just return from spending a few days on the boat to survey what all work needs to be done, boy do i have a list. I would like to talk about the things listed in hopes other that know more than i will offer some ideas to maybe save some money. 33 FT. Morgan O.I. 1979 Perkins 50Hp. 4108. The motor was checked two weeks ago, it started and was run about 15 minutes off a jerry can, Has a leak that i could not locate around the back of the oil pan. All i really cared was it start. Fuel tank needs drain and clean. Prop turn both ways with no strange sounds. The boat has a wheel tiller, when the wheel was turn the rudder did not move, the wheel turn free and easy, when i looked below there is a cable broke. I started with the inside as it was very Hot in FL the first day. The first thing i checked was the Batteries there are 2 of them 650 cold AMPs the date on them 4-08. I next checked cabin lights, all but one light work they are old and may replace just for looks, I then tried to fire up the Ice box, i was unable to find any switch labled for it but found a number unlable, i changed the fuse at the unit but still nothing. I then hooked up the shore power and located a breaker box, what i found here i did not like, second hand workmenship. I found a total of 4 A/C outlet on the boat no A/C lights, I then tried to fire up the Mermaid Air Unit, I could not find any switch other than the one right on the front of the unit, I did not have any power to the unit, unable to test. I then went to test the fresh water pump but again i was unable to locate any switch, the pump is located right under the Galley sink but no power to pump. The Manual water pump worked just find, but with the boat on the hard i would think there is not water. Am i right the Manual pump is Saltwater??? The next thing was the stove, I worked fine but feel i should replace the burners units. I then went on to the Tankage, Raw tank in under settee 35gal Bag and it is close to being full. There are two PVC Tanks, One under the V Berth and other under Capt. Berth together i have to guess they are 70 gal. I was hoping to get them drained while there but is was not done. When i got the boat i was told that a hatch was left open and water stood inside the boat, I started taking up the floor to find and water damage, other than a small discolor of the Teak i was unable to even tell there was water in it. The Floor needs to be painted or something. It looks like a floor that was painted years ago and the paint wore off. I love the look of Oak so i am thinking of an overlay of Oak on the floor. All the Teak in the Cabin looks in very good shape, I am not a big fan of the very dark wood so i hope to think of a way to make it lighter. The Fabric inside the Cabin on the walls has a few lose places and needs paint, i did not see any cuts at all. The celling in the cabin is in very nice shape, a coat of paint and it is done. I then went out side to test all the lights, lol the bow light worked that is all. In the cockpit i made a list of the gages Depth, hour,temp, RPM, AMP,Oil and speed none have been tested. The Compass was not onboard, being ship along with a few other thing. One thing that was not listed in the add of the boat was an Auto helm at this time I do not know if it works. Sails Jib roller furling 2001, Main 2007 2 Reef points (never used) sail covers. Ropes top side look old, replacement ropes below. 10 of the 12 Cleats are Teak wood and need to be replaced. 4 Winches, working fine, as for the rest of the rigging I plan to have a pro look at it all. Ok for a run down, I plan to have a lot of work did but I would like to do as much or it as I can myself, as for the motor I will have a pro take care of it. I talk to a man $85 an hour and about 8 hours of work is what he thinks on it. I am not sure yet if I should just go ahead and replace the motor? I plan to pay the yard to paint the bottom, Just because I am lazy. I plan to rewire the cabin and all lights myself (not motor) Drain and clean tanks myself. Have pro do ice box and A/C unit. There is no Bimini so I do not know if I will make it or have done. Well i think that is a good start, I knew this would be a fixer up when i got the boat and feel like i got a good buy on it at the price, Right now i am thinking i have around $5,000 to $7,000 in repairs. Do you think that i am in the ball park with that range? Thank you, John
Old 06-07-2008, 06:39 AM   #48
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnar View Post
Hello All, Well i just return from spending a few days on the boat to survey what all work needs to be done, boy do i have a list. I knew this would be a fixer up when i got the boat and feel like i got a good buy on it at the price, Right now i am thinking i have around $5,000 to $7,000 in repairs. Do you think that i am in the ball park with that range? Thank you, John
Hi John,

First to comment that the Morgan Out Island is acknowledged as a very good cruising boat - very strong - with its shallow draft,can go most places. Its prop well protected - skeg hung rudder.

I guess that you have checked the Morgan out yourself, rather than getting a surveyor to give you a full condition report ?

Survey Check List

Keeping in Mind that you have a good 30 year old sailboat

John, you seem to have covered quite a lot in your initial check of the boat - however what is not mentioned may be very important in terms of labour, repair, materials and component replacement costs. How about items such as :-

The Hull, This will need some non-destructive testing for any signs

of blistering and/or delamination.

The Rudder, the stock - bearings.

The Steering connected to the rudder.

The Spars.

Transmission under load

Prop shaft and cutlass bearing

Ground Tackle and Windlass

The Head

The Sinks

The Through Hull fittings and Sea Cocks

"33 FT. Morgan O.I. 1979 Perkins 50Hp. 4108. The motor was checked two weeks ago, it started and was run about 15 minutes off a jerry can, Has a leak that i could not locate around the back of the oil pan. All i really cared was it start."

Have a look at the engine pictured here :- Click image for larger version

Name:	Perkins_4_108.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	487

What you see is an engine that has been neglected - rust discolouration from salt water escaping from the heat exchanger or hoses/pipe fittings. Old oil collected in the engine bilge from leaks. Signs of engine overheating. Ply delaminating.

What was the condition of the transmission? Engine mounts and bearers? Did the engine have its own starting battery? What amperage was produced by the alternator ? What condition was the exhaust mixing elbow? Exhaust water good?

The Perkins 50Hp engine required plenty RPM to provide max hull speed (the shaft HP is rated at only 26HP) To Rebuild will cost around $8,000. If you contemplate re-engining then go for a naturally aspirated industrial engine that will produce 35/40HP at the prop shaft At around 2,000 RPM.

Prop turn both ways with no strange sounds. ?? How was this turned ?

The boat has a wheel tiller, when the wheel was turn the rudder did not move, the wheel turn free and easy, when i looked below there is a cable broke.

Did rudder move when moved by hand outside the boat?

Ok for a run down, I plan to have a lot of work did but I would like to do as much or it as I can myself.

Work and repairs to be farmed out :-

I plan to have a pro look at all the rest of the rigging

I will have a pro take care of the motor. I talk to a man $85 an hour and about 8 hours of work is what he thinks on it. I am not sure yet if I should just go ahead and replace the motor?

I plan to pay the yard to paint the bottom, Just because I am lazy.

Plan for a pro do ice box and A/C unit.

There is no Bimini so I do not know if I will make it or have done.

Well i think that is a good start,

I knew this would be a fixer up when i got the boat and feel like i got a good buy on it at the price, Right now i am thinking i have around $5,000 to $7,000 in repairs. Do you think that i am in the ball park with that range?

If you have to re-engine and farm out some important work - I estimate that you will be looking at close to around no less than $20, 000 to bring this boat up to a standard that will allow you to go cruising comfortably.

Richard